Little Things You Hate

mtb1611

Seymour
I'll vouch for that. I was married to a teacher for 17 years. A music teacher, who exclusively taught years 11 and 12.

Never saw him bring work home, most days he had half a day off with no scheduled classes, and 12 weeks paid holiday a year. In 17 years he never helped with the housework or cutting firewood, and expected praise heaped on him if he thought to wheel the bins out. I raised four kids, including his kid from his former marriage, with zero practical help whilst planting an orchard, herb and veggie garden, rainforest shade and working part time in a garden centre. Last four years I was also studying three Diplomas.

Too many reasons to list why a teacher makes the "ex" list.

I raised my teenagers alone with him sniping and sooking, thirteen years later he's still the gift that keeps on giving but at least my kids see him for the arse he is.
The fact he didn't pull his weight has nothing to do with his occupation; sounds like he was a tool, and would've been regardless of the field in which he worked (or didn't work). As an aside, kudos for the immense amount of work you obviously put in to raise your kids and continue your education.

Teaching's an occupation like any other and as such there's a great divergence in the quality of practitioners, but to tar all teachers with the same brush and assume that because one is shit they all must be, is plain silly and somewhat ignorant. Biggest problem with bad teachers is that that it's absurdly impossible to get rid of them - they're a protected species and unless they're stealing money or engaged in sexual misconduct with children, attempting to get rid of one is virtually pointless. The NSW department has a conduct unit but their powers are so limited it's bordering on farcical. Several years ago the notion was raised of enabling principals to hire and fire, authority we don;t currently have. Of course the Teachers Federation launched into outrage mode and it was canned. One of the self-appointed mouthpieces of the masses at the school I was at asked me if I'd like that authority; I said "Yep, 'cos I'd only have to do it once".

LTIH: systemic machinations that protect fucked employees.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ it's a bit like police and probably other occupations with a bit of authority, and Australian cultural preference to be unhappy rather than happy about stuff. Find a bad thing and bitch on it...and if that thing has an authority role all the better.

stirk

Burner
People who get on the train at 8am and stink of BO, sit next to me and it's so bad I have to move from fear the smell might seep into my clothes and skin and people at work will think I have the BO. Have a shower and use deodorant @&#$#&@!

mtb1611

Seymour
^ it's a bit like police and probably other occupations with a bit of authority, and Australian cultural preference to be unhappy rather than happy about stuff. Find a bad thing and bitch on it...and if that thing has an authority role all the better.
Exactly; it's also an occupation that everyone encounters at some point in their life, so the likelihood of coming across the good, the bad and the ugly - and the resultant opinions and perspectives - is pretty darn high.

golden path

Banned
I lived with a mate who's a teacher, for a couple of years. Seemed to me he did plenty of work, including preparation work in his own time.

Another mate is a secondary school teacher at a private school. He works hard.

And in all cases, they have to put up with other people's kids.....and parents who think schools and teachers are responsible for teaching their kids common decency etc, that the parents should have done themselves.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When the NSW dept of education openly spruiks: "Our teachers enjoy an enviable work/life balance and attractive working conditions" then about how high the salaries are and how much leave you get additional to the 12 weeks a year.. There is no wonder there is deadwood plodder teachers just sitting in the system mooching it dry.. Can't be sacked and don't have to work long hours. (It not just education dept btw)
I know of several teachers who worked for just 2 years then went on 7 years of maternity leave to raise 3 kids then got their job back on the same conditions as the current teachers who worked those 7 years.. The union has a lot to answer for.. As typical with a lot of the unions that are now irrelevant due to their own success (working conditions are now favourable) they now go about and stuff the system for everyone else so as to keep their own cushy union jobs and feel special playing politics lobbying gov.. Yet the industries that need strong union support because of shit or unsafe conditions don't have any support.

mtb1611

Seymour
When the NSW dept of education openly spruiks: "Our teachers enjoy an enviable work/life balance and attractive working conditions" then about how high the salaries are and how much leave you get additional to the 12 weeks a year.. There is no wonder there is deadwood plodder teachers just sitting in the system mooching it dry.. Can't be sacked and don't have to work long hours. (It not just education dept btw)
I know of several teachers who worked for just 2 years then went on 7 years of maternity leave to raise 3 kids then got their job back on the same conditions as the current teachers who worked those 7 years.. The union has a lot to answer for.. As typical with a lot of the unions that are now irrelevant due to their own success (working conditions are now favourable) they now go about and stuff the system for everyone else so as to keep their own cushy union jobs and feel special playing politics lobbying gov.. Yet the industries that need strong union support because of shit or unsafe conditions don't have any support.
Pretty much. Having said that, those sales pitches are made by contracted PR firms who simply lie; department personnel never set foot in schools and the vast majority of non-school based staff don;t have education backgrounds so in essence they're not actually in a position to attest to the actual role itself - sure as hell doesn't stop them though!

The union has a ridiculous amount to answer for and quite frankly I blame them for the proliferation of bad teachers and the inability of principals to rid the system of them. Having said that there comes a time when the Department has to stand up and say no, f&*k you, we're doing this. Won;t be holding my breathe though.....

mtb1611

Seymour
Agree entitlements is technically the right term, no need to be snappy...

A simple search found the employment conditions for vic, so no mate I am not plucking numbers out of thin air;
Quotes from;
http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/employcond/Pages/wrkhrsTS.aspx

Public Holidays- The public service don't work any of them correct, the majority of other industries work some if not all of them. Ask anyone in retail ,services, health.

Parent/Teacher Interviews: "Where attendance at a parent-teacher report meeting results in a teacherÂ’s attendance in that week exceeding 38 hours, that teacher will be granted time-in-lieu for the hours in excess of 38"

Pupil Free Days: Thanks for the correction.

7 Hour Work Day: "Unless otherwise agreed between the principal and a teacher, a teacher will be in attendance for a minimum of seven hours daily commencing no less than ten minutes before the morning pupil instructional session."

"When are camps and extra-curricular events organised? During class time? No. On weekends, on weeknights, during school holidays." - What are 8 weeks leave on top of the standard 4 weeks a year for? Teachers have explained to me it is essentially time in lieu for extra hours during term and for planning. Isn't there planning days during school hours as well?

2 hour meetings; "Unless otherwise agreed through the consultative arrangements, a schedule of meetings will be drawn up for the school year, using the consultative arrangements, which may require teachers to attend meetings of up to two hours per week in addition to the minimum of seven hours daily attendance, provided that where the meeting is a staff meeting it will be held adjacent to the normal school day and normally will be no longer than one hour."

So, I get it that the above is the minimum requirement and a lot of teachers do more than the minimum. A lot of other industries have significantly 'tougher' min conditions and I think that is where a few people like bardynt get annoyed.

Dunno whether your comments are directed at me or bardynt but where exactly did I tell you how to do your job?
Mixed up your post with bardynt's, he must've quoted your earlier post, apologies on that note.

The working conditions you list above do not apply in NSW; that's the system I work in. Victorian teachers are doing a dman sight better than teachers in the NSW public system, as there is no provision for time in lieu, no restrictions on the length of meetings (there are "guidelines" but they're nothing more than suggestions), no mention of a 38 hour working week, no stipulation of a 7 hour day and so on.

Might be time to move south....!

NB: people also neglect to take into consideration the emotional component of the job; for example in a couple of days, I'm attending a funeral for one of our Year 6 students who recently passed away due to cancer....that stuff has an impact and isn;t something you simply switch off when you walk out the door I can assure you.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Teachers having a skerick of authority...lols

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Vegans

Really that's all that needs to be said, but I've just travelled with a work colleague in Spain for a week or 2.

Typical restaurant search - reads menu top to bottom, sits down, asks waiter for vegetarian stuff on the menu, not happy, asks to speak to head waiter, explains that fish is not vegetarian (I disagree, shark are fish and aren't vegetarians - comment ignored). We order drinks, vegan orders some type of juice.

Decides she can't eat here and is going to look for somewhere else (premo seat will go begging). Comes back 15 minutes later after finding cafe in alley way with seats on side of hill. We try and settle bill for drinks, waiter thinks we are doing a runner..... have to wait until the mathematically challenged waiter can get an offical ticket added up by a computer.

Next place is pretty much the same as the previous, but decision was made by vegan, so she has to stand by it now.

Why do they choose to confirm the meme's......

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Biggest problem with bad teachers is that that it's absurdly impossible to get rid of them - they're a protected species and unless they're stealing money or engaged in sexual misconduct with children, attempting to get rid of one is virtually pointless. The NSW department has a conduct unit but their powers are so limited it's bordering on farcical. Several years ago the notion was raised of enabling principals to hire and fire, authority we don;t currently have. Of course the Teachers Federation launched into outrage mode and it was canned. One of the self-appointed mouthpieces of the masses at the school I was at asked me if I'd like that authority; I said "Yep, 'cos I'd only have to do it once".

Point well made.

Main reason my children are in private schools that one. The teachers I know do set themselves apart by constantly complaining about their job and telling anyone who will listen how hard they work, like above, 50 hours!!! There in lies the difficulty, teaching wants to be the respected "profession" but then compares themselves to non professions in the work hour stakes

golden path

Banned
I could see how that comes across..
Point was who wants their kid taught by somebody who has been on leave 3x longer than they have been a teacher.. Male or female..
Happens in other government jobs too mate.

Seems to be the current message is "Women, you can have it all! Blokes....you can't."

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Seems to be the current message is "Women, you can have it all! Blokes....you can't."
Of for fuck sake mate, can you just leave off with that shit?

You're a broken fucking record. You've got a lot of positive and useful stuff to contribute, why not leave the "I'm such a victim" bullshit aside for a while and stick with the positive stuff, eh?

moorey

call me Mia
NB: people also neglect to take into consideration the emotional component of the job; for example in a couple of days, I'm attending a funeral for one of our Year 6 students who recently passed away due to cancer....that stuff has an impact and isn;t something you simply switch off when you walk out the door I can assure you.
This. Statistically, 2 or 3 of my small group will be killed or take their own lives this year.

moorey

call me Mia

Of for fuck sake mate, can you just leave off with that shit?

You're a broken fucking record. You've got a lot of positive and useful stuff to contribute, why not leave the "I'm such a victim" bullshit aside for a while and stick with the positive stuff, eh?
Gotta be trolling.... no one outside of the United States thinks that white Christian men are persecuted....surely.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, let's not encourage discussion on this, please. We've been over it before and it just ends in sniping, which we can do without.

I'm not trying to censor anyone or any topics here but we all know what each other thinks and there is nothing to be gained by having threads derailed with arguing and the same bullshit we've already been through.

Let's all move on and sing kumbaya and shit.

golden path

Banned
Johnny, you're a massive fucking hypocrite.

Snipes at me, then posts "Let's not snipe at each other."

I'll post in whatever topic I want and discuss what I want.

If that doesn't suit....ban me again.

Last edited: