Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They normally couldn't care less, Haakon's offer was either under what the owner wanted or someone else has made a higher offer. If you make a really high offer they normally don't stop harassing you.
There's a lot of truth in this.

I have the name of the owner from the vendor statement but it’s a common name with 6 year old address and google is not helping find him.
Unfortunately that won't help much. The contracts will have terms specifically preventing such action and your conveyancer will ask about any agent involvement in the sale. Those agents love to get their fingers on any pie they can.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
“Offer accepted and waiting on paperwork” No idea what that really means, but I have faith in her covering her arse and not actually relaying my higher offer before ink hits the paper. Assuming that hasn’t happened already.

I’ll get over it, but I’ll be angry for a while yet.
Vendor has accepted the offer...and they are waiting for an exchange of contracts. During this period (in NSW) the vendor can still accept other offers. Once contracts exchange there is a cooling off period where the buyer can pull out. Most agents get pretty lazy at this point. What good is a small (say $5k) bump in price after all that hustle? They are a lazy bunch mostly. They also like to keep other potential buyers in limbo in case the buyer pulls out.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah I’ve inquired about properties that are long sold but the ad was “kept up to attract interest in other properties we have”... I told that agent what I thought about that practice!

It’s a pretty amoral game.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We have one of those immoral agents in Yackandandah who does whatever it takes to get a higher price .
Never come across it before.
Their practice is to be deliberately vague and steer the sale into a bidding war despite the fixed deliberately low price.
Prolly good for the buyer if it works but def sus .
I said I would never deal w him again as there are plenty of straight shooters elsewhere.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I hate everything about the housing market. sydney can get fucked. Arseholes with 12 investment properties can get fucked. Shithead agents can get fucked. NSW for doing fuck all to spread jobs out from sydney can get fucked. Arsehole suits who complain about having to work in parra or homebush and want to work in sydney can get fucked too. I just want a fucking house down south but everythings too fucking expensive and I keep getting out bid by arsehole investers adding another to the pile.

Pack of cunts.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Those pricks can die in a fire too. Getting stuck in with the power tools at 6am then after six months you don’t see the fuckers. Cheap shit reno’s that fall apart 3 years down the track on the poor bastards that bought the joint.

And no, I don’t eat avo toast at the cafe. I average 65hr work week and save 800 dollerydoos outta it trying to boost my deposit and still cant keep up.

Fuck I’m close to throwing it all in a managed share fund, reinvesting dividends and fucking off for a couple of years working cashies and riding bikes. See what happens, thats gotta be a nicer way to live.

Week 2 post surgery has commenced. Still unable to drive. But I got a new chair to sit in while I play computer games so thats nice.

scblack

Leucocholic
The fuck?

We all need to live somewhere. We don’t need to travel.

My house is a tiny 90sqm & one hell of a lot more efficient than what was there.

And I don’t have kids. But I still worry about them.
Yes the fuck...

If we care about CO2 emissions - we should not pick and choose where we want those emissions coming from. Its your total footprint that matters - not the fact that you personally have an issue with international travel.

Here is an article from your friends at Guardian. A small dwelling emits at least 80tonnes of CO2. A newly built dwelling, according to them takes 15-20 YEARS to recoup. A much better option is to refurbish the existing house, which then emits only 8tonnes of CO2. You could have renovated what was already there, and emitted only a tenth of the Co2.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/oct/14/carbon-footprint-house

So - it seems your carbon footprint is FAR FAR greater and worse than this girl accompanying some children. We all make choices of our environmental impact - you chose an action that has a massive Co2 impact.

The point is: you are criticising someone for international travel, due to the environmental impact they have, when you just recently made the choice to rebuild rather than renovate which means YOU added approx. 70tonnes Co2.

You called the world broken...so who broke it???

scblack

Leucocholic
Fuck I’m close to throwing it all in a managed share fund, reinvesting dividends and fucking off for a couple of years working cashies and riding bikes. See what happens, thats gotta be a nicer way to live.
Long term shares outperform housing so you are on the right track there.

Good luck getting in on the property cycle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Those pricks can die in a fire too. Getting stuck in with the power tools at 6am then after six months you don’t see the fuckers. Cheap shit reno’s that fall apart 3 years down the track on the poor bastards that bought the joint.

And no, I don’t eat avo toast at the cafe. I average 65hr work week and save 800 dollerydoos outta it trying to boost my deposit and still cant keep up.

Week 2 post surgery has commenced. Still unable to drive. But I got a new chair to sit in while I play computer games so thats nice.
Probably as a result of their own shoddy renovations. A house I wanted to buy last year (which kicked off my renovations thread) was picked up by renovators. It is a quaint old brick cottage cheese but had savage rising damp. It was on my route to the trails and one day they were there so we had a chat about it all. They were very confident there was no rising damp. Not sure who did their building inspection, even the agent was saying it had rising damp!

Put that cash into something, it isnt going to grow itself. I recommend being tax effective with it though. The government doesn't really need such a big chunk of your income...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The point is: you are criticising someone for international travel, due to the environmental impact they have, when you just recently made the choice to rebuild rather than renovate which means YOU added approx. 70tonnes Co2.

You called the world broken...so who broke it???
You don’t know the circumstances of the build, you don’t know it was a poorly built house from the ‘60s, made from almost totally asbestos panelling inside & out & the existing framing was utterly destroyed by termites. I’m surprised it didn’t collapse.

Nor that I built the new house on existing foundations & even kept the original pine floor & floor joists as they are old growth hardwood & untouched by termites.

Or that I chose most building materials based on their quality & longevity, not price. Or that I built with way higher sustainable building standards than required by regulation.

Or that I went out of my way to recycle & dispose of carefully my building waste, reducing landfill to one medium skip bin for the entire construction (excluding the asbestos...God knows where that ended up). And organised truck rolls to a minimum.

I do know that people who fly mostly do it for non-critical reasons & choose to fuck up the planet's future for their own immediate selfishness.

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
Well, scblack is technically correct - building a new house generates considerably more CO2 than adding energy efficiency upgrades to an existing dwelling. This is why the environmentalist mantra is reduce, reuse, recycle, in that order. It is praiseworthy that you took all measures to minimise operational and construction though, so don't take that as criticism.

The current impact of air travel is around 2.5% of global emissions, which is not nothing, but the bigger problem is the trend. Other industries such as power have done a great job of reducing carbon emissions by technology substitution, which means that flying is going to shoot up the leaderboard.
https://theconversation.com/its-tim...ng-impact-flying-has-on-the-environment-70953
So overall I don't scorn people for travelling given its many other benefits (including wealth transfer to poorer countries through tourism), but as a technology guy I want to see more progress on low-carbon mass transit options.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Agree w hifiandmtb that you have to live somewhere and if you do a better job environmentally than 90% of people you are ahead .
BUT international travel and housing are not mutually exclusive unless you plan to live on a plane and really cant be compared.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think hifi is making a good point. Why fly to Amsterdam to step in dogshit when you can stand in dogshit here.

I argued for years about the wasted money tripping to Japan for meetings that could have been video conferenced. Don't get me wrong, I loved the trips. Business class and minimum 4+ star hotels. Weekends off to stuff around Tokyo or Nagasaki or Nikko rpetc but as a business decision it was dumb and environmentally very naughty.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
At the risk of getting hopes up, vendor is apparently considering my late offer. I just went asking price no conditions, whereas the current offer is below asking and by the way the agent framed the question might have conditions on it. I guess no contract has been signed.

Sigh. Its a learning process - I'll be way more of a ruthless prick next time!