Little Things You Hate

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The fuck?

We all need to live somewhere. We don’t need to travel.

My house is a tiny 90sqm & one hell of a lot more efficient than what was there.

And I don’t have kids. But I still worry about them.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I did google it but struggled to find non biased sources without conflicting information that was specifically comparing an unladen plane to one that was full of passengers and I'd hoped to have an intelligent discussion about it rather than another emotionally clouded shitfest [shrug emoji].

Z

Zaf

I did google it but struggled to find non biased sources without conflicting information that was specifically comparing an unladen plane to one that was full of passengers and I'd hoped to have an intelligent discussion about it rather than another emotionally clouded shitfest [shrug emoji].
Not to oversimplify it (@johnny will be incoming to say how I'm wrong and offer a more detailed explanation than my 2mins offers), but it's kind of the major part of the equation, namely:

Drag
Thrust
Lift
Weight

For a plane to generate lift, it has to produce thrust to get air flowing over it's airfoil. If you add more weight, you need more lift, from here it's a fairly basic energy in equation to find the desired lift.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Not to oversimplify it (@johnny will be incoming to say how I'm wrong and offer a more detailed explanation than my 2mins offers), but it's kind of the major part of the equation, namely:

Drag
Thrust
Lift
Weight

For a plane to generate lift, it has to produce thrust to get air flowing over it's airfoil. If you add more weight, you need more lift, from here it's a fairly basic energy in equation to find the desired lift.
So with the weight of a single additional passenger being the only variable in the equation what is the total increase in CO2 emissions for the flight? Is there a linear correlation between mass and emissions or is it an exponential relationship?

Binaural

Eats Squid
The difference in fuel consumption between an unladen and loaded plane is significant but not as large as you'd think, around 20% (there are charts you can use to look this up). CO2 is proportional to that. You can fly an unladen 747 direct to London if the weather is good and you aren't worried about a diversion.

Z

Zaf

So with the weight of a single additional passenger being the only variable in the equation what is the total increase in CO2 emissions for the flight? Is there a linear correlation between mass and emissions or is it an exponential relationship?
Guessing it's more of a logarithmic relationship.
But depends on the aircraft as well, look at the old DHC-4 Caribou, generates ridiculous lift and can land on a dime, but in a strong enough headwind would fly backwards. In any case, there's a correlation between weight and lift, and with an plane, lift is generated through thrust in order to get air over the airfoil.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Real estate agents. Put an offer in by email, call to follow up leaving messages. Try to get hold of her for 3 days to be told she has been tied up and didnt check any messages.

And then told her colleague accepted an offer in the interim.

Its not murder when you take out a real estate agent right?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Guessing it's more of a logarithmic relationship.
But depends on the aircraft as well, look at the old DHC-4 Caribou, generates ridiculous lift and can land on a dime, but in a strong enough headwind would fly backwards. In any case, there's a correlation between weight and lift, and with an plane, lift is generated through thrust in order to get air over the airfoil.
Discussed in reasonable detail here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_aircraft

Airbus presented the following measures to save fuel, in its example of an A330 flying 2,500 nautical miles (4,600 km) on a route like Bangkok–Tokyo: direct routing saves 190 kg (420 lb) fuel by flying 40 km (25 mi) less; 600 kg (1,300 lb) more fuel is consumed if flying 600 m (2,000 ft) below optimum altitude without vertical flight profile optimization; cruising 0.01 mach above optimum consumes 800 kg (1,800 lb) more fuel; 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) more fuel on board consumes 150 kg (330 lb) more fuel while 100 litres (22 imp gal; 26 US gal) of unused potable water consumes 15 kg (33 lb) more fuel.
But yeah, it’d help if the plane never flew in the first place

Reactions: Zaf

safreek

Ltih, law system that does not punish enablers of child molesters, 12 months home detention for covering up for a prolific child rapist, disgusting.
And if you believe in the lord all you have to do is repent and you won't go to hell, win win for this filthy pig.
And the church still havnt booted him, what sort of church is that, church of the rock spiders

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The difference in fuel consumption between an unladen and loaded plane is significant but not as large as you'd think, around 20% (there are charts you can use to look this up). CO2 is proportional to that. You can fly an unladen 747 direct to London if the weather is good and you aren't worried about a diversion.
I would assume that the airlines use similar to calculate the amount of fuel required for a given payload but I couldn't get a hit for one off the interwebs, I don't suppose that you would have a link to hand?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think it's tops, last time we went to Europe we paid $100 extra for exit seats and they were available for both flights there and both flights home. When I used to fly a lot for work, and before we flew bizzo class I'd check in waaaay early to request an exit seat.
The real cunts are those who recline their seats all the way during the day!
I'm pretty sure I'd trust you, especially if the door quickly needed a handle machined up. I tend to purchase far too late to make the choice over the exit rows. I'm not jealous of those that have them, just think most of those people should let someone that can hold their shit together under pressure have the seat. Difficult to tell that from just looking I know...maybe. Pressure test at the boarding gate? There is certainly enough time to kill!

The real arseholes...the real arseholes are the pricks at the design lab working out just how little space cam be left between seats.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
So from this page http://www.carbonindependent.org/sources_aviation.html [38] European CORINAIR manual states that the Co2 emissions from aviation fuel are 3.15 grams per gram of fuel. In the example from the Wikipedia site referred above the A330 flying 4,600km would burn an additional 15kg more fuel with 100 litres of unused potable water, therefore in theory a 75kg passenger with 25kg of luggage would contribute an additional 47.25kg of CO2 for that journey.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Real estate agents. Put an offer in by email, call to follow up leaving messages. Try to get hold of her for 3 days to be told she has been tied up and didnt check any messages.

Ltih, law system that does not punish enablers of child molesters, 12 months home detention for covering up for a prolific child rapist, disgusting.
And if you believe in the lord all you have to do is repent and you won't go to hell, win win for this filthy pig.
And the church still havnt booted him, what sort of church is that, church of the rock spiders
I assume you're referring to the court case finalised in Newcastle today? Fuck that filthy cunt. Some of his supporters came into work today...all happy as Larry. Fuck them too. That sentence is fucking soft. Also...I have a feeling that the "cover up" charges are a politically chosen phrase for "committed..." Did these people give any thought to their victims welfare for all the years they have gotten away with it? I doubt it. This is a disappointing outcome.

So from this page http://www.carbonindependent.org/sources_aviation.html [38] European CORINAIR manual states that the Co2 emissions from aviation fuel are 3.15 grams per gram of fuel. In the example from the Wikipedia site referred above the A330 flying 4,600km would burn an additional 15kg more fuel with 100 litres of unused potable water, therefore in theory a 75kg passenger with 25kg of luggage would contribute an additional 47.25kg of CO2 for that journey.
What a magical substance thos shit is!!! 1 gram of fuel is able to produce 3.15 grams of carbon??? If only it was useful!!!

Another group of slippery eels! Buying or renting? If the markets hot they give zero fucks. My last purchase was through the worst and most unprofessional agents I've ever encountered!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Buying. Dream block in my hometown, ready to go all grand designs on it.

I’m so angry at present I feel like throwing up...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep, Binaural's comment adjusted the course of my searching from carbon emission to fuel consumption and I ended up there as well. Interesting note on that page where for an Airbus A380 the maximum payload of 84T (passengers, luggage and cargo) represents only 14.6% of the 575T maximum take off weight.
Passenger air liners carry tons of fuel in the wings as a ballast as well as fuel in a centre tank, Having fuel in the wings also slows down fatigue of the wings by less flexing. The required landing weight is normally less than take off weight as it stresses the body of the plane more, so they calculate the exact fuel usage and if they need to do an emergency landing they dump more before they land to get to the correct landing weight.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
What a magical substance thos shit is!!! 1 gram of fuel is able to produce 3.15 grams of carbon??? If only it was useful!!!
This one I can answer, jet fuel is a complex hydrocarbon and the process of combustion adds oxygen to the mix with one of the waste products being carbon dioxide CO2, this is where the additional mass is created.