Little Things You Hate

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Preliminary report is out:

Construction
There are a number of points noted on Level 10 of the building where construction
differed from design and / or Standards:
(a) Grouting: design drawings indicate that full grout coverage was expected
between the panel and the hob beam. However, during construction only the
inner surfaces of approximately 110mm width appear to have been grouted,
leading to an eccentric bearing load on the hob beam on Level 10. It should also
be noted that approved shop drawings show the grout extending over only the
inner portion of the hob beam to panel connection;
(b) Location of reinforcing steel in the vicinity of the connection between the hob
beam and columns C21 and C38 on Level 10, in particular, inadequate cover
concrete due to encroachment of discontinued (anchored) column bars into the
cover zone, and the placement of an electrical conduit within the cover zone in
this area;
(c) A dowel bar between the hob beam and the panel was observed to be
incomplete, possibly cut during construction;
(d) The original design drawings of the building indicate precast concrete panels
that were the same width as the hob beam upon which they rest (180 mm).
These were subsequently manufactured to be 200 mm in width. The panels
were erected so that they overhang the inside face of the hob beam by
approximately 20 mm; and
(e) Inadequate tensile capacity in the horizontal direction in the bottom region of
Panel A that rests on the hob beam spanning columns C21 and C38. There is
compelling evidence indicating that the wrong size reinforcing bars were placed
in this area during manufacture of this particular panel – 20 mm diameter bars
were used instead of 28 mm diameter bars (see Figure 8).
What a cluster fuck.

Binaural

Eats Squid
The fact that I am at work at 8pm, will be here hours yet, and am reading a zillion-page engineering report from which I must extirpate error. Seriously considering a nip of whiskey to keep me going.

Minlak

custom titis
That the Gillette ad is getting so much hate... Wtf is wrong with suggesting we can all be a bit better at being better human beings/men....?

Every sexist homophobic rant in response to it is simply proving the ad’d point... :(
This post makes me sad. I started a whole long retort and you know what you just won't get it anyway.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This post makes me sad. I started a whole long retort and you know what you just won't get it anyway.
I guess I won’t... I also don’t get why so many men feel threatened by pointing out that however many it is women are killed every week by men, or other men killed by aggro men.

Yeah, feminists clearly taking over...

Maybe you’re one of the good guys. Good on you. But don’t criticise the message because you can’t deny there is a problem with violence and sexual assaults. I challenge you to find a single woman in your life who hasn’t been in the receiving end of harrasemrnt at some point.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Oh. I found two new trails over there last week. They seemed well built and I assumed legal new trails. Was impressed that finally BCC has put in some new trails.

Are these the ‘unsanctioned’ trails ?
Yes, well built in my opinion but pretty sure they're unsanctioned. There's a bit of a legal battle going on with BCC and local Greenies about the Zip lines that has allegedly depleted a lot of funds & resources to close them down for now.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Must have been a decent organised trail building group. Council should be appreciative (yeah right !)
Yeah, I would say a large group was involved.

A lot of local politics involved but yeah when you pay something like $200 a meter (can't remember the exact figure) to build trails and someone builds trails that are fairly sustainable for free, everyone should have been appreciative. The big problem is that they didn't follow local protocol to build them in a sensitive area concerning greenies and the original land owners.

The "Lady of Gap Creek" if you know what I mean, takes claim to fame for the existence of the original trail network and is head of trail care ATM is sorta anti-down hill mentality and all trails must suit the family range type of trails, so realistically the place can't see any real progression in the trail types unless people build unsanctioned and besides that point, the place gets well overcrowded in peak times and any new trails are well welcomed by the locals.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Why is every male Australian tennis player since Pat Rafter a rampaging tosser? I don't mind watching a good game of tennis and looked up some current results earlier today and all I've read about is the punch up between a few of the dudes. Are these guys high school kids or what? I'm lost............

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Why is every male Australian tennis player since Pat Rafter a rampaging tosser? I don't mind watching a good game of tennis and looked up some current results earlier today and all I've read about is the punch up between a few of the dudes. Are these guys high school kids or what? I'm lost............
"Rampaging tosser" brings some alarming images to mind... :D

These dudes are actually just on Federer's payroll to help make him look even better.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Tomic is an absolute daydreaming flog, but Kyrgios is on the verge of finally maturing - his body is a bit iffy with injuries currently though so his form has slumped a fair bit.

Alex DeMinaur could be a champ in the making once he's had a couple of years to put on some muscle, and has a great attitude and tenacity and fight. Alex Bolt has probably been pretty lucky this tournament but has been surfing the wave of the crowd as has been entertaining to watch.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
You mean the bitching about Davis Cup selection? or an actual punch up... Yeah well, Bernard Tomic is definitely a whiny little bitch

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I used to help coach kids they all did the Leyley cmon etc. The coach said how about finding some Pat Rafter videos and do what he did? Settled them all down eventually. Pat is a gentleman, just like IBF (goluf).

Freediver

I can go full Karen
We just got a rolling blackout here in very hot West Footscray. I've been talking too long about going off grid but this is the final motivator.

Haakon

We just got a rolling blackout here in very hot West Footscray. I've been talking too long about going off grid but this is the final motivator.
Has anyone said why Yallourn is doing maintenance...? Surely its not scheduled during a heatwave to drive up wholesale pricing....

I used to advocate using the grid as your battery, but not so sure these days.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone said why Yallourn is doing maintenance...? Surely its not scheduled during a heatwave to drive up wholesale pricing....

This emergency blackout action was driven predominately by the failure of generators at EnergyAustralia's Yallourn power station and AGL's Loy Yang A power station, both in Victoria's Latrobe Valley.
EnergyAustralia had taken one of its generators at Yallourn offline on Thursday in order to carry out maintenance and shut down another early on Friday after it suffered a 'tube leak'. AGL had also shut down one of its generators at Loy Yang A on Thursday due to a 'tube leak'.

Advertisement
The breakdown of these generators removed approximately 1370 megawatts from of Victoria’s pool of energy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

How big do you want to go? I can do you a deal on 1000MW. You do permits though.

Haakon

This emergency blackout action was driven predominately by the failure of generators at EnergyAustralia's Yallourn power station and AGL's Loy Yang A power station, both in Victoria's Latrobe Valley.
EnergyAustralia had taken one of its generators at Yallourn offline on Thursday in order to carry out maintenance and shut down another early on Friday after it suffered a 'tube leak'. AGL had also shut down one of its generators at Loy Yang A on Thursday due to a 'tube leak'.

Advertisement
The breakdown of these generators removed approximately 1370 megawatts from of Victoria’s pool of energy.
Bloody unreliable renewables...