Little Things You Hate

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Any signwriters on RB? ;););)
I think @sane proposed the best idea. Get one of those $5 bike share helmets, peel off the sticker and affix to helmet of your choice.

(The above comments do not represent the views of Rotorburn as a fiefdom, or the attitudes of their sponsors Any illegal activity suggested is for comedic purposes only)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Marketing/price gouging springs to mind?
I deal with Australian Standards a lot and sit on working groups for some of the ones relevant to my occupation, generally the people involved in writing and revising the standards are either OEMs, industry experts or end users and in the case of helmets I doubt that many end users are invited to participate in this process. The preface to any Australian Standard details the technical committee responsible for the content which in the case is CS-014 and although the authors names aren't published the following organisations a listed as having representatives on the committee.

Association of Accredited Certification Bodies
Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
Australian Cycling Federation
Australian Industries Group
Australian Retailers Association
Bicycle Federation of Australia
Bicycle Industries Australia
Department of Fair Trading NSW Consumer Protection Agency
Department of Fair Trading, Tourism and Vine Industries, Qld
New Zealand helmet testing interests
Retail Cycle Traders Australia
Road and Traffic Authority of NSW
Royal Australian College of Surgeons
University of New South Wales

Typically standards are reviewed every ten years and seeing how the last published version of AS/NZS 2063 was in 2008 I wouldn't be surprised if a new version will be available for public comment soon. Generally if an Australian Standard already exists and is considered superior to the international equivalent then the committee won't consider harmonising it.

Interestingly the fact that MTBA reference the standard as AS2063 presents a technical loophole because the legal name of the latest version is AS/NZS 2063:2008 and it has been a joint Australian / New Zealand standard since 1996.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The consumerism/price gouging comment was tongue in cheek, but that explanation makes sense. Wasn't the whole differant standard bought about because someone didn't like the straps on the original Fox Flux as @Binaural alluded to up there ^, wouldve been about '08?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The rest of Australia happy runs on equivalent standards, why is this different?
You need to read this for the history....stackhat-iconic-brand-that-helped-kill.html

"So they kept trying to force these helmets on us, and we kept ignoring them. Soon enough, they started getting in the politician's ears. Rosebank were particularly insidious. Not only did they go to work on the Victorian government, they also got in the ear of Standards Australia, making sure that the new Australian Standard for bicycle helmets, which was being developed ahead of compulsory helmet legislation, would favour them over other manufacturers. Key to this was the "resistance to penetration" test, which the lightweight well ventilated fabric covered polystyrene helmets of the time failed, but of course the Stackhat passed. Note of course there was no maximum weight test, nor ventilation test. The standards, like the helmets, were developed by a committee of bureaucrats, not cyclists.

Even the bike shops were complicit. They did the maths. Five million cyclists times $80 per helmet equals a hell of a lot of profit. Standards Australia had done a very good job of stitching the market up, so there was zero overseas competition. Even though there were perfectly good overseas standards that could be used, like Snell and BSA, these weren't going to be allowed on our precious Australian heads. Markups could be stratospheric, and they were and still are."

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Completely get the tongue in cheek nature of your comment but also felt a burning need to affirm my superiority relating to what is possibly the most boring subject matter around ;) (the inner workings of Australian Standards)
I obviously haven't bothered to purchase a copy of the standard to verify any of this but I do recall a discussion where a lot of the standard has just been carried over through the years and most of that content was originally written by the then directors of the company who sold the OG Stackhat helmets including the retention requirements that make up the main differences to the international equivalents.

EDIT: bear the bear spreads the good word

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I think @sane proposed the best idea. Get one of those $5 bike share helmets, peel off the sticker and affix to helmet of your choice.

(The above comments do not represent the views of Rotorburn as a fiefdom, or the attitudes of their sponsors Any illegal activity suggested is for comedic purposes only)
They are designed not to peel rather tear.....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Ok so on reading that it looks like the consumerism/marketing wasn't far of the truth

They are designed not to peel rather tear.....
Going back to @sane comment, cut out the middleman (signwriter)...luckily I run a print business.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Ok so on reading that it looks like the consumerism/marketing wasn't far of the truth
Completely, even today it is almost inevitable that a standards committee will have several "opportunistic" members who will push for the latest technology/safety initiatives which they just happen to also sell/have a vested interest in... the sad truth is that without them our industry standards wouldn't have progressed to be some of the safest in world.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I just thought I'd peel one of for shits and giggles and it came of no worries but now it's got void written all over it.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need to read this for the history....stackhat-iconic-brand-that-helped-kill.html

"So they kept trying to force these helmets on us, and we kept ignoring them. Soon enough, they started getting in the politician's ears. Rosebank were particularly insidious. Not only did they go to work on the Victorian government, they also got in the ear of Standards Australia, making sure that the new Australian Standard for bicycle helmets, which was being developed ahead of compulsory helmet legislation, would favour them over other manufacturers. Key to this was the "resistance to penetration" test, which the lightweight well ventilated fabric covered polystyrene helmets of the time failed, but of course the Stackhat passed. Note of course there was no maximum weight test, nor ventilation test. The standards, like the helmets, were developed by a committee of bureaucrats, not cyclists.

Even the bike shops were complicit. They did the maths. Five million cyclists times $80 per helmet equals a hell of a lot of profit. Standards Australia had done a very good job of stitching the market up, so there was zero overseas competition. Even though there were perfectly good overseas standards that could be used, like Snell and BSA, these weren't going to be allowed on our precious Australian heads. Markups could be stratospheric, and they were and still are."
That’s a good read, thanks bear.

I particularly like the idea in the comments that we should be producing the world’s best helmets. We’ve been forcing everyone to wear them for nearly 30 years, how do we not set the benchmark? At the very least Au should have devised a helmet that does not produce helmet hair since this is the only place in the world (yeah, maybe NZ too) where you have to wear one to bolt down the shop to pick up a loaf of bread.

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
I hate Gumtree no-shows. The buyer emailed me that he wanted to desperately grab my free kids swing set to give as a BDAY present (what a tight ass).
Organized a time, left work early so I could meet him at my place to help him load swings on his trailer.
So i get home, im waiting, waiting, waiting.....
I email the f@cker to see if he is going to come.
NO RESPONSE
How bloody hard is it to let someone know you cant / wont make it???

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I hate Gumtree no-shows. The buyer emailed me that he wanted to desperately grab my free kids swing set to give as a BDAY present (what a tight ass).
Organized a time, left work early so I could meet him at my place to help him load swings on his trailer.
NO RESPONSE
new to gumtree?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
NO RESPONSE
Fuck gumtree.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I knew it burned, I didn’t think he died in it?
Yes sadly, particapting in an event at Eastern Creek raceway, brakes faded and hit concrete barrier. Been years but if memory serves me right there was charges laid for the organisers, not sure of the outcome.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Poor guy.

As a young fella at the time I idly imagined I could get an Alfa ‘6 put in the middle of mine at some point.

I still miss that car and would buy it back if it ever appeared.