Little Things You Hate

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Been driving in a brand new Corolla all week. Aside from the phenomenal amount of safety tech (radar cruise, speed limit recognition, auto high beam, lane assist...the list goes on) it was a rather horrid car.

Engine/transmission is woeful, not particularly economical & the interior packaging made no sense seeing as how big the car actually is. Handling is vague, damping cheap. It even has a plastic steering wheel. Good stereo but.

Getting back in the Polo with the Konis & bushes & steering rack mods & size & all that. Bloody lovely.
Don't get me started on Toyotas... the rant is real!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Don't get me started on Toyotas... the rant is real!
Don’t want to poke the bear but have been making a list of cars for the next family car and I just don’t get why people buy Toyota’s. No value for money, expensive service and parts once your advantage service special is up and had a ride in a friends Kluger, plastic everywhere, woeful entertainment system, average performance all for $50k!!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
People perceive Toyota to make good reliable cars. Look at the Hilux, pretty much mid pack in class yet top seller or there abouts. We have two older Tojo 4bys but I could never think of any of their new cars in our driveway. I doubt that our 4by will be replaced by a Toyota but they may surprise me with something new. I like vanilla but not on four wheels. Supra doesnt count but I wouldnt have one of those either.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
My partner bought a 3 year old Corolla about 10 years ago. Other than brake pads, tyres and oil and coils + plugs it hasn't had a cent spent on it..
I drove an old BJ for years, ran it on vege oil a lot of the time so had to get the valves ground but other than that only consumables got replaced.
I don't know if it's still the case but they do have a rep for being reliable.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Never said they weren’t reliable. Just soul destroying.

I need some dynamics in my driving experience.
Odd, the new one got some good write ups for being dynamically decent. I even didn’t mind the previous gen, have had some good fun in them as rentals and it had dynamic decent enough to get into it, especially the manual one I got in NZ.

I think Toyota hides the handling by making them so vanilla in the way they feel. It is there in new ones, you just have to push to find it :)

Mind you, I like CVTs though... I just think they’re good engineering and I don’t get the hate.

I’d never buy one (or perhaps I might in the high output hybrid wagonwe don’t get here...).

Last edited:

Haakon

People perceive Toyota to make good reliable cars. Look at the Hilux, pretty much mid pack in class yet top seller or there abouts. We have two older Tojo 4bys but I could never think of any of their new cars in our driveway. I doubt that our 4by will be replaced by a Toyota but they may surprise me with something new. I like vanilla but not on four wheels. Supra doesnt count but I wouldnt have one of those either.

Jpez

Down on the left!
My missus owned a ‘86 when they first came out.
It was a wicked little drivers car. No bells and whistles. Just good good fun solid car.
That thing spent more time sideways than going straight.

Only reason she sold it was our first kid came along. She absolutely refused to sell it until the kid was about 6mths old. maintaining that turning the baby’s car seat sideways to thread it into the back seat wasn’t child abuse.

That was the last proper h pattern gearbox car we had.
So sad at the demise of the old fashioned gearbox.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
It was a wicked little drivers car. No bells and whistles. Just good good fun solid car.

Only reason she sold it was our first kid came along. She absolutely refused to sell it until the kid was about 6mths old. maintaining that turning the baby’s car seat sideways to thread it into the back seat wasn’t child abuse.

Actually, Jpez just jangled my memory.
In high school my mate had a red 4AGE Corolla.
It was an absolute firecracker.
Insane redline and go kart chassis.

But that's the only one, all the rest were/are shite

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Never said they weren’t reliable. Just soul destroying.

I need some dynamics in my driving experience.
Should take my 75series for a drive. It’s handling will blow your mind.

Car so good they even made an anime about it!

Never should have sold it. Worth a small fortune now, all the drift kiddies want one

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Been driving in a brand new Corolla all week. Aside from the phenomenal amount of safety tech (radar cruise, speed limit recognition, auto high beam, lane assist...the list goes on) it was a rather horrid car.

Engine/transmission is woeful, not particularly economical & the interior packaging made no sense seeing as how big the car actually is. Handling is vague, damping cheap. It even has a plastic steering wheel. Good stereo but.

Getting back in the Polo with the Konis & bushes & steering rack mods & size & all that. Bloody lovely.
Comparing the handling of a stock vehicle with one that has been modified to improve handling seems kinda skewed. That said, my Toyota handles like shit and is slow ... it does weigh 2.3t though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Odd, the new one got some good write ups for being dynamically decent. I even didn’t mind the previous gen, have had some good fun in them as rentals and it had dynamic decent enough to get into it, especially the manual one I got in NZ.

I think Toyota hides the handling by making them so vanilla in the way they feel. It is there in new ones, you just have to push to find it :)

Mind you, I like CVTs though... I just think they’re good engineering and I don’t get the hate.

I’d never buy one (or perhaps I might in the high output hybrid wagonwe don’t get here...).
Did you forget that I live in the RNP & have driven these roads for the last 20 years? Likely driven over 100 different cars in that period, as I drive out of tourist times I’ve got room to explore dynamics.

Corolla is ordinary. Very. I even tried pumping up the tyres to 40psi to get some precision. Never found it.

And I read today that it had a 2.0l engine! If I was to guess, I’d have said 1.6l.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Comparing the handling of a stock vehicle with one that has been modified to improve handling seems kinda skewed. That said, my Toyota handles like shit and is slow ... it does weigh 2.3t though.
Maybe. But the gulf is huge regardless.

The Polo is a cheap car yet has excellent base dynamics.

Haakon

Did you forget that I live in the RNP & have driven these roads for the last 20 years? Likely driven over 100 different cars in that period, as I drive out of tourist times I’ve got room to explore dynamics.

Corolla is ordinary. Very. I even tried pumping up the tyres to 40psi to get some precision. Never found it.

And I read today that it had a 2.0l engine! If I was to guess, I’d have said 1.6l.
Didn’t forget, didn't know. I’m Victorian, everything north of the Murray is a bit of a blur... Think I drove through the Royal once, looked like a nice cycling road ruined by cars :) But it also was billiard table smooth if I recall? I like lumpy roads for proper handling tests :)

Dunno, most memorable Corolla drive was in the just replaced model on the Milford Sound road - all I know is that it came to the party when I seriously got on it.

Sure it’s not as good as the Alfa (but better than my non sport Megane...) and it’s not amazing and clearly set up to be neutral and idiot proof, but it wasn’t bad.

You’re used to turbos I suspect with flatter torques - the Corolla is like the Mazda 3 an NA DI engine and you need to rev them...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Go punt a Mitsi 380. 28 psi front, 42 psi rear and the pig of a thing still understeered like a snow plough. Plus the (admittedly early) version of a fly-by-wire throttle didn't help. I could get the accelerator pedal to touch carpet and back without any change of engine revs. Horrible drivers car.

However, we did quite a bit of Adelaide-Mildura highway touring and for that it was actually pretty good. Plenty grunt, quiet motor, factory sound system loud enough to not hear myself sing.

Haakon

I still rated the little Clio I had though... Rock stock base model just with some bigger RE003s on it - lumpy country road handling was so much fun, really confidence inspiring to keep pushing - was fun exploring that and keeping momentum up with the 900cc triple singing at full tilt ;)

Haakon

Go punt a Mitsi 380. 28 psi front, 42 psi rear and the pig of a thing still understeered like a snow plough. Plus the (admittedly early) version of a fly-by-wire throttle didn't help. I could get the accelerator pedal to touch carpet and back without any change of engine revs. Horrible drivers car.

However, we did quite a bit of Adelaide-Mildura highway touring and for that it was actually pretty good. Plenty grunt, quiet motor, factory sound system loud enough to not hear myself sing.
Geez... I might be doing it wrong. I liked the 380. Maybe “rental car” is the common theme here, but had a new rental 380 when I came across a great set of twistys heading inland from Port Macquarie - I had to stop twice for the transmission to cool down and come out of limp mode, but I found the chassis and brakes very good and very chuckable for such a big car. The traction control was nicely done too and allowed a good amount of inside wheel spin out of corners to make it dance a little for fun, but gave great steering feedback without being too torque steery as it scrabbled for traction.