Little Things You Hate

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I don't want to hate local bike shops, so I'll hate parts importer/distributors. Just spent an hour calling 10 shops within 45 minutes of home. I want an ISCG adapter plate. The last one I called had them in stock. Generic unbranded - $49. Another called me back to say they can get one by Friday ... E-13 brand - $49.95

Jenson sell the E13 for $16. I can buy a dozen different no name things on Amazon for $10-15. Do they really get why we use online, overseas suppliers?
I wonder to myself.

"I've worked here for 15 years and nobody ever asked for one before"

yeah, I believe you, especially because 2 minutes ago you had no idea what it even was, and had to ask the mechanic .... smartarse. sigh ....

My nearest lbs closed permanently last week ......

Last edited:

wkkie

Eats Squid
I don't want to hate local bike shops, so I'll hate parts importer/distributors. Just spent an hour calling 10 shops within 45 minutes of home. I want an ISCG adapter plate. The last one I called had them in stock. Generic unbranded - $49. Another called me back to say they can get one by Friday ... E-13 brand - $49.95

Jenson sell the E13 for $16. I can buy a dozen different no name things on Amazon for $10-15. Do they really get why we use online, overseas suppliers?
I wonder to myself.

yeah, I believe you, especially because 2 minutes ago you had no idea what it even was, and had to ask the mechanic .... smartarse. sigh ....

You could have put up a wanted ad on here. Surely someone has one in a tool box they don't want anymore. I think I might even have one if you haven't ordered one yet.

FigBo0T

You could have put up a wanted ad on here. Surely someone has one in a tool box they don't want anymore. I think I might even have one if you haven't ordered one yet.
I didn't think of that, because it's just a crap piece of pressed metal. Cheers mate.

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert

I wonder to myself.

yeah, I believe you, especially because 2 minutes ago you had no idea what it even was, smartarse. sigh ....

I bet most of them buy something online themselves these days instead of supporting a local shop, the only difference is that some of them might support MTB events or riders.

I don't usually bother anymore unless it's something basic but the last time I was in a LBS the owner had a go at me for looking at the quality difference of some grips they had in stock on a rack and I almost told him to F-Off. They expect you to make a choice in 1 second and regret it the moment you walk out of the shop and I had been using this shop for years too.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

I bet most of them buy something online themselves these days instead of supporting a local shop, the only difference is that some of them might support MTB events or riders.

I don't usually bother anymore unless it's something basic but the last time I was in an LBS the owner had a go at me for looking at the quality difference of some grips they had in stock on a rack and I almost told him to F-Off. They expect you to make a choice in 1 second and regret it the moment you walk out of the shop and I had been using this shop for years too.
I had a similar thing at Xmas time. Was grips too. Don't stock lock ons (except in Giant branding). "you used to keep a bunch of Jetblack ones" I say, and the reply "yeah, but I didn't like them, they're too hard" he didn't get my money either.
AFAIK, he sponsors the local BMX track and club, so I don't want to hate him, but ......

nathanm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't want to hate local bike shops, so I'll hate parts importer/distributors.

retail is totally screwed. Buyers want to buy everything at the cheapest price they can get online. Stores pay wages and rent and electricity etc and simply cannot complete with online. They also cannot stock every product everyone wants because stock on hand is lost money.

What they can do is good service for new bike buyers and good service when it comes to repairs. all those gloves and knee pads and stuff are really only there for cashed up buyers who are dropping fat stacks on some bling so they can have all the gear and no idea. Plus for newbies all that stuff looks cool. My beautiful girlfriend is like a bower bird in my lbs.

They are never going to be able to sell parts below cost to riders who build and service there own stuff. It's like a chef going into a michelin star restaurant and wanting to buy fried chicken at KFC prices.

Daniel Hale

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Princes hwy to Geelong here in Melbourne. A few months ago a big roadie event. Hundreds of them in bunches all the way along the freeway heading to Geelong.
I finally make it to my exit off ramp to find a group of about 50 just riding straight across it without even looking out for traffic coming off forced me to stop still on the freeway while these muppets mosied across the exit completely ignoring the sign saying ‘cyclists cross with care
Round the Bay?

moorey

Boom!
retail is totally screwed. Buyers want to buy everything at the cheapest price they can get online. Stores pay wages and rent and electricity etc and simply cannot complete with online. They also cannot stock every product everyone wants because stock on hand is lost money.

What they can do is good service for new bike buyers and good service when it comes to repairs. all those gloves and knee pads and stuff are really only there for cashed up buyers who are dropping fat stacks on some bling so they can have all the gear and no idea. Plus for newbies all that stuff looks cool. My beautiful girlfriend is like a bower bird in my lbs.

They are never going to be able to sell parts below cost to riders who build and service there own stuff. It's like a chef going into a michelin star restaurant and wanting to buy fried chicken at KFC prices.
Good prices at LBS’s isn’t usually the issue, it’s good customer service, and a clue about bikes and repairs.
I have a great one for the latter. Unfortunately, their Shimano wholesale is the price of online retail. Nothing they can do about that. I support them whenever and however I can still, but have to rely on quite a few used parts to keep the fleet operational.

DMan

Sorry, I'm a kiwi
Good prices at LBS’s isn’t usually the issue, it’s good customer service, and a clue about bikes and repairs.
I have a great one for the latter. Unfortunately, their Shimano wholesale is the price of online retail. Nothing they can do about that. I support them whenever and however I can still, but have to rely on quite a few used parts to keep the fleet operational.
That's why we support our 2hr away LBS. They offer great service and strangely know a lot more about bikes than me?! They even talk to me nicely when I ring with stupid questions....

FigBo0T

I have something that looks like too. I'll check when home
Everyone has one, except me .... and the bike shops .... :rolleyes:

That's why we support our 2hr away LBS. They offer great service and strangely know a lot more about bikes than me?! They even talk to me nicely when I ring with stupid questions....
I just drove 15 minutes to one like that. They were the ones who called back. They were the only ones who didn't need me to explain wtf I was talking about. I didn't order it, and explained why, but I did buy a cut to length inner and outer shifter cable, a puncture kit, and some bike wash that was on special.
@nathanm price is not the big issue (although $15 to $50 is pretty big) it's more about caring and wanting to supply us. Hawkesbury Cycles for the win. It looks like they've joined some kind of distribution group

Last edited:

moorey

Boom!
05. That's the one.
Not for the Nomad, for the DunCon. Nomad has a nice E13 guide on it. I have a Blackspire one off the Norco which I want to put on the DunCon.
An '05 4-cross bike that really should have had ISCG tabs.
Did you hire a hand model?:p
My hands reflect my pen pushing life....when not covered in bike grease.
I’ll chuck it in the post for you....if I remember.

FigBo0T

My hands reflect my pen pushing life....when not covered in bike grease.
I’ll chuck it in the post for you....if I remember.
Hold onto it for a few days please. I reckon I might need some more bits and pieces that you probably have. I don't know what they might be yet, but you probably have them and need to get rid of them .. . The Amstaff has been relegated to pavement duties for the time being, so not likely to have excessive chain drop.