Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Good point.
But is it a point, or just your general hate of tradesmen?
Just an observation... I'm having some work done on a house at present where I cant even see what's been done and relying entirely on a project manager on the ground. I'm hoping to not need a tradie rant when i eventually get to see the work...

Reactions: Zaf

Minlak

custom titis
Theres no formalisation in training or industry standard on wrenching bikes. If you hold the tools, you can claim mechanic status, which makes it a real luck of the draw thing with regards to quality of worksmanship.

Suspensiom servicing is at least formalised through distribution networks and licensing. Think that's why it you know a good mechanic, use them. Even if they don't rench directly, they're still overseeing those that do and have a work ethic and knowledge base to enforce or tap into.

General rule of thumb i have is to assume everyone is incompetent until proven or reported otherwise by a reliable source. Not too bad a life lesson either.
Actually there is a formal course

However not mandatory in the industry and only a cert 3 so you know expensive toilet paper

Flow-Rider

Burner
Formalisation of training doesn't make getting a competant automotive mechanic any less of a gamble...
No one but governments to blame here, everything is outdated in most govt training facilities and Australians seems to have the mentality of fuck him I refuse to teach him because he's gunna steel me $2/hr job, so then they bring in qualified mechanics from overseas that don't even know our standards. Now it's even worse I've been told with inhouse training org's that get paid on passes and not fails.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
only place I can find the part is in Victorian shop that lately seems to take forever to get delivery from - decided to pay the $15 extra fee for express shipping - annnnddddd didn’t even get shipped today - paid $15 extra to not see it for a week like normal - sigh
ordered something from the GP store for the F1 mad kid on August 6. 12 scanning points in aus post melbourne on August 8. The only update since then was one saying it is delayed on august 13. I get they are running under capacity, but aus post is really something i try and avoid from any online store. maybe stores are getting better rates there but its something i consider before placing any order knowing how bad the service is

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There are good and bad exponents in all professions. Holy shit I have worked with other engineers who are prime candidates for post natal abortion. However if there is a formalised structure that is mandatory and assessed then that is a big step in the right direction. Sure it really only means the person is competent to a standard on the day of assessment and things can go awry from there but at least some training was conducted.

It has been my privildge to work with some incredibly talented tradespeople and my sadness to work with some incredibly dumb people who hold degrees and doctorates. Life is like that.

At the end of the day if you have indentures or a diploma/degree etc you are considered trained. Well not by @Haakon but we cannot please everybody. Throwing someone in to a job without formal training is rarely going to end well. That is without getting into the huge disparities in pay.

Haakon

There are good and bad exponents in all professions. Holy shit I have worked with other engineers who are prime candidates for post natal abortion. However if there is a formailsed structure that is mandatory and assessed then that is a big step in the right direction. Sure it really only means the person is competent to a standard on the day of assessment and things can go awry from there but at least some training was conducted.

It has been my privildge to work with some incredibly talented tradespeople and my sadness to work with some incredibly dumb people who hold degrees and doctorates. Life is like that.

At the end of the day if you have indentures or a diploma/degree etc you are considered trained. Well not by @Haakon but we cannot please everybody. Throwing someone in to a job without formal training is rarely going to end well. That is without getting into the huge disparities in pay.
There is a bell curve of capability in every profession... Trained or not.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There is a bell curve of capability in every profession... Trained or not.
Yes but if training is part of the profession then the middle is not the mean, it is somewhere left of that providing a majority of competent operators.

No, that is badly worded. Should be a large majority who know their shit and more than half that are good at it. Base level of knowledge is not the average.

Haakon

Yes but if training is part of the profession then the middle is not the mean, it is somewhere left of that providing a majority of competent operators.

No, that is badly worded. Should be a large majority who know their shit and more than half that are good at it. Base level of knowledge is not the average.
Im probably going to be corrected by someone who does maths/stats better than me (ie most people), but the bell curve is still a bell curve - the definition/metric of competence just changes. or something...

not sure about other trades, but what ive seen of the automotive game is that its all a bit light on for teaching the tradesmanship (is that a word?) and only good at producing parts exchangers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A bell curve doesn't always fit the raw data...and if everybody has passed and then been squeezed into a ball curve, the zero point would be the minimum standard for passing the qualificationin question.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Actually there is a formal course
3 qualifications and 23 UOC's.
https://training.gov.au/Search/Trai...ptEnabled=true&typeAllTrainingComponents=true

The course I'm doing at the moment and halfway through is TAE40116 - Training and Assessment, so I will be able to deliver training and assess UOC's to level 3.... Tell you what, I'd rather be learning how to fix a headset or service suspension.
My course is over the top, 20+ hours a week of my own time in addition to 1 day a week on campus. Its bullshit... rant over.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Meh, I was talking skill levels not splitting it into just a trade by trade basis.

Thinking further a normal distribution is not the only statistical approach and it isnt one size fits all. If you take all persons of a particular trade or profession then everyone possess that skill. What does a normal distribution of that populatipn tell you? Competence? Best? Fastest? Biggest dick?

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Automotive tradies are suffering the same as printing tradies. I shit all over the head printer where I work in terms of quality, consistency, fewer rejected jobs etc, but because he gets work out faster he's The Chosen One and he can do no wrong.

Quantity beats quality these days.