Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
SHIFTER REAR
Shimano SLX SL-M7100-IR I-Spec EV

REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano XT RD-M8100

Product managers, this should be the other way round!!
Its always been that way on OEM specs... Derailleur is the obvious bling that looks cool on the shop floor and brochures.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Its always been that way on OEM specs... Derailleur is the obvious bling that looks cool on the shop floor and brochures.
I guess, but if you know what SLX <-> XT is then wouldn't you appreciate why you'd want an XT shifter and SLX rear mech instead?

Also this is all wrong for me -

SHIFTER REAR
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano XT RD-M8100
CASSETTE
Shimano SLX, 10-51, 12 Speed
CHAIN
Shimano Deore
CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M610, 30T, 170mm (XXS - S), 175mm (M - XL)

My take -

SHIFTER REAR
Shimano XT
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Deore
CASSETTE
Shimano Deore
CHAIN
Shimano Deore
CRANKSET
Shimano SLX

Product management budgets notwithstanding!

Haakon

I guess, but if you know what SLX <-> XT is then wouldn't you appreciate why you'd want an XT shifter and SLX rear mech instead?

Also this is all wrong for me -

SHIFTER REAR
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano XT RD-M8100
CASSETTE
Shimano SLX, 10-51, 12 Speed
CHAIN
Shimano Deore
CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M610, 30T, 170mm (XXS - S), 175mm (M - XL)

My take -

SHIFTER REAR
Shimano XT
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Deore
CASSETTE
Shimano Deore
CHAIN
Shimano Deore
CRANKSET
Shimano SLX

Product management budgets notwithstanding!
Yes, but you and I and most people on this forum know what we are looking at. Joe Consumer just wants to be able to obviously see the bling.

I went Deore everything except for an XT shifter ;)

Haakon

I remember buying my first proper mountain bike (the Mongoose, still got it) way back in 2000, and I upgraded the rear mech to XT because i didnt know it was the shifter that was key to nice changes. It looked sweet though :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Remember when THOSE photos erupted in Australian media? Later to be determined as not her. I was visiting a friend who worked for the media outlet that broke the story and got to see them before they were edited and sent live. Life has many regrets.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For 12spd, the SLX derailleur cage is considerably thinner/flexier than the 12spd XT.

I did a good comparison of the 2 of them in my hands.

If buying new, I would definitely go the extra $40 for the XT.

ozzybmx

The cage or the parallelogram mechanism? The cage doesn’t do much for shifting precision.
The cage holding the 2 jockeys ?

It actually feels a sturdier piece of kit, though unlike SRAM, I would say there would be zero shifting difference, its just a more solid feeling unit if it took a hit.

Where SRAM, they leave out all the good bits like bearings, bushes, decent springs, pulleys and important shit that makes them shift.

ozzybmx

Have you compared Deore and XT (6100 vs 8100)?
Its only because I bought both M7100 and M8100, I had a bit of a play with them.

After my negative experience across the X0, GX, NX and SX range, I am a little more interested in the differences.

BTW, the only negative about X0 is the price because it shifts really well.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It does if it's bent....
The alignment of the top pulley in relation to the cassette is what bring precision into the shifting. The top pulley must be in line with & parallel with the cassette.

I fail to see what the bottom pulley position has to do with anything, within reason.