Little Things You Hate

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Pedestrians on shared pathways who look everywhere except where they're going, then when they nearly run into you you're the bad guy, just for being on a bike.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Getting a flat on your way to work, only to discover that your saddlebag has fallen off.

Anybody find a saddlebag on belco way (Canberra) lately?
While riding to work once I found a saddlebag lying on the bike path on the lead-up to the Anzac bridge. I took a quick look inside and found a bunch of music books, money, phone etc. I called the unlucky guy when I got to work, and it turns out he was an opera singer at the Sydney opera house, and he took me out for dinner to say thanks. Here's hoping you had a business card or something in there!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The hairy little bag of noise that may be very loosely be described as a "dog" next door. How the fark can something so small be so bloody loud? I feel like dropping a couple of phone books on it.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
People who spout vacuous anti-GM, anti-vaccine, anti water flouridation, generally hippy crap. Especially via social media where everyone can be an expert. I have no objection to people having an opinion, however if you want to ban something like GM or vaccination, please back it up with arguments that consist of more than catchy slogans, dodgy websites and journal articles that have been retracted and discredited. These issues have implications for both public and individual health and warrant understanding before spreading your opinion.

MasterOfReality

After forever
The hairy little bag of noise that may be very loosely be described as a "dog" next door. How the fark can something so small be so bloody loud? I feel like dropping a couple of phone books on it.
My neighbour has two of these shitbag ankle biters (chihuahuas), and despite several requests, makes no attemp to shut the things up at night. At one stage they were going off at 10 am, 1am, 3am and then 5am every night for a month. Loud and shrill enough to wake you even when I had earplugs stuffed in my ears. Of course they bark right outside our bedroom window.

Since the moron next door is unwilling to do anything ("dogs bark" is what he said last time I asked him to do something. Of course they fucking bark, your bedroom is at the front of the house so you dont have to put up with it), I bought one of those ultrasonic siren things off Amazon. It has a microphone that detects barking and a timer so you can program it to detect between various times of the day.

When I got it I went outside to the fence, where they proceeded to go apeshit at me and I let the device go off. They lost interest in trying to take a piece real quick.

Repeat a few times and now they don't come to the fence at all. Made sure I let them see it so they recognise it.

Hung it up on the eaves and they know what it is, has cut barking at night by at least 50% I reckon.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
When you're ordering a pie and a coffee for takeaway at a cafe/bakers and the first thing the numpty behind the counter does is take the pie out of the warmer and leave it out to get cold whilst they faff around making the coffee.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
People who spout vacuous anti-GM, anti-vaccine, anti water flouridation, generally hippy crap. Especially via social media where everyone can be an expert. I have no objection to people having an opinion, however if you want to ban something like GM or vaccination, please back it up with arguments that consist of more than catchy slogans, dodgy websites and journal articles that have been retracted and discredited. These issues have implications for both public and individual health and warrant understanding before spreading your opinion.
Have you punched an anti-vaxxer today?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That 5km Color Run (held in Newcastle yesterday). Not only is the concept stupid, but they pay $50 to barely raise a sweat and then get to strut around saying "look at me" in the supermarket wearing their coloured clothes after they have "ran" it.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
This reminded me of something friend posted on fb, aha. http://urlybits.com/2010/04/every-facebook-political-argument-youve-ever-seen/

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My neighbour has two of these shitbag ankle biters (chihuahuas), and despite several requests, makes no attemp to shut the things up at night. At one stage they were going off at 10 am, 1am, 3am and then 5am every night for a month. Loud and shrill enough to wake you even when I had earplugs stuffed in my ears. Of course they bark right outside our bedroom window.

Since the moron next door is unwilling to do anything ("dogs bark" is what he said last time I asked him to do something. Of course they fucking bark, your bedroom is at the front of the house so you dont have to put up with it), I bought one of those ultrasonic siren things off Amazon. It has a microphone that detects barking and a timer so you can program it to detect between various times of the day.

When I got it I went outside to the fence, where they proceeded to go apeshit at me and I let the device go off. They lost interest in trying to take a piece real quick.

Repeat a few times and now they don't come to the fence at all. Made sure I let them see it so they recognise it.

Hung it up on the eaves and they know what it is, has cut barking at night by at least 50% I reckon.
Got a linky for that thing? Reckon I might have to investigate. The hairy pile of noise sits at next door's side door, which of course is right near my bedroom window. :rant:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Taking an hour to find my spanners/allen keys for the first time since I've moved to build a bike for my best mate's son...

.... and still not finding any grease or lube!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
40 people online on Facebook Chat and I don't want to speak to any of them.
If I was at a party with 40 people and I didn't want to speak to any of them, I would've already left. Remind me why this is different?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Have you punched an anti-vaxxer today?
Not even.

There is a girl I went to school with who is currently studying nutrition at uni somewhere. She has been posting up on facebook the usual culprits-vaccines, water flouridation, anti-GM etc. Each time she posts one of these up I ask very politely why she doesn't like it. So far she hasn't been able to successfully defend one of them. I've always explained stuff thoroughly, put up links to easy to understand references, basically tried to share knowledge rather than be a prick. The most recent one was a stab at the big, evil corporation monsanto (Major GM and biotech company for those not in the know). The issue was McDonalds apple slices don't go brown and that GM was trying to ruin everything. I explained the reason they didn't go brown was the calcium ascorbate (natural source of vitamin C) and the food colorings in the apples, as listed in the ingredients which were visible on the packaging in the picture. Vitamin C stops apples turning brown. and the colorings give that unholy fresh appearance. GM had nothing to do with that it. After that she unfriended me.

Previous ones have been anti vaccine. I tried explaining the number of deaths prevented by vaccines and the faults in the most famous of antivaccine studies. All that happened was her friends chimed in proudly proclaiming they hadn't been vaccinated and were more healthy than the average person.

The level of wilfull ignorance is worrying. Simply because these issues do have real implications for public and individual health. And the problem is that people give equal weight to the opinions of an expert scientist and a random hippy with no real understanding. People go to a mechanic to ask about their car, and they don't question what the mechanic tells them. They go to a plumber to ask about their houses pipes, and don't question what the plumber tells them. Conversely, if they ask a scientist about vaccination or GM or water floridation, the matter is open for argument. Which seems totally flawed to me.

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes

Would this work for a rooster it has similar crowing intervals

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Not even.

There is a girl I went to school with who is currently studying nutrition at uni somewhere. She has been posting up on facebook the usual culprits-vaccines, water flouridation, anti-GM etc. Each time she posts one of these up I ask very politely why she doesn't like it. So far she hasn't been able to successfully defend one of them. I've always explained stuff thoroughly, put up links to easy to understand references, basically tried to share knowledge rather than be a prick. The most recent one was a stab at the big, evil corporation monsanto (Major GM and biotech company for those not in the know). The issue was McDonalds apple slices don't go brown and that GM was trying to ruin everything. I explained the reason they didn't go brown was the calcium ascorbate (natural source of vitamin C) and the food colorings in the apples, as listed in the ingredients which were visible on the packaging in the picture. Vitamin C stops apples turning brown. and the colorings give that unholy fresh appearance. GM had nothing to do with that it. After that she unfriended me.

Previous ones have been anti vaccine. I tried explaining the number of deaths prevented by vaccines and the faults in the most famous of antivaccine studies. All that happened was her friends chimed in proudly proclaiming they hadn't been vaccinated and were more healthy than the average person.

The level of wilfull ignorance is worrying. Simply because these issues do have real implications for public and individual health. And the problem is that people give equal weight to the opinions of an expert scientist and a random hippy with no real understanding. People go to a mechanic to ask about their car, and they don't question what the mechanic tells them. They go to a plumber to ask about their houses pipes, and don't question what the plumber tells them. Conversely, if they ask a scientist about vaccination or GM or water floridation, the matter is open for argument. Which seems totally flawed to me.
I'm up for questioning everything, but when you get a factual, evidence-based answer to your question, the wise thing to do would be to not close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ear, and shout "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I CAN'T HEAR YOU I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" over and over again.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I'm up for questioning everything, but when you get a factual, evidence-based answer to your question, the wise thing to do would be to not close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ear, and shout "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I CAN'T HEAR YOU I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" over and over again.
Same. I'm all for people questioning what is presented too them and making an informed decision. There is definite need for scrutiny, especially if you only have access to information from the general media. But any decision you make needs to be that: informed.