Little Things You Hate

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Replaced a fuse in my car to try and get the radio/cd/tv player working - new fuse blows as well.

Can't understand, all electronics bar the clock, radio, tv and cd player work, the aircon display sits neatly between them and it lights up like christmas. Looks like a job for an auto electrician.
Start by tracing your wiring from the h/u to the fuse block and then from there to the battery. Then the same for the clock. There's a short somewhere in there. Use a multimeter if you know how. Shorts are a pain in the arse and often easiest to fix by just rewiring the whole lot.

This is assuming you had it all working in the first place, if not, could be a faulty h/u or if it's an upgrade from an old cd player it could have higher power draw so needs a bigger fuse (or ideally upgraded wiring)

If you're a practical thinking person the wiring in a car is relatively easy with a good diagram also or the ability to follow a physical wire in a cramped space

MasterOfReality

After forever
Getting a tooth pulled and having food accidently fall into the still raw socket.

Or forgetting when still on auto pilot in the morning and using Listerine.

The joys of getting ready for Invisalign.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Start by tracing your wiring from the h/u to the fuse block and then from there to the battery. Then the same for the clock. There's a short somewhere in there. Use a multimeter if you know how. Shorts are a pain in the arse and often easiest to fix by just rewiring the whole lot.

This is assuming you had it all working in the first place, if not, could be a faulty h/u or if it's an upgrade from an old cd player it could have higher power draw so needs a bigger fuse (or ideally upgraded wiring)

If you're a practical thinking person the wiring in a car is relatively easy with a good diagram also or the ability to follow a physical wire in a cramped space
Thanks for the reply man. I only just recently got the car (matter of days) and there was no radio or clock working when I got it. I've never had experience chasing wires through the car, so I think it might just be a good idea to leave it to someone else when it goes in for a checkup in a couple of days.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Fucking tailgaters! Dear god, how hard is to realise that being up my arse at 110 in the pouring rain is a terrible idea?

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Agreed, It is not rocket science. If it id doing that, 90% chance a wire has had something happen to it. Look for frays, chafes or loose wires.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's rats, I tells ya. Little bastards seem to think its licorice in my landy. :smash:
If it is all Lucas stuff you would be better off with licorice. At least when the electrics shit themselves you would have sonething to eat while stranded on the side of the road.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's rats, I tells ya. Little bastards seem to think its licorice in my landy. :smash:
If it's a Defender, you don't need electrics. Don't they run 1x9 Acera? Just pedal harder and you won't miss the heater. :smow:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

SprocketFury

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the reply man. I only just recently got the car (matter of days) and there was no radio or clock working when I got it. I've never had experience chasing wires through the car, so I think it might just be a good idea to leave it to someone else when it goes in for a checkup in a couple of days.
What make/model is the car, and are you sure the room fuse is in?

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What make/model is the car, and are you sure the room fuse is in?
1999 A32 Nissan Maxima 30G. It has a non-standard CD/TV player, but I'm pretty sure (in fact certain) it was an optioned extra at purchase.

When I took the cover off the fuse box, it has the layout of the fusebox printed on it, so I just counted spaces until I found the correct 10A fuse for the slot marked AUDIO. There's a couple of 7.5A fuses for 'ELECTRONICS', not sure which one controls what (I'm assuming it's one of these that works the clock?).

What is the room fuse?

SprocketFury

Likes Bikes
1999 A32 Nissan Maxima 30G. It has a non-standard CD/TV player, but I'm pretty sure (in fact certain) it was an optioned extra at purchase.

When I took the cover off the fuse box, it has the layout of the fusebox printed on it, so I just counted spaces until I found the correct 10A fuse for the slot marked AUDIO. There's a couple of 7.5A fuses for 'ELECTRONICS', not sure which one controls what (I'm assuming it's one of these that works the clock?).

What is the room fuse?
The room fuse is for the CD/Nav/etc, cabin lights and push-to-start if fitted, if it's not there those components won't work. Mazdas (and probably other makes) are delivered to the dealership in transit mode and we've got to chuck the fuse in during pre-delivery inspections - it could be exclusive to more modern vehicles though, not sure.

Give the other 7.5A fuses a try, you should be able to visually inspect for a break, replace if necessary. Otherwise check all the wires for the headunit for damage, all connected etc. Lastly look for a bare wire that could be shorting on any metal in the console or dash. That's what caused my boyfriend to go through 8 fuses in a week after installing a $70 headunit in his AU, until I told him to pull it out and double check his work - he'd forgotten to tape up & isolate one unneeded wire.

Most cars have a second fusebox under the dash, have you had a stickybeak in there?

Failing all that, join a Nissan forum. ;)