Little Things You Hate

Beej1

No offence intended, but is that a serious comment, or deliberately ignorant? If you drive along it, chances are you're taking that route as a form of transport, as opposed to exercise. By your logic, why ride a mountain bike when you could walk the trails?
None taken. It wasn't the most serious of statements I made, given this isn't the most serious thread. It certainly wasn't meant to offend roadies. As I said, I'm just not a fan of the concept of going out to ride 10's/100's of kilometers on paved roads shared with cars for fun/exercise. But I totally understand that for a lot of people this is the most awesome thing ever. For me I'd rather drive along roads, and ride along MTB trails*. That's all. Prob could have worded it better. My point was - I love watching the TDF, despite disliking a lot of things about the sport**.

(* I have zero problem with cyclists being on the roads I'm driving on - if that was what you may have thought. But I know a lot of idiots do have a problem with it.)

(** RE: Lycra - I hate the feel of it against my skin. It's just a personal thing. If I had zero body hair, it'd prob feel better. But I'm a hairy bastard, and will never, ever be arsed getting rid of it.)

mtb1611

Seymour
None taken. It wasn't the most serious of statements I made, given this isn't the most serious thread. It certainly wasn't meant to offend roadies. As I said, I'm just not a fan of the concept of going out to ride 10's/100's of kilometers on paved roads shared with cars for fun/exercise. But I totally understand that for a lot of people this is the most awesome thing ever. For me I'd rather drive along roads, and ride along MTB trails*. That's all. Prob could have worded it better. My point was - I love watching the TDF, despite disliking a lot of things about the sport**.

(* I have zero problem with cyclists being on the roads I'm driving on - if that was what you may have thought. But I know a lot of idiots do have a problem with it.)

(** RE: Lycra - I hate the feel of it against my skin. It's just a personal thing. If I had zero body hair, it'd prob feel better. But I'm a hairy bastard, and will never, ever be arsed getting rid of it.)
Fair enough! I'm not a fan of riding in city traffic (not that I have the need to anymore) but do probably 80% of my riding on the road simply because it's more accessible; if a wider variety of trails were within riding distance (as opposed to having to load the bike in the car) I'd certainly hit the dirt more often so in that sense I guess it's a time thing - add up the time used to load the car up, drive to trails and return (not including actual ride time) and there's a minimum 40km road ride.

As for the lycra, shave down and hit the knicks just once, as a sort of experiment ;-)

Matt H

Eats Squid
Grades release eve aka waiting for judgement day. Fourth year of my undergrad now and it still doesn't get any easier...

MasterOfReality

After forever
What is not a waste of money is a Vasectomy.
Haha, perhaps later. When I have done my duty.

Let me pass on the lessons I have learnt.

For kids gear like prams, bike and toy;s Ebay, gumtree, vinnies , salvos etc are your friend. Let someone else take the hit on buying new. All insanely expensive up front - then they get ditched after a year or two. That is when you pounce. After the baby arrives there will be numerous offers at play groups, mother groups etc to offload their stuff. Just get the bare minimum.

My advice, get the smallest pram you can get away with. Those big wheeled numbers look great, but when you have to lift them, take them in and out of car etc, heavy and take up loads of space. Something like a McLaren is great - they are small and they are light, and they last - they have limited space - but the less space you have - the less shit you carry. I guess a pram like that mightn't work for a new baby though.

I do have an old McLaren, that has done some Kms (even been bike touring in Spain) - still works fine, brake only works on one side, but thats ok. Happy to pass on for nix - you pay postage.
Thanks for the offer, although the missus went out and ordered some 3 wheeled thing that doubles as a stroller when the kid gets older. It does fold up pretty good and is light for her. Better bloody last too, I'm going to get her to pump out a few more to get my money's worth!

Before our daughter was born I just out in a call to the relo's to not give us heaps of pointless small gifts and chuck some money into a pot for a decent pram. We paid $1600 for a brand new bugaboo donkey, came with a bonus maxi cosi car capsule that detaches from the car and plugs straight into the pram base. No waking the baby getting her in and out of the car. Pram came with 2 carriers. A bassinet type cradle and a stroller style so will do until she is much bigger. It can carry 32 kilos of gear under it. The tyres a foam core so never get flats and the steering on the thing is incredible, turns on a dime. We take it on firetrails and to the beach and it goes through anything no worries. Weighs 12kg but fold flat, although it does take up more room than an umbrella type stroller.
Came with a rain cover, adjusts to suit any persons height, can be used forward or rear facing.... And comes in some sweet colours. No phone holder though but can carry a chai latte.

Best money I didn't earn but spent yet.... Well I did put in half ;). But if you work out buying a car seat etc and having a pram from newborn on it's pretty bloody good.
Yeah the relos will probably chuck in a few $$, we have already asked them not to buy cartons of useless stuff.

The most the missus will do with this is walk down the road to the Brisbane River, or up the shops. Not exactly strenuous terrain.

I got the whole offroad tyre thing too - apparently knobbly tyres will provide better grip.... not sure how that is the case for something that just rolls and tends not to corner too fast (a loud shrieking sound is emitted when I corner quickly, but I think it is just the wife;) )

I do recommend bigger wheels though, have mid sized wheels with a newborn and find even on footpaths and gravel paths the bumping is significant for the little one.
Met up with a mate the other day and he brought his new born kid, and he was smashing it over footpaths and bumps. Kid never woke up. I was surprised actually.

moorey

call me Mia
Gumtree. Seems to be the hang out space for shit bags.
Hell, Duh.....
I bought a bike off there...but before I did, I asked his address and compared the house in the background of the bike pics to the house on google maps. All matched, so i took the risk.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hell, Duh.....
I bought a bike off there...but before I did, I asked his address and compared the house in the background of the bike pics to the house on google maps. All matched, so i took the risk.
I'm the seller...I have a few excess snowboards (PM to deal!) and I'm not allowed to advertise here.....and this is as close to the wide world of the web as I like to get.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
BIG night of Brazilian BBQ last night....I ate about a years worth of meat, that was awesome. Got up this morning and figured I should hit up a high fibre breakfast (rolled oats, chia seeds, LSA mix) to prevent the meat staying longer than needed, that was awesome. Just sat down in a café for a coffee and some web time...little thing I hate = needing to shit as soon as I place an order and find a table.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm the seller...I have a few excess snowboards (PM to deal!) and I'm not allowed to advertise here.....and this is as close to the wide world of the web as I like to get.
You sound like just the sort of dodgy fuck i'd rather avoid on gumtree :tsk:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Just sat down in a café for a coffee and some web time...little thing I hate = needing to shit as soon as I place an order and find a table.
LTIH - how my youngest child *always* needs to go for a long, slow shit either just as the food is about to arrive or after it has just been placed on the table (at a restaurant).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You sound like just the sort of dodgy fuck i'd rather avoid on gumtree :tsk:

Naaaaaahhhhhhh braaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......iiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiitttttssssss for a mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyte. heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessassssssked me to soooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt it fa him. tooooooooooeeeeeeetally legit.