Little Things You Hate

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Hang on here ..... are you trying to tell me that public servants at home are doing longer hours unpaid and being just as productive during the standard working hours? Or are you suggesting that the bit of time before SBH and after dinner is to make up for distraction time during the day?
The former. It’s easier to do the extra time needed to keep on top of things - given the constant cut backs and loss of resources with no reduction in demand.
But like i said, it varies... Some peeps I think really should be back in the office! But then again some work better at home. It all seems to be averaging out though with a net improvement it seems - at least in our areas.

moorey

call me Mia
The former. It’s easier to do the extra time needed to keep on top of things - given the constant cut backs and loss of resources with no reduction in demand.
But like i said, it varies... Some peeps I think really should be back in the office! But then again some work better at home. It all seems to be averaging out though with a net improvement it seems - at least in our areas.
You don't have kids, you wouldn't understand.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Doing more hours to do the same or more work isnt an increase in productivity. Likely the opposite. I choose to do my 3 hours a month at night because I can spread out docs all through the house and make it a game. My productivity is better than trying to work around the need for a walk or ride during daylight hours.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Doing more hours to do the same or more work isnt an increase in productivity. Likely the opposite. I choose to do my 3 hours a month at night because I can spread out docs all through the house and make it a game. My productivity is better than trying to work around the need for a walk or ride during daylight hours.
there is a lot of that too. I work better at night, and especially the weeks I’ve been “working overseas” and coordinating with peeps in Europe.

moorey

call me Mia
That one I’ll give you ;) That must be a massive PITA having to deal with rugrats without all that sweet taxpayer funded babysitting...
Cuss no. They're back at school now, but loved having them home for remote learning. Missing the fuck outta them. I got more done when they were here...I was trying to set a good example.

slowmick

38-39"
I think you'd be surprised just how much work single and locked down government workers have got through this year. With the never ending work load and nowhere else to go I know a few who are working around the clock. Sure this is people who directly support others rather than counting the beans...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Cuss no. They're back at school now, but loved having them home for remote learning. Missing the fuck outta them. I got more done when they were here...I was trying to set a good example.
Ha. From what I’ve heard yours is not the universal experience ;)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I hear the same. Most people don't seem to like their kids. Sucks to be them.
That, and I'm in a very privileged position with my work, and kids who can work independently
It does seem odd... Lot of people seem to have them despite not wanting them.

moorey

call me Mia
It does seem odd... Lot of people seem to have them despite not wanting them.
Many friends lives were/are in upheaval with COVID19 and remote learning. I get that it wasn’t/isn’t easy with kids. I just fortunately don’t fall into that category, by luck, not good management.

moorey

call me Mia
I like my kids. What I don't like is having 4 vastly different neural wirings in the same house all competing for supremacy. Makes for a challenging household.
Yeah, I imagine. Soz dude.
I’m lucky, even though my 2 are polar opposites. Quinn loved the work and would be up at 7am to do the work set the previous evening. I rarely had to lift a finger for her. Felix had to be dragged out of bed at 8.50 to eat breakfast during a 8.55 meeting, and his only motivation was getting it done with as little grief from my wife as possible, so he could jump on the bike or lathe. He used to think if he played dumb, the wife would do the work for him....which she would.... I put a stop to that, and he learned that if he was looking attentive, she’s hover over him and make him do more than the bare minimum ;)