Little Things You Love

Jpez

Down on the left!
Really hard wood after surviving the bushfire. If changes then structure of the wood. Yes, a bit brittle and tough to work with those cracks. I reckon the extreme heat caused the wood to dry super quick.
He prefers natural finish to a glaze. Just likes to bring out the natural grain. The extreme heat almost seemed to vitrify the wood, in that it wouldn’t take up any of the linseed oil, it just ran off without soaking in.
Look up Osmo Hard wax/oil. Vegetable based furniture oil. Really highlights feature and grain in timber.

ausdb

Being who he is
Posted up in the Lathe thread the other day that we’d bought Felix a wood lathe for combined birthday/Christmas present, and a LTIL is that he’s spending every non school or riding moment on it.
Made this over last 2 days out of a burl from a gum tree burned out in the big fires here a couple of years ago. He loves gnarled and knotted wood, and making the most out of imperfections. Natural wood with a light wipe of boiled linseed oil.
View attachment 366100View attachment 366101View attachment 366102
That's really great work there, he has a nice eye for form which in the end is the main thing as whilst the figure in the wood is beautiful over time it tends to darken and dull unless you out some sort of synthetic coating on it which then makes it look plasticky and crap.

moorey

call me Mia
That's really great work there, he has a nice eye for form which in the end is the main thing as whilst the figure in the wood is beautiful over time it tends to darken and dull unless you out some sort of synthetic coating on it which then makes it look plasticky and crap.
Noted. Cheers man.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
It doesn't have to be synthetic, there are plenty of natural finishes that preserve the colour. I'm a fan of tung oil or for high gloss Feast and Watson's Spar Varnish.
Like putting the wood through a kiln?
That's how a lot of timber is dried, it's quicker and when the humidity is controlled it stops the outside from drying quicker than the inside which causes cracks.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Jokes aside, we have so much here, both living and dead, it’s ridiculous.
It's not an endangered species or anything like that but it's one of the species that when it's gone it's gone for a long time because of the issues propagating it. There was heaps of it through the Cobaws and Macedon ranges. From what I've seen it's dissappeared from the Cobaws now after the DSE set fire to them a few years ago. The last few from the Lancefield end I'm pretty sure wont be coming back.

ausdb

Being who he is
It doesn't have to be synthetic, there are plenty of natural finishes that preserve the colour. I'm a fan of tung oil or for high gloss Feast and Watson's Spar Varnish.
It was more a general comment that form should come first.
I turned this about twenty years ago, it's WA Jarrah burl (Eucalyptus marginata) for the pedants playing along.
DSC_4510-picsay.JPG

The finish was tung oil based, sorry too long ago I can't remember exactly what I was using then. When first turned it had similar colours to the river red gum. Since then it was used as a fruit bowl and now is on a shell with all the little things that can never find a proper home. I would say it has mellowed considerably over the years.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Loving the timber chat. @moorey would love a chunk of that cherry one day though I do not have a wood lathe. Will talk options one day.

I built my letterbox out of steel and mini orb and a commercial box frame then added a chunk of old scaffold plank (Douglas fir) from site as the top. Biscuit joined, planed edges and routed but kept all the burn marks and graffiti on the top finished with varnish. Years of neglect later it was too far gone to preserve so I shaved about 15mm off the top and refinished it. Now even more years later and even more neglected it is in a sad way. Fixed the rot and filled it and recut the routing on the top and bottom and sanded and reoiled it but it is just too cracked to go on for much longer. Decided to grab a hunk of kwila to again biscuit join and make a new top after the current 6,713,903.2 projects are done. Bunnies wants about $100 for a single 900 x 240 x 35 stair tread. Local mill had some old stock so I bought a piece 250x50x1800 (DAR) for almost half the stair tread! What a beautiful piece of wood.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
The cherry unfortunately cracks a lot when drying naturally, then after sitting inside for a few weeks, it cracks a little more. You think it’s all done, and make something out of it, then it cracks a bit more. I did read that you can cut it green and let it dry slowly wrapped in linseed soaked rags or something....

or just stick to small pieces and accept its going to crack a bit. It’s a shame, coz it’s a subtle but beautiful grain, and turns like butter.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Loving the timber chat. @moorey would love a chunk of that cherry one day though I do not have a wood lathe. Will talk options one day.

I built my letterbox out of steel and mini orb and a commercial box frame then added a chunk of old scaffold plank (Douglas fir) from site as the top. Biscuit joined, planed edges and routed but kept all the burn marks and graffiti on the top finished with varnish. Years of neglect later it was too far gone to preserve so I shaved about 15mm off the top and refinished it. Now even more years later and even more neglected it is in a sad way. Fixed the rot and filled it and recut the routing on the top and bottom and sanded and reoiled it but it is just too cracked to go on for much longer. Decided to grab a hunk of kwila to again biscuit join and make a new top after the current 6,713,903.2 projects are done. Bunnies wants about $100 for a single 900 x 240 x 35 stair tread. Local mill had some old stock so I bought a piece 250x50x1800 (DAR) for almost half the stair tread! What a beautiful piece of wood.
Without pics, get fucked.

ausdb

Being who he is
The cherry unfortunately cracks a lot when drying naturally, then after sitting inside for a few weeks, it cracks a little more. You think it’s all done, and make something out of it, then it cracks a bit more. I did read that you can cut it green and let it dry slowly wrapped in linseed soaked rags or something....
Not sure if you can still get it but I used to use something called Mobilcer, it was a wax based product that you painted on to slow down the drying process.

moorey

call me Mia
Felix is letting me have a play on the lathe
, so I’m preparing a nice little piece cut from a stump of Blackwood I’d made a pot plant stand for the wife...she won’t miss it. I hope.
Attaching a tenon I’ll use in the chuck then turn it off later.

moorey

call me Mia
Not sure if you can still get it but I used to use something called Mobilcer, it was a wax based product that you painted on to slow down the drying process.
Cool. If I find a fallen chunk of green wood, I’ll give it a crack.