Little Things You Love

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The electronic billboard placed on the approach to roadworks that displays your speed and then displays "SLOW DOWN" or "WELL DONE". Today I got "WELL DONE" thrice. What would be even more satisfying would be if I was on the bike (running the phat tyres) and the sign said "SLOW DOWN". Would be freaky (but in a good way) if the sign displayed "HELLO HAMSTA"

taquar

Likes Dirt
The electronic billboard placed on the approach to roadworks that displays your speed and then displays "SLOW DOWN" or "WELL DONE". Today I got "WELL DONE" thrice. What would be even more satisfying would be if I was on the bike (running the phat tyres) and the sign said "SLOW DOWN". Would be freaky (but in a good way) if the sign displayed "HELLO HAMSTA"
Love those things, I wonder if it says anything when you're going too slowly...

Likes Dirt
There's one in Canberra that just flashes blue and red lights at you if you're going too fast... Scared the crap out of me :p

Arete

Likes Dirt
Had to change my license over to a yank one as my Australian one had expired. This meant I had to do a driving test. Rock up at the DMV and the test vehicle is a Chev Impala. Only in Detroit would the driving test be done in a 5m long car.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Had to change my license over to a yank one as my Australian one had expired. This meant I had to do a driving test. Rock up at the DMV and the test vehicle is a Chev Impala. Only in Detroit would the driving test be done in a 5m long car.
I'm getting visions of you sitting it in this...

How cool (and easy) would that test be!

Arete

Likes Dirt
How cool (and easy) would that test be!
"And double park here to pick up a 5th of Jack, which must be consumed over the duration of the test."
Side note - we recently drove to Norman, Oklahoma (ironically) for the evolution society meetings. We actually saw a guy driving a lifted to Jeebus F350 with duallies on the back, a giant NASCAR sticker on the rear windshield and a dukes of hazzard confederate flag on the roof driving down the interstate whilst drinking a 5th of whiskey in Arkansas. Gloriously redneck.

Also in LTIL after the "oh shit" of missing out on NSF funding in Michigan, the mrs and I are both starting postdocs at Yale in the Fall. Leather elbow patches, wooly scarves and rowboats ahoy.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Also in LTIL after the "oh shit" of missing out on NSF funding in Michigan, the mrs and I are both starting postdocs at Yale in the Fall. Leather elbow patches, wooly scarves and rowboats ahoy.
Planning on having a "pull in the park" on campus? ;)

indica

Serial flasher
Applying for a transfer and .... getting it.
Needing some money.... it turns up.

My life is fucken tops.

0psi

Eats Squid
Alone time, being able to cook myself some food I want to eat and watch what ever I want on tv.
Farkin hey! This also goes along the lines of "you know you're getting old when. ." My missus has been spending a few weekends away doing brides maid type things for a wedding next month and most of my single mates have been expecting me to be out running amok, not a chance when I can be home alone!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Farkin hey! This also goes along the lines of "you know you're getting old when. ." My missus has been spending a few weekends away doing brides maid type things for a wedding next month and most of my single mates have been expecting me to be out running amok, not a chance when I can be home alone!
Here's to having the biggest dilemma in your evening being "Do i kick back in my jocks and watch a 'good' (none of your 'romcom' shite) movie with a shitload of beer and chips, or play video-games in my jocks with beer and chips but have to the endure the frustration of not being able to drink said beer and eat said chips at exactly the same time as playing kick-ass game?"

This is made even more fantastic if you don't have work to get up for the next morning!