Little Things You Love

RUDENESS

Likes Dirt
Getting my 8 year old boy and 2.5 year old boy designing and building their bmx / pump track together, throwing dirt around and hosing each other. The 8 year already rides DH and loves riding and surfing aswell as the little one also.

ChopSticks

Banned
LTIL: google finally fixing thier exchange rate feature (disappeared for a few months)

not sure if people know this but.....

when you type into google, it is NOT case sensitive.
you can also type ' time in new york' and it will tell you the time,
"Temp in Sydney" will give you the current temp over 24hrs + forcast

but the best feature i reckon is the exchange rate

Plug in what you want converted and it will use the latest rates (super handy when buying bike bits/price matching)
ie "100USD in AUD" will give you a AUD value

moorey

call me Mia
LTIL: google finally fixing thier exchange rate feature

not sure if people know this but.....

when you type into google, it is NOT case sensitive.
you can also type ' time in new york' and it will tell you the time,
"Temp in Sydney" will give you the current temp + forcast

but the best feature i reckon is the exchange rate

Plug in what you want converted and it will use the latest rates
ie "100USD in AUD" will give you a AUD value
You can search info on google now? :faint:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Speaking of camouflaged for the purple carriages, this guy looks all set for strain safari! Unfortunately for him (and everyone else) the trains have been cancelled and turned into buses...

WP_20141125_002.jpg

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I bit the bullet the had Foxtel installed yesterday. I pay a few bucks a week getting shows from Itunes and some of the sport I enjoy is moving to Foxtel next year so yeah, it's only money eh? The guy doing the installation was a fun bloke but geez he had a rough day. He has to run a cable inside my wall, along the roof trusses and out to the tip of the gutter to connect it all to the dish. It was a 34 degree day here at 2pm yesterday and he had the knack to use his phone to measure the temperatures in the roof and on the roof: 59 degrees in the roof and 48 sitting on a bit of carpet on the tiles on the roof! He was very gracious about it all, I helped where I could by helping him run the cable and passing tools and gear to him but fuck me, that was worth the six pack I offered him!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Awesome, you'll really enjoy the advertising you have paid for ;)
I had it on for a few hours last night and only saw two commercial breaks. The ad's were actually interesting to me as most of the stuff was about content on Foxtel; upcoming shows etc. As a new user, I actually found it worthwhile. The fictional shows that we watch are recorded while we aren't at home so we'll have the luxury of fast forwarding all that stuff.

For the record, I've been down the download path and had torrents etc and found it to be nothing short of a colossal nightmare that is totally not worth the effort. I'm more than happy to pay for a quality experience that doesn't involve me hunching over a laptop with a crap resolution, banner ads everywhere and an English spoken show remastered with Spanish people talking and no subtitles.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
I had it on for a few hours last night and only saw two commercial breaks. The ad's were actually interesting to me as most of the stuff was about content on Foxtel; upcoming shows etc. As a new user, I actually found it worthwhile. The fictional shows that we watch are recorded while we aren't at home so we'll have the luxury of fast forwarding all that stuff.

For the record, I've been down the download path and had torrents etc and found it to be nothing short of a colossal nightmare that is totally not worth the effort. I'm more than happy to pay for a quality experience that doesn't involve me hunching over a laptop with a crap resolution, banner ads everywhere and an English spoken show remastered with Spanish people talking and no subtitles.
They may be good now as a new user.. but in 6 months time, you will grow to hate seeing the same ads for the same content coming on repeatedly.. You will also hate the never ending repeats (even within the same day you can have the same episode of the same show aired multiple times on the same channel...) and the fact that they rarely seem to show any seasons in sequence, meaning when you "series link" your favourite shows and sit down for a bit of TV watching after the kids go to bed you are suddenly faced with 3 episodes of season 1, 2 of season 4, 1 of season 3, 8 of season 6 and then 3 more of season 1 (in that order).

That being said though..... It works. It is easy. It is convenient. It has a great range of kids shows and a good selection of music channels (the main things it gets used for in my house).

I've bought a Chromecast and pay ~$15/mo for a US netflix subscription and a proxy service to be able to use it.. Still playing around with it, but if I can get that working reliably and teach the wife and kids how to use it, then I think I will be buying a second chromecast and setting up a tablet in the lounge purely for media control (and spending some time tidying up all of my downloaded media to make it easy enough for them to find what they want instead of having to call me to come and dig through my various folders to find all of the shit I've downloaded).. Will then ditch foxtel in favour of this.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
They may be good now as a new user.. but in 6 months time, you will grow to hate seeing the same ads for the same content coming on repeatedly.. You will also hate the never ending repeats (even within the same day you can have the same episode of the same show aired multiple times on the same channel...) and the fact that they rarely seem to show any seasons in sequence, meaning when you "series link" your favourite shows and sit down for a bit of TV watching after the kids go to bed you are suddenly faced with 3 episodes of season 1, 2 of season 4, 1 of season 3, 8 of season 6 and then 3 more of season 1 (in that order).
Yeah, I'm expecting a bit of that. I am pretty specific with what I watch and I don't tend to sit back and watch whatever's on the TV so it won't be too bad. I'm really sick of the localized ad's on free to air here. It's three things: A local tyre store, a shed builder and the bloody ad for the place that I work that I actually drafted!!!!!!!!! The mute button on my remote has no print left on it, that's telling me something.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

That being said though..... It works. It is easy. It is convenient. It has a great range of kids shows and a good selection of music channels (the main things it gets used for in my house).

I've bought a Chromecast and pay ~$15/mo for a US netflix subscription and a proxy service to be able to use it.. Still playing around with it, but if I can get that working reliably and teach the wife and kids how to use it, then I think I will be buying a second chromecast and setting up a tablet in the lounge purely for media control (and spending some time tidying up all of my downloaded media to make it easy enough for them to find what they want instead of having to call me to come and dig through my various folders to find all of the shit I've downloaded).. Will then ditch foxtel in favour of this.
Apparently Netflix will be/is available for Australia.

I used the ps3 for download stuff as our brain remote could control the ps3 with a hdmi connection. Now I use a catchup TV box for the media files as it will play mp4 and mkv files, saves me searching for a visit, cinivia free torrents.
Organising all the files into neat folders for the family was a pita, but now it's done, I just direct the DL to the relevant folder.

The 7yo has no dramas, the 3yo is getting the hang of it, I still need to turn the TV on for the missus.....

My parents run Foxtel and after seeing the same episode of Dora 4 times in a 8 hour visit, I don't think I'll ever get it.

mitchy_

Llama calmer

I used the ps3 for download stuff as our brain remote could control the ps3 with a hdmi connection. Now I use a catchup TV box for the media files as it will play mp4 and mkv files, saves me searching for a visit, cinivia free torrents.
Organising all the files into neat folders for the family was a pita, but now it's done, I just direct the DL to the relevant folder.

The 7yo has no dramas, the 3yo is getting the hang of it, I still need to turn the TV on for the missus.....

My parents run Foxtel and after seeing the same episode of Dora 4 times in a 8 hour visit, I don't think I'll ever get it.
aus netflix will be rubbish though. foxtel own the rights to most of the shows in australia.. even the netflix exclusives.
much better off keeping the US subscription. that's what i have and dont plan on changing it... be interesting to see the aus pricing as well, as i pay ~$12/month for a us subscription and proxy.

i have a HP Proliant server that i use for work back ups and downloads. with bit torrent and RSS streams it downloads everything my fiancée could possibly want to watch automatically, and then streams it to one of many WDTV's through out the house via Serviio.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt

Yeah, the trouble is that Foxtel has most of the good content under contract already here in Aus so the Aus version of Netflix is likely to be crap in comparison to the US service..

ATM I have:
- Chromecast in the bedroom, netflix installed on my android phones & tablets. Still trying to get this to work reliably (suspect my shitty old router that I'm using in there is to blame for the issues here);
- WDTV Live & 2x 2tb external HDDs, also in the bedroom. Last few days though this seems to be dieing - need to sus out what is going on as it has become VERY slow to do anything;
- Laptop, also in bedroom, connected to TV via HDMI (running linux mint with XBMC) .. This is what I do all of my torrent downloading to, and did have it copying everything from my finished downloads folder across to one of the WDTV HDDs at midnight each night, but that seems to have stopped lately for some reason;
- Foxtel in the living room.

What I plan to do is consolidate all of my media onto one of the current 2TB HDDs (have about 1.5TB at the moment) and tidy it all up / delete all of the shit that doesn't get watched, get the netflix/chromecast situation working reliably, then move all of it out to the living room with a 2nd chromecast and WDTV in the bedroom to stream media in there as required. Show the kids how to use it all, then spend the next 3 months trying to teach the wife the same.

Beej1

For the record, I've been down the download path and had torrents etc and found it to be nothing short of a colossal nightmare that is totally not worth the effort.
It's funny - that's how I think of pay TV while I'm watching downloaded content streaming to my TV from my NAS drive. 5 minutes of starting downloads once a week and I've got hours of ad-free TV.

Hours.

In front of the television.

Sedentary.

Sad face.