Little Things You Love

scblack

Leucocholic
Nah, she'd want an auto - nothing is sadder than an auto 86...
I'm tending toward disagreeing with you there. My wife needs an auto, so for 15+ years now my car is an auto. (My current car is a VW Amarok truck, so hardly a problem for me, and autos are better for towing).

Modern auto-boxes are now responsive enough to be only very marginally slower in some circumstances than a manual. And quicker changing gear with a flappy-paddle setup. For example the ultimate track day road car - Porsche 911 GT3 - is only available with a flappy paddle gearbox - no manual option.

I do agree nothing beats the freedom and control changing gears yourself. But DSG style gearboxes are becoming quicker overall.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Nah, she'd want an auto - nothing is sadder than an auto 86...
I spoke to a mate that's still in the field about the the new dual clutch transmission and said the problems of leaking servos and stalling on takeoff are all too common complaints across many manufactures these days.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I spoke to a mate that's still in the field about the the new dual clutch transmission and said the problems of leaking servos and stalling on takeoff are all too common complaints across many manufactures these days.
The auto in the 86 is an "old school" torque converter type, so perfectly nice to use.

I know, an auto 86 is probably a bit like an e-bike - if its all you can use, its better than not being able to use one at all! And apparently its surprisingly decent in the 86 - but it is the sort of car that is very much intended to be a manual.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
At least there are better options on the horizon:

"By 2030, Aston Martin expects that EVs will account for 25 percent of its sales, with the rest of the lineup expected to be hybrids."

"Volvo plans to build only electric and hybrid vehicles starting in 2019"

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The auto in the 86 is an "old school" torque converter type, so perfectly nice to use.

I know, an auto 86 is probably a bit like an e-bike - if its all you can use, its better than not being able to use one at all! And apparently its surprisingly decent in the 86 - but it is the sort of car that is very much intended to be a manual.
And an Alfa is very much intended to give you the utter shits.

Your argument against the 86 is extremely weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Two approaches to making a Prius fun;
The engine looks terrific. I can understand the sleeper idea though but just imagine it in a body that looks nice opposed to resembling a door wedge.

Put that in your Alfa once the chassis has been nicely welded and then done once more for good measure.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Haakon

And an Alfa is very much intended to give you the utter shits.

Your argument against the 86 is extremely weak.

Hey, I was sorta defending the auto 86!! If she liked them I'd be super happy to have one in the drive. With a supercharger kit probably...

scblack

Leucocholic
Hey, I was sorta defending the auto 86!! If she liked them I'd be super happy to have one in the drive. With a supercharger kit probably...
With the skinny tyres an 86 has, you'd want to be wearing adult diapers if you fitted a supercharger.....

Haakon

So she has driven one & said no?

No, took one look at them and went "hell no"... Sigh... Something boring about back seats blah blah.

I intend to get one one day though as a toy. Have driven a few and like them - I enjoy the whole lowish power pure chassis balance driving thing.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I like them but they are kind of tight for room. Only small animals and amputees could ride in the back seat.

Just close your eyes and get a WRX with a similar engine and not have to sink big $$$ into converting the 86 to something that it wasn't intended to be. I hate sensible talk too.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
WRX is a shit driving experience compared with an 86.

That is, if you value handling dynamics over all else. Which I do.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That may be so but replumbing an 86 with forced induction could be a costly exercise too from what I've heard.

Probably more fun to cut a hole in the bonnet and put an old school V8 with a nice blower in there and be done with it.

All depends on how much you are willing to spend in the black hole of modifications.

Just buy the 65 pillarless Impala and all of the world's problems are solved. I wouldn't care if it handled like an aircraft carrier :)