Little Things You Love

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Audio books. I had started a re-read of GoT but really couldn't be bothered to read them all as I'm pretty strapped for time at the moment. So now I can listen to it when I drive or put the headphones on and listen while the Mrs is trying to talk to me.

mtb1611

Seymour
Getting back on the bike after 6 weeks; admittedly it was the road bike but the dirt shall be hit tomorrow! LTIH: lower back pain...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Audio books. I had started a re-read of GoT but really couldn't be bothered to read them all as I'm pretty strapped for time at the moment. So now I can listen to it when I drive or put the headphones on and listen while the Mrs is trying to talk to me.
Don't keep your expectations too high....even if James Earl Jones was reading them the books get pretty ordinary very quickly. I suspect the show follows suit....

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't keep your expectations too high....even if James Earl Jones was reading them the books get pretty ordinary very quickly. I suspect the show follows suit....
This is read by some geezer by the name of Roy Dotrice. Apparently he's received quite a few commendations for ASoIaF, voicing more than 500 distinct characters.

I've read the books but feel that I haven't quite picked up a few vital points of the plot and other twists. This is probably because the majority of the time spent reading each book I've been sucking down beers whilst camping.

The show is pretty ordinary as far as I'm concerned. There's a few vital character's that haven't been introduced as well as a reluctancy to follow the written version too closely.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is read by some geezer by the name of Roy Dotrice. Apparently he's received quite a few commendations for ASoIaF, voicing more than 500 distinct characters.

I've read the books but feel that I haven't quite picked up a few vital points of the plot and other twists. This is probably because the majority of the time spent reading each book I've been sucking down beers whilst camping.

The show is pretty ordinary as far as I'm concerned. There's a few vital character's that haven't been introduced as well as a reluctancy to follow the written version too closely.
The books did have a few fairly subtle aspects.

Don't be starting me on not following the books....you'll have to sit through all my pent up Hobbit rage all over again. The Lord of the Rings films were shit enough, but somehow the Hobbit is making them look good! I would rather have watched Phantom Menace.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The books did have a few fairly subtle aspects.

Don't be starting me on not following the books....you'll have to sit through all my pent up Hobbit rage all over again. The Lord of the Rings films were shit enough, but somehow the Hobbit is making them look good! I would rather have watched Phantom Menace.
I often wonder why the on screen plot differs from a book? If the cunt was good enough to be made into a movie then why change it?

Ohhh that's right, movies are made for snotty nosed kids to watch during school holidays and women to drag their unwilling husbands, boyfriends or bbfs along to. So in lieu of blood shed or an intriguing plot consistent to the novel we get corny one liners, Steven Segal type karate chop bullshit where the bad guys fall overand die type violence and terrible, soppy love stories.

Darn the masses!

wombat

Lives in a hole
I often wonder why the on screen plot differs from a book? If the cunt was good enough to be made into a movie then why change it?
Seriously? Perhaps because they're totally different mediums, and a 36 hour movie where half of the screentime was a voiceover of the protagonist's inner dialogue would, you know, suck?

Adapting a book to the screen has to be a fucking tough job. Most good books are so long that you're going to have to cut stuff, but how do you do that? Rework the story so it makes sense, and piss off lovers of the book, or don't rework it and end up with a shitful, disjointed plot that only makes sense to those who already know the story?
Not to say I don't think some adaptations are absolute shite, but I can understand how hard a thing it must be to get right.

As for GoT, I found the first couple if books a little tedious, and although the show isn't the best show ever, the production is fantastic and its damn entertaining. I've stopped reading the books because I'll enjoy the show more without them, and it's easy enough for me to find something I'd rather read.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, all very valid points Wombat. I agree with most of that. But my biggest gripe with GoT on screen is that they've neglected to include some things but added other things. Like the exclusion of particular characters that would in essence make it even MORE entertaining if they had of kept them. Belwas and Coldhands, where are they? Yet they've added a crow called Lok? And other trivial shit like Dario as a piss ant Anglo pretty boy? A Eunuch (Greyworm) soldier that would literally fall on his sword if commanded to showing interest in a servent?

But to bring the thread back on track.

This mornings enduro (moto) ride.

Afternoon of beer, wood fire bbq and more beer.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yet another reason why I don't read books on the "popular" lists or watch TV.
Read the booms long before the show existed...the first was on a throw out table in major bookstore before it was even a year old. I lost interest when George figured he wasn't selling enough books to keep writing...

As for transforming books into film...the hobbit and lord of the rings are excellent examples of the oppposite of your suggestion wombat. All made unnecessarily longer and padded out with garbage. Second hobbit being the greatest example. The book is short and well paced to make a 2ish hour film. Do we really need 25min of proof orcs can't shoot arrows? Peter jackson should have stopped.making films after meet the feebles. That was a good film.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My wife.

About to give birth any day now, she heard how crap a day I had and bought a big feed of Texas BBQ and cold beer for me and had it waiting for me when I got home.

I have the best Mrs ever.

By the way the potato salad at Taste of Texas is bloody good and doesn't cost $36K.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My wife.

About to give birth any day now, she heard how crap a day I had and bought a big feed of Texas BBQ and cold beer for me and had it waiting for me when I got home.

I have the best Mrs ever.

By the way the potato salad at Taste of Texas is bloody good and doesn't cost $36K.
All the best with the arrival of the little one mate! That 9 months flew by!

indica

Serial flasher
Shit load of noisy white cockatoos in the yard and the 'hood. Watering the garden thing what a racket.
Two Apache helicopters then fly over my house and proceed to roam the neighbourhood, scaring away the cockatoos, and any Taliban in the area.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Shit load of noisy white cockatoos in the yard and the 'hood. Watering the garden thing what a racket.
Two Apache helicopters then fly over my house and proceed to roam the neighbourhood, scaring away the cockatoos, and any Taliban in the area.
Apaches? Where do you live? If there's white cockies in your garden, they weren't Apaches. Either that, or they aren't cockies!! You sure you don't mean Blackhawks? Or Eurocopter Tigers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: