LORDGUN?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Well, I'm getting ready to look into a spare X01 Eagle cassette to have on hand, so I'll price it up to see if it's decent value and if it is, I'll Guinea Pig it using PayPal

Mattyp

Cows go boing
there are deals to be had locally too....I recently bought a x01 derailleur from bikebug via ebay not their online store. Their rrp was 349 with free shipping, i also had 20% off ebay code, so it made it a bit more reasonable.
Pushys generally have 15% off store wide towards the end of every month, so it pays to wait till then to buy stuff

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Cheers for testing the water !

A big risk for so little saving though.

I would buy local if its only 10-15% more expensive, but sadly its usually 40-50%+ and limited stock.
I needed a new derailer, $190 from local bike shop (which they had to order) $120 delivered from Pushys. I'm on a budget so I had to take the online option. If it was only $20 more I would have happily bought it local.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
^^^ I go through this all the time,

Did you try Bike Bug? Not sure where you are, but if you live close to one of their stores you can pick up & avoid shipping costs.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
The prices on Lordgun for some of the higer end gear isn't that much better than local it seems. Not enough to justify the shipping and ForEx costs.

teK--

Eats Squid
Pushys 15% off is usually bullshit these days... the price usually goes up by some portion just as the sale hits. And then reverts... if only there was a law against that
Did you see the recent ,7.5% off storewide on mtbd? Would have to say that Haley's comet arrives more regularly than such a sale .

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Pushys 15% off is usually bullshit these days... the price usually goes up by some portion just as the sale hits. And then reverts... if only there was a law against that
not only that, their sales are mainly clothing these days. I miss the old days Pushys selling maxxis tyre for $20 - my fave xc tyre tomahawk and 26" boxxer for some stupid $600 or $700.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I'm waiting on a pushys or mtbd sale to buy one of those shotgun kids seat but I reckon it'll be one of those items that don't really get cheaper.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm waiting on a pushys or mtbd sale to buy one of those shotgun kids seat but I reckon it'll be one of those items that don't really get cheaper.
Nothing gets cheaper with them. Price gets jacked up to RRP, then they take the sale discount off RRP which brings it down to the everyday price on the website.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
That's the big problem with online discounters, which just about every online bike shop in Aus is nowadays. They have to keep prices low to compete with OS sites (or, had to in the past before the Geoblocks), but that leaves them with very low margins to sell.

Low margins are fine when you're selling volume, but means that you can't really discount any further without not being able to pay your suppliers, staff and other costs. Hence the "raise price to discount" structure that happens on sitewide sales. Raise all prices by 10% at a minimum, then the 15% discount won't be losing money. But if you're already low on the GP stakes, a further 15% means there's no point if you actually want to stay in the black.

Being in the enthusiast Outdoor space, I see it all too often. New businesses who literally start life as a discounter, suddenly realising they have to close shop as they're not making enough money to keep things running;

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's the big problem with online discounters, which just about every online bike shop in Aus is nowadays. They have to keep prices low to compete with OS sites (or, had to in the past before the Geoblocks), but that leaves them with very low margins to sell.

Low margins are fine when you're selling volume, but means that you can't really discount any further without not being able to pay your suppliers, staff and other costs. Hence the "raise price to discount" structure that happens on sitewide sales. Raise all prices by 10% at a minimum, then the 15% discount won't be losing money. But if you're already low on the GP stakes, a further 15% means there's no point if you actually want to stay in the black.

Being in the enthusiast Outdoor space, I see it all too often. New businesses who literally start life as a discounter, suddenly realising they have to close shop as they're not making enough money to keep things running;
It's not just that, look at how many online stores are popping up, the fewer sales you have the less buying power you have, it just becomes who can continue to operate the longest with retaining the most customers.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Yeah but are the margins really that tight? Or is the problem that greed runs rampant these days and part of the decision making around pricing and "site-wide discounting" is a little less about covering costs-plus-a-fair-profit, and a little more about "...how far can we push the boat out before we touch the punters' pain thresh-hold?..." (yes, I'm a cynical prick).

Further to my point, the real discounts (i.e. - upwards of 40% off rrp) are almost always the old/discontinued/shit colour/weird/extra-small stuff that most of us have no interest in. And yet they persist with big flashy email campaigns that deliver four-fifths-of-fuck-all to the real enthusiasts (tragics) like us. Just give me red hot prices on the useful stuff I need to buy - you'll get my hard-earned every time!

Genuine question; Are you saying, for example, that MtnBikesDirect are prolly only making, sayy, $10 on a Maxxis Minion sold to me at about $50? For sure, this would make discounting tough.

I struggle to believe there is no margin for discounting on a $500 mass-produced cassette or a $1000 wheel set...?

(But I also have no trouble believing that I'm just grumpy and out of touch with modern retailing realities).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It's not just that, look at how many online stores are popping up
The mass of 99Bikes shops are not helping either, we have at least 6 in Adelaide and about that many small bike shops have closed since they arrived. I know most of the other capital cities have a load too.

Gerry Harvey gets 10% added to our price so we buy local, Shimano, Sram and others Geoblock, then Flight Centres '99bikes' superstores sends them under.

The bike industry really is in a shit state for all bricks and mortar shops.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Further to my point, the real discounts (i.e. - upwards of 40% off rrp) are almost always the old/discontinued/shit colour/weird/extra-small stuff that most of us have no interest in. And yet they persist with big flashy email campaigns that deliver four-fifths-of-fuck-all to the real enthusiasts (tragics) like us. Just give me red hot prices on the useful stuff I need to buy - you'll get my hard-earned every time![\quote]
this is probably them just trying clear the crap at below cost.
Genuine question; Are you saying, for example, that MtnBikesDirect are prolly only making, sayy, $10 on a Maxxis Minion sold to me at about $50? For sure, this would make discounting tough.
[/QUOTE]
TBH I don't know the general margin structure in the bike world, although I've heard it is pretty low even when at full RRP. So add a bit of discount into that and you'll be running thin. MTBD might get volume discounts from the wholesaler, but even then I'd say it's still pretty thin.

All conjecture and hearsay though, but they do make it hard for other smaller stores, especially as the smaller stores won't be getting any discount as the volumes would be low.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Further to my point, the real discounts (i.e. - upwards of 40% off rrp) are almost always the old/discontinued/shit colour/weird/extra-small stuff that most of us have no interest in. And yet they persist with big flashy email campaigns that deliver four-fifths-of-fuck-all to the real enthusiasts (tragics) like us. Just give me red hot prices on the useful stuff I need to buy - you'll get my hard-earned every time!
This is prolly why i'm still running 10 speed, non-boost fork, and imperial shock. I'm not an excellent rider, just your normal punter, thus i don't think i miss out much on the new technology. However, I admit I often have a smidgen of jealousy when i see flashy bike kitted with latest and "greatest" parts. Then i told myself, I'm not that good, don't deserve it, plus i'm not that rich. Move on..