Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been having troubles with Safari lately. For example -

Things in my hotmail won't load. When i click on an email to read it, it won't respond. I can't click junk either. Same goes with writing a new email (though on the odd occasion it works, but then i can't click send cause that doesn't work!). Now myspace is starting to bugger up and when i click 'post bulletin' it doesn't load and sends me to the top of the page for some reason. Its frustrating as some emails i need to read and on the odd occasion i need to send important emails.

Any ideas? Im more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic when it comes to computers.
Try switching to GMAIL. Shits on Hotmail in every way X10
Just change to Firefox it may help you, it may not, but he extra features it has are defiantly worth the download. Just a suggestion.
Does firefox work on macs? ....:confused:
It does.....But the PPC version sucks, and I have no experience with the intel version. Honestly Safari is better than firefox IMO.....

Done a software update recently? Then 'reset' safari: Top right window > Safari > Reset safari > Check all options
Just so you know this will kill all your cookies, so I hope you haven t forgotten all the passwords for your website logins :rolleyes:

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have Mac OS X 10.3. Firefox requires 10.4 or later. This is pathetic, do i have to be on a super cool computer to get any decent applications or what?

I don't think getting Firefox will help. Same issues occur when i use internet explorer, except worse because thats been buggered for even longer.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done a software update recently? Then 'reset' safari: Top right window > Safari > Reset safari > Check all options
Uhh, top right window of what? The top right of safari has a search thing and the top right of the actual computer has a clock.

EDIT: I found it, it was actually the top left. Never the less, it didn't work... Thanks anyway.

Wait hang on what do you mean by 'Check all options'?

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
hi all,
i want to download some audio from a website archive of music tracks. each track plays through Quicktime in my Browser (Firefox 3.0.7). i have a Firefox Add-on called 'fast Video Download', that usually handles any You-Tube style website fine but this flash/Quicktime Plug-in audio player has me stumped. help would be greatly appreciated....

heres the archive in question: http://reggaehitthetown.com/PamaF.htm

-nick

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi all,
i want to download some audio from a website archive of music tracks. each track plays through Quicktime in my Browser (Firefox 3.0.7). i have a Firefox Add-on called 'fast Video Download', that usually handles any You-Tube style website fine but this flash/Quicktime Plug-in audio player has me stumped. help would be greatly appreciated....

heres the archive in question: http://reggaehitthetown.com/PamaF.htm

-nick
Are you trying to download or stream?

If its streaming, it works fine in safari 4.0 (beta)

Oh yeah, sorry Ziggy I should have been more clear/less blonde
I meant the top left corner: click on software update

Then after that try resetting safari and check all of the options on the menu:

Attachments

Mitch_freeride

Likes Dirt
Steps to finding HDD capacity

1) Apple Symbol (top left corner)
2) About this Mac.
3) More info...
4) Pick your hard-drive from the menu on the left (Serial-ATA, SAS or USB, firewire for external USB)
5) scroll down until you find available disc space.

skivi

Likes Dirt
don't worry i figured it out myself.

heres my instructions (firefox):
1) your on the page with the embedded Quicktime player currently streaming
2) click on Tools > Page info > Media > click the MP3 listing > Save As

easy.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question -

Im in the process of going through my music folder and deleting unwanted music as im running out of space on the computer. If i delete a track in the music folder i can still listen to it on itunes. For instance, ill find some songs in the music folder i don't listen to anymore and drag them into the trash. I empty the trash, search the song on itunes, and it still plays all the songs. Im gaining more space on the computer but.

What the hells going on?
Does this mean i can delete everything in my music folder and gain gigs worth of space and still listen to every song on itunes?

HALP!

EDIT: Ok....so to make sure im not going crazy i decided to something else. For example i had some motorhead songs i didnt want, so i deleted them in the music folder and they'd still play on itunes. I then searched motorhead on the comp and was met with 2 album folders full of the songs i had previously deleted. I deleted these folders and attempted to play the songs on itunes but they didn't work.

So does this mean that the computer has made more than one copy of each song?

God i hate computers.

Last edited:

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably you just happen to have 2 copies of it when transferring music or changing music folders. That depends on where you get your music from.

Doesn't iTunes give you the choice when deleting to keep or discard the file?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I imagine you loaded your music onto the computer and then imported to itunes? If that's the case I guess you have to delete the file in itunes as well as the original file. Likewise the music in itunes can be exported to your computer or a whatever later on as far as I know.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Every song you add to iTunes library, makes a second copy on your computer...........It is actually convenient if you know of this beforehand

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys.

Does this mean that if i have 10gb worth of music, i'll actually have 20gb as itunes makes a double of every song?

Is it worth deleting every file in my music folder in hope to gain plenty of space on the computer and still have all my songs on itunes play?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Thanks guys.

Does this mean that if i have 10gb worth of music, i'll actually have 20gb as itunes makes a double of every song?

Is it worth deleting every file in my music folder in hope to gain plenty of space on the computer and still have all my songs on itunes play?
Your iTunes library is effectively a link to all the music in the music folder on your mac (standard file path should be Macintosh HD/Users/'User name'/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music). If you have music in another folder (e.g. Downloads) and add that music to iTunes, iTunes will then make a copy and categorize it into the iTunes Music folder. Therefore, now you have 1 copy of the song in the Downloads folder and 1 in the iTunes Music folder (which iTunes is linking to).
If you delete the one in the iTunes Music folder, the iTunes library file (list of all songs that comes up in iTunes) will be trying to link back to a file/song that no longer exists, it won't play in iTunes and iTunes will show an "!" next to the song because it can't find/link to it.

If you look at the size of your iTunes Library file, you may be surprised at how small it is. Mine is 1MB. This is because it is just a bunch of text and code to link to the actual song file in the iTunes Music folder.
Unless you have doubles of the music file elsewhere in the Finder, you would be completely deleting your music if you deleted it from the iTunes Music folder.

Get to the point... Hope that makes sense. Basically, don't delete from the iTunes Music folder in the Finder, because that is the music in iTunes, it's not double counting.
However, if the music you have in iTunes is in another folder in the Finder apart from the "iTunes Music folder" (Macintosh HD/Users/'User name'/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music), then that separate copy is taking up unnecessary space.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
This is all wrong.

left shift button = R (a capital R appears if you press left shift)
right shift button = slow fancy opening of Dashboard (f12 opens it heaps faster)

Left is intermittent, and can stop after I fiddle with the fn, ctrl, alt keys, or just not do it for no reason at all. It has been intermittent in typing this.

Right is every time, now. Started slightly intermittent, after doing F12 it went away for 1 press, for example.

What the hell is going on?

Shutdown/restart = no change. Just started today.

demo man

Used to be cool.
This is all wrong.

left shift button = R (a capital R appears if you press left shift)
right shift button = slow fancy opening of Dashboard (f12 opens it heaps faster)

Left is intermittent, and can stop after I fiddle with the fn, ctrl, alt keys, or just not do it for no reason at all. It has been intermittent in typing this.

Right is every time, now. Started slightly intermittent, after doing F12 it went away for 1 press, for example.

What the hell is going on?

Shutdown/restart = no change. Just started today.
That's odd.

Update software. Possibly have a look for the keyboard driver software and re-instal that.

Mess with your keyboard setting in system prefs.

Call apple - 133 622.

Or, buy a new keyboard.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My iMac has a slight hint of the burned spots which is meant to be a fault in the new iMacs.. tossing up whether to take it to warranty.. its hardly noticeable.. even when photo editing.