Marino Bike Co rigs.

PJO

in me vL comy
So did the actual tube snap or was it a welded area?
Looks close to the weld regardless, maybe the tubes they are using are a bit too thin for this application.
Good to hear that you are unscathed.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
So I had a bit of an incident down at Maydena this week.
You did tell me that you were looking at getting something else. Maybe the bike heard you?

Got a video to post up with the last failure?

Edit: just saw your video (insert shocked face)

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So did the actual tube snap or was it a welded area?
Looks close to the weld regardless, maybe the tubes they are using are a bit too thin for this application.
Good to hear that you are unscathed.
Just at the top of where the seattube and downtube gusset is, through the tube - was close to the weld but not at it.
You did tell me that you were looking at getting something else. Maybe the bike heard you?

Got a video to post up with the last failure?

Edit: just saw your video (insert shocked face)
Yep, have a 2021 Sight A1 frameset set aside for me at lbs, must have been meant to be. *Shrugs

Video is here for those interested, frame breakage at 5:08 or so

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow! that looks like is some decent flex on the front wheel as you went down. Glad you are ok and missed those drops before it went snap the on the steeper stuff.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow! that looks like is some decent flex on the front wheel as you went down. Glad you are ok and missed those drops before it went snap the on the steeper stuff.
I think that's primarily due to GoPro distortion, I haven't actually checked the wheel closely now I think of it, but it still seems straight on initial impressions. Those XM1501's are tough SOBs. And yep - could have been far worse if it happened when I wasn't taking it easy & was charging down a tougher tech or jump trail.
Is that two DH trails crossing at right angles at 00:49??

Also. Great to hear you didn't get badly hurt. A break like that could have been nasty
It is, though technically the end of one black trail (Styx & Stones) into another (Wicked Styx), crossing a blue. (Waratah)

Was that a "hairy bark monster"?
Yeah already had a couple people crack the laughs at my reaction to that haha, thought it was a dead animal at first until I realised a second or two later it was tree bark.

lear45

Squid
So I had a bit of an incident down at Maydena this week.

View attachment 371889

Snapped just above the top of the seat tube/downtube gusset whilst landing a jump on Funky Cold Maydena. Chucked a pic up on insta just after it happened, and Marino has already contacted me to ask for more pictures and to send geo for new frame. I'd say it had been gradually cracking over the course of the day, looking back at video screengrabs you can see the powdercoat gradually flaking around the area for the previous run or two - just unfortunate I didn't notice it.
Sorry to hear that, glad you're ok. It seems to me like all Marino frame failures that I've heard of are on full suspensions and near that area. That said I haven't heard of many, so it could just be a coincidence

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Sooooo... Digging a fresh grave here, but better than starting an new thread. The current Sydney lockdowns have got me thinking about updateing my hardtail ride. Well, I've been thinking about it for a while, but finally actaully spending brain hours on it.

I've been super keen on a Chromag Primer/Rootdown, but given their supply is well out into 2022 nowadays, that led me back to the thought of the Marino option.

Has anyone been in conatact recently and know their status with COVID, demand, etc? I'll be sending them a message shortly, but hearing from locals here may ease my mind. I'm not in any particular rush, the hardtail is really my "sometimes" bike, but I'd like to update my AM/Commute HT from the "too smal for me" current rig.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
A bit exxy but at least they are in stock...

Edit: My bad, Privee is 27.5 not 29.

Edit 2: Just buy @beeb's Walty

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Sooooo... Digging a fresh grave here, but better than starting an new thread. The current Sydney lockdowns have got me thinking about updateing my hardtail ride. Well, I've been thinking about it for a while, but finally actaully spending brain hours on it.

I've been super keen on a Chromag Primer/Rootdown, but given their supply is well out into 2022 nowadays, that led me back to the thought of the Marino option.

Has anyone been in conatact recently and know their status with COVID, demand, etc? I'll be sending them a message shortly, but hearing from locals here may ease my mind. I'm not in any particular rush, the hardtail is really my "sometimes" bike, but I'd like to update my AM/Commute HT from the "too smal for me" current rig.
I did try a while ago, but had to give up in the end and go with a Waltly.

Send them a message, hopefully they're better. From looking in their socials they seem to be spending up on machinery so hopefully their wait times are dropping.

Pretty sure they have fairly high demand though, but throwing them an email won't hurt!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Edit 2: Just buy @beeb's Walty

Yeah I saw that and even posted in the thread, alas my legs are far too short for that bike! I'm needing (wanting?) a ST length of around 430mm max, shorter if it can be attained with the right durability.

I did try a while ago, but had to give up in the end and go with a Waltly.

Send them a message, hopefully they're better. From looking in their socials they seem to be spending up on machinery so hopefully their wait times are dropping.

Pretty sure they have fairly high demand though, but throwing them an email won't hurt!
Yeah, I'll be sending them a message today, will see what comes back!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A bit exxy but at least they are in stock...

Edit: My bad, Privee is 27.5 not 29.
Eff me... $4+K for a production chro-mo frame?
You can get a domestically made one with a much nicer tube set for that