Marino Bike Co rigs.

fastrider gus

super huck
I've been messaging, and now put a deposit down on a frame from these guys, http://www.waltlytitanium.com.

Communication within the hour, and very helpful so far.

The only down side is that the price is higher, but still good for a fully custom frame. There looks to be more options on other things like tubing, cable clamps, and the designs themselves are more specific and detailed.
Sorry to be that guy, what's a rough ball park for custom Ti from those guys? I had an idea a while ago about getting a Ti front triangle made up for a V10 with some different geo, I'm just around the corner from Baum cycles so I asked there but he wasnt too keen. I understand it wont be cheap, just gotta find the right guy to do it.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That's a good question at the moment. I was quoted $1100 USD posted. Then add $50 for PayPal fees...

Then apparently there was some kind of miscommunication from them when I mentioned that I wanted a dual suspension frame, and I was sent a drawing for a hardtail. A key word was missed in there somewhere by someone.

Then they sent me a generic drawing for one of their dual suspension frames, which I wasn't after. So I emailed back again with some examples and an explanation of what I'm after and now it's apparently gone back to their designers... They're still not 100% clear if the price will change or not.

And just to keep it on topic, still no return email from Marino. The last email I sent was on the 11th of December, which was a follow up from not receiving a reply from an email I sent on the 6th of November... Maybe my frame was put in the too hard basket.

fastrider gus

super huck
1100 USD for custom Ti? That's crazy cheap!
Even if it does go up a bit with the design changes, that's well under what I was thinking.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
1100 USD for custom Ti? That's crazy cheap!
Even if it does go up a bit with the design changes, that's well under what I was thinking.
I think Wkkie waiting to see if they can do anything outside make hardtails or their own flex-stay dual-suspension design will be key here. The people at Waltly are manufacturers, not designers in the true sense. You're communicating your idea/design via e-mail with someone in China, who's communicating with someone doing the tech drawing, who'll then passes the drawing to their production team. Even with a hardtail like what I'm getting it would've been easy to end up with the wrong thing, but trying to explain a dual-suspension design and get an accurate tech drawing back that their production team can actually build is fraught with peril. Also, compared to a hardtail it's a very different thing to build a dual suspension bike, as they require totally custom jigs and are essentially two separate frames that have to bolt together and align properly (and maintain all the necessary crank and chainring and tyre clearances at all point of travel). I also doubt they're doing or able to do any stress modelling, and responsibilty and choice regarding tubing and design ultimately falls on yourself. Getting a DH bike made up that works as intended (even just a modded copy of an existing bike) that will deal with the forces you can put into it would be seriously time consuming and risky, as you have to know exactly what to ask for (down to precise dimensions and location of pivot or linkage attachment points and then hope they can translate it at the other end.

I had only minor hiccups with designing my hardtail frame and found them easy to deal with, but what I'm asking for is what is typical for them. They'd need to change some of the mounts attached to the jig and custom bend a couple of bits of tube but that's it. You're effectively dealing with a manufacturing facility, that just happens to have some basic understanding of rigid and hardtail bike design. They're not hardcore bike fanatics that live and breathe linkage designs and cutting-edge geo.

Even if they will build Wkkie a single-pivot frame for that price (and hopefully they will since that's what they quoted him on), I wouldn't hold my breath that price would hold for any similar future orders once they figure out the extra material and labour involved.

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys
A bit of Warrawee if the rain holds? I might see you there.
That was the plan but didn't happen. Heading round this morning, hoping the wind calms down a tad.

Initial impressions from a backyard ride though, so playful! It almost begs you to throw the back around. Frame feels noticeably top-heavier than the Norco HT or Trek Remedy I rode recently - weighs 4.4kg with shock, BB and headset cups installed. Will grab a total weight later.
Looks great @Isaakk - love the colour.
Originally I was actually after more of a metallic gunmetal, but they couldn't do that so ended up with just gloss grey. Definitely still happy with it though.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Just found an expanding issue with the paint work on my frame.

It's rough to the touch and as you can see it's enlarged significantly since I've had it. There is a small mark on the first photo, which may have been the start of it...

I'm no paint / metal expert, so I'm hoping it's just something with the green underneath and the clear coat reacting, but that seems unlikely. Hopefully it's not a major corrosion thing...

TM2

Likes Bikes
Just found an expanding issue with the paint work on my frame.

It's rough to the touch and as you can see it's enlarged significantly since I've had it. There is a small mark on the first photo, which may have been the start of it...

I'm no paint / metal expert, so I'm hoping it's just something with the green underneath and the clear coat reacting, but that seems unlikely. Hopefully it's not a major corrosion thing...

View attachment 358823View attachment 358824View attachment 358821View attachment 358822
Kinda looks like a pair of sweaty hands touched the frame and the grease wasn't removed before painting?

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Definitely corrosion from contamination before painting:( will need to be stripped, properly prepped and re-painted to do it properly. Up to you if you try getting it done by Marino under warranty and the subsequent drama and wait. Or take it on the chin and get it done locally. May be able to just do the one tube that’s affected?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh, that sucks. Looks to be something you wouldn't easily notice without having a transparent paint coat. Would be interested to see what Marino says if you chuck him a message.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Bummer. If you’re in Melbourne, A class powder coating in Moorabin blasted and powder coated my frame for $165... that’s including the special order color.