Mechanical Craziness!! Cold war preferred, anything nuts also gratefully accepted!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
A couple of hydrogen bomb designs all in the name of slaughtering as many people as possible!
And the end result, the largest nuclear device ever detonated belongs to the soviets, reports vary on it's size but most agree that it came in at 65 megatonnes, enough to evaporate Sydney and outwards to the Blue mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong, a truly genocidal weapon!

Attachments

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Busy airports no longer an issue. Awaiting an A380 that can do this!
Don't know what it is for, but it looks gnarly
Chinese manufactured Robotic Walking Jumbo Drill Rig (Lazer cannons optional)
Funny how there is no back seat and where is the spare tyre? Oh....., it is atop the nuclear reactor. The plan was that every 5000 miles, the owner would pull into the local nuclear re-filling station and swap nuclear fuel sources. I'd definatley be hanging onto my shopper dockets for the fuel discounts. Never really took off........funny that

Attachments

Last edited:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just watched a shiteload of stuff on the new shit coming from russia, US and china, firstly chinas stuff looks like a mutt of both the US and russian stuff, so it better perform or they're gunna look pretty dang stupid. The US stuff is quite interesting and suprisingly hard to find out about, usually they like to parade around about thier stuff, so perhaps this one will be good :rolleyes:. The russian stuff is hard to decipher, best I see it they have 3 airframes their testing one of which will be the new russian-indian joint project steath fighter and one will be teh new russian stealth fighter, its all a load of mumbojumbo spread over the net, but thats how I best understand it. Anyway some pictures I gathered together, first one is conceptual idea of one of the 3 russian airframes, second is wintunnel testing another concept I believe (the internet is hard to understand at times).

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
This is a cool Russian Mechanized Parachute Infantry video. Of interest is the retro rockets fitted to their armoured vehicle parachutes. They fire at a pre-determined altitude to slow the vehicles descent. There's rumours that in the past they tried to drop the vehicles fully crewed (as in, inside the tank, under canopy), with spectacularly bad results.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPIGOjEPrto&feature=related

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There was also that other one of the paras jumping off the wings of planes into snow..., pretty sure with the same results.

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Nothing to do with cold war or air planes but coming for a coal mining background I thought I'd post a longwall.

The bigger ones are up to 400m long and 6meters high... I ones I've worked were a mere 250 meters wide and 2 meters high. But these things are driven underground in a hole that's only just wider than the wall... Made up of a bunch of different components and typically driven by a crew of 6
Taken this week:

The oldest Longwall in QLD (1983), still kicking. Just kicked off the new block last week and already got some narly geology and grading going on at the moment, makes my job more interesting...

Picture 059.jpg

Picture 086.jpg

Picture 313.jpg

Picture 082.jpg

Picture 081.jpg

Last edited:

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Taken this week:

The oldest Longwall in QLD (1983), still kicking. Just kicked off the new block last week and already got some narly geology and grading going on at the moment, makes my job more interesting...

What do you do for a living?

One thing I have wondered with Longwall setups is how do the shields and face conveyor move themselves?

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*Cough* Bump of mad thread *Cough*

From here.

"Back in the ’70s, Russian were making some tests on trains. A team of engineers from Kalininsky took a standard ER22 train, added two Yak-40 engines and named their new creation “SVL” ".

"And yes, it worked without a problem, it even reached the speed 249 km/h (180 miles/h). Given the fact that this happened back in the ’70s, this was an incredible speed, and still is a big speed for a train. Fortunately, it never went into mass production"

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not cold war, and hopefully not posted. The giant earthquake dampening ball inside taipei 101
*Snip!*
Oh man that thing is epic! I remember watching mega structures with it, from memory isn't it so enormously heavy that the building was sort of built around it because they had no real way of lifting it in.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
Less aircrafts more random stuff!!! *edit* Sorry, Didnt notice the thread title :eek:

Worlds largest bucket wheel excavator. Basically it was created to chomp mountains. :eek:

http://technologydigest.blogspot.com/2007/04/worlds-biggest-excavator.html

my Dad did a presentation on this (mining gear company) and he got a picture of a way that got in the car or something along the lines of that, and the car fitted nicely with extra room into one of the scoops on that thing.

kemmis

Likes Dirt
Oh man that thing is epic! I remember watching mega structures with it, from memory isn't it so enormously heavy that the building was sort of built around it because they had no real way of lifting it in.
I saw a show about it with richard hammond in it not long ago. How do they come up with this stuff?

Little T

Likes Dirt
Bump.

I saw a documentry on the Horten Ho 229 this afternoon, the first plane to be designed with stealth technology and it was made from plywood to help repel the radar signals.

The Horten Ho IX was a late-World War II prototype flying wing fighter/bomber, designed by Reimar and Walter Horten and built by Gothaer Waggonfabrik. It is the first pure flying wing powered by a turbojet, and has been described by some as the first aircraft designed to incorporate stealth technology. It was a personal favorite of German Luftwaffe chief Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, and was the only aircraft to come close to meeting his "1000, 1000, 1000" performance requirements. Its speed was estimated at 1,024 km/h (636 mph) and its ceiling 15,000 meters (49,213 ft).

They were also begining to design an upscaled version that could fly to America with a nuclear bomb, Nazi Germans were crazy!

Hew

Likes Dirt
Plywood?

They made a plane that goes over 1000km/h out of wood. And plywood at that.

:|

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
The test models were made by Reimar and Walter Horten but the V2 (production model) was Gothaer Waggonfabrik(sp?) design (i.e the 'Go-229').

Because of the war, getting the materials to produce something metal was virtually impossible. The Heinkel's He 162 Volksjäger ('people's fighter') was a classic example of a relativly simple aircraft, that could be made from basic materials (ie. things that were not of strategic importance) and produced by unskilled labour. Heck, it was actually intended to be flown by Hitler Youth after short training. (Imagine that? Air to air conbat with glorified scouts!)

Many of these weird and wonderful designs were scrap steel frames with a plywood outerskin. (This skin on the HoIX/Go-229 was actually two layers of plywood with a layer of sawdust and glue sandwhiched between it to absorb radar waves and to give a small mount of reflection).

If you're after more weird and wonderful German jets, google 'Alexander Lippisch' who was also big on the flying-wing thing (i.e. tailplane-less planes). One example is the P.13a, eseentally a flying tailplane which was designed to be run on coal (ie. ramjet powered) because of the rapidly diminishing resouces. After the War, Lippisch had alot to do with the American designer Convair, and the F-102 and F-106 fighters.

Another of my favourite German (failures) stories is the Heinkel 177 Grief (Griffin). This was designed as Germany's only heavy bomber, capable of flying faster than a Junkers 89 medium bomber, to carry more thank 1000kg of payload and to fly further thank 5000km. Further, it was to have the strength to dive bomb! Just for the record, on paper, this aircraft should technically outrun most fighters of the day and far exceeds the designations of any other bomber made to that date. Unfortunatly, it went downhill from there. Plagued by metal fatigue/stress issues because of its enourmouse weight, it came too late in the war to make much difference and killed more aircrews just taking off, than in actual combat. On of the biggest issues was engine overheating-related fires, due to the fact two engines were fitted per nacelle (essentially 12 cylinders to a manifold cooled by surface evapouration since radiators induced a dair amount of drag).

(A dive bomber! What were they thinking!?)