NSW Mill Creek Conservation Park (Menai) - MTB Trail building Thread

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
+1 to that Al
Also what's the plan for next build day?
Really need to get back on the Creek tail and over the other side as well, things
are stagnating out there a tad, not only from a build perspective but also from a riding one.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Kevin is on annual leave this week, so to lift our riding time we are meeting at 8.30am at ANSTO car park.
Plan is to go for a pedal and check out some new sections we are targeting.

We we won't have a key.

The Menai Metro MTB guys will be riding the Menai trails as well this Saturday, meeting at Barden Ridge oval (121 Old Illawarra Rd Barden Ridge). Welcome to join!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Canned if raining guys ... appreciate if those closer to the area could post up an update tonight. I sux as weather calls

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Update

As you may have noticed things have slowed down substantially.

Behind the scenes the Lads have been emailing and calling, chatting and more talking to SSC Legal and ANSTO.

What we are waiting for is for ANSTO to comment or more hopefully finalise legal agreements with SSC, to allow for MTB access to ANSTO lands adjacent to Mill Creek Conservation lands.

This agreement was sent to ANSTO 31 Oct 14.

We have sent several followup emails to ANSTO and SSC have done the same.

Looking like its letter writing time again.

With regards to the Gun Club. I don't have any official update, however, I am going to follow up to reopen flow trail ... I vote we rename it "3 eye'd fish"

Word on the street is that the current lease will be reduced to cover lands along the fence line to Stray Bullets. All the other bits will remain conservation lands, open to MTB access. TBC

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
FYI

Flow trail is opened on an interim basis. Track closed signage has not yet been removed.

Trails West of Mill Creek (ie Stray Bullets area) remains closed. please do not ride on the other side of the creek until further notice.

Interim;
Some Legal Opinions are being obtained by the Gun Club for Existing Use rights.
In short, access is not finalised or guaranteed for lands west of Mill Creek. However, flow trail is back at least for now.

EDIT:
Please Be careful on the flow trail given all the Water, we are unsure of the condition of the trail, whether there are fallen trees etc. If you get down there, We'd appreciate comments on general trail condition and any potential work to be done. Thx

Last edited:

markb84

Likes Dirt
Trail condition update

Went for a spin on Saturday between storms.

The trails have held up pretty well overall to the recent weather, there are some areas of pooling water and some bushes/small trees across the trail in places so be careful.

The riverside flow trail (Toxic flow/three eyed fish) has dealt with not being used (Ahem) pretty well but needs some attention to get it back to it's former glory. There are numerous areas that are pooling, some silt build up and erosion in places. Oh and there's a f@cking huge tree in the middle of the trail half way along (just before the S bend berms if you know it well) someone has started to chop it up with a chainsaw but there's a fair amount more work required to clear it.

To get the trail back to shape it's probably a couple of trail days, but given how fun that section is when it's in good shape, time worth spending.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Next Build Date: Saturday 09 May
Start: 7.45am at the gate
What to bring: Water, hat, gloves, enclosed shoes, digging tools (Muttocks, McLeods etc)
Kevin will have some gloves and assorted tools so don't stress if you don't have your own.

I wouldn't mind going for a pedal after, but depends on how shagged I am.

All help appreciated.

Al

Last edited: