Mont 24 advice

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
ACCC told me to write a letter to SPE, telling me I am entitled to a full refund.
If you read on, you will learn that I have YET TO write this letter.... pending SPE's next course of action.

to all those smart arse who have chimed in regarding a friendly donation... I'd love to see how much is talk and how much is action.

seriously take a chill pill dude......it was an act of God....go sue him...or at least grab a beer and go watch the movie....

FFS your behaviour is appalling.....

moorey

call me Mia
I'm fully aware of that. Regardless, monies have been transferred, and I honestly hope that it makes him have a good hard look at himself.
LOL
at least I know Moorey is a man of his word... :thumb:
what about all the other smart ones? All talk? :argue:

Moorey,
All the self righteous people on here that think an organiser can keep 100% of the $$$ and provide no event are the ones who need a good hard look at themselve... in what sense is that right? thats the bottom line
Do you really think they are going to retire on this windfall? Do you really think it was/in in their interest to cancel?
Read my last post to Parma-vagina...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
LOL
at least I know Moorey is a man of his word... :thumb:
what about all the other smart ones? All talk? :argue:

Moorey transferred 40 bucks- I will transfer another 20 (when I get paid tomorrow) thats roughly a third- you be ok with that Chops. Being a man of my word.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
In years gone by (and Ive done quite a few Monts) the rider insurance we were required to pay on rego was refundable on presentation of your MTBA license. I was under the impression that was still the case, Ive just seen this on their website;

"*Please note: This event is not affiliated with MTBA. There is no refund of Rider Cover for riders with an MTBA license."

So it looks like they changed that this year and now have private higher level rider insurance. That would need to be paid upfront and Id imagine wouldnt be refundable

Again my bad for not adequately reading their waivers

moorey

call me Mia
So, if it is indeed against the law to offer no refunds and not deliver the event, do you support SPE and other promoters in continuing to pretend the law doesn't apply?
So answer the question then, don't dodge it.
I'm no lawyer. But knowing what it takes to get this sort of thing ready to run, even if cancelled, I would accept the T&C, be disappointed not to race, and take it on the chin...not run to Tracy Grimshaw, or whoever hosts ACA these days.
I support SPE to state the T&C, and expect people signing it to accept the risk involved.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I had an awesome weekend in Canbrahh with my mates from interstate, we forked out more monies for hotel accommodation, rode everyday in new and interesting places, drank heaps and heaps of beer, had dinner out every night... Even had ice cream.

I love riding my bike (not purple), I love riding my bike even more with some of my best mates... I can't imagine not having any friends.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
ACCC told me to write a letter to SPE, telling me I am entitled to a full refund.
Misinterpretation Norman, the ACCC just told you to piss off :wave:

Perhaps what you need to do is get yourself a lawyer ($1000 deposit for filing motions, and other disbursements, photocopying, phone calls et cetera) and see if he or she is willing to bring a representative action (what Americans call a class action) on the contract and gather as many malcontents from this forum and get them to chip in as well. Go for it, have your day in court. All things being equal you will end up spending more than $180 to get your refund, if you actually succeed. You can apply for an award of costs to the magistrate, which means SPE has to pay your costs, though I doubt they will be awarded. In any event you have to specify an amount to be awarded and if the magistrate thinks it is too much, you fail. There is no adjustment made it is success or fail, so often the advocate will ask for a lower amount to improve the chances of success (that is if you hire a good solicitor that knows the courts and magistrates and knows exactly where to aim). Those types don't come cheap it will be between $250-$300/hr. However remember don't let the economics or the practicalities of the time and stress, or even what others say, stop you. Always remember; it's the principle of the thing! :bounce:

ChopSticks

Banned
Misinterpretation Norman, the ACCC just told you to piss off :wave:

Perhaps what you need to do is get yourself a lawyer ($1000 deposit for filing motions, and other disbursements, photocopying, phone calls et cetera) and see if he or she is willing to bring a representative action (what Americans call a class action) on the contract and gather as many malcontents from this forum and get them to chip in as well. Go for it, have your day in court. All things being equal you will end up spending more than $180 to get your refund, if you actually succeed. You can apply for an award of costs to the magistrate, which means SPE has to pay your costs, though I doubt they will be awarded. In any event you have to specify an amount to be awarded and if the magistrate thinks it is too much, you fail. There is no adjustment made it is success or fail, so often the advocate will ask for a lower amount to improve the chances of success (that is if you hire a good solicitor that knows the courts and magistrates and knows exactly where to aim). Those types don't come cheap it will be between $250-$300/hr. However remember don't let the economics or the practicalities of the time and stress, or even what others say, stop you. Always remember; it's the principle of the thing! :bounce:
my bad, it was ACT Fair trading that said I can/should.
no need for any lawyers etc..... had I lodged it with NSW, they even said any proceedings can be done via telecom :)

Honestly loving all this hate !
really doesnt bother me knowing I'm not in the wrong.

You guys can ride on your high horse all you like... (esp those who haven't paid for the race should have no say in this event)
When simply put... SPE have issued $0 for a $180 that didnt happen.... those that think its cool, then great for you. I must stress again i never expected a full refund... only what is fair (race cover? camping?) + what SPE deems fit (obviously nothing)

so continue to crucify me when it is YOU who need to have a good hard think about the situation.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I had an awesome weekend in Canbrahh with my mates from interstate, we forked out more monies for hotel accommodation, rode everyday in new and interesting places, drank heaps and heaps of beer, had dinner out every night... Even had ice cream.

I love riding my bike (not purple), I love riding my bike even more with some of my best mates... I can't imagine not having any friends.
thats the spirit little buddy- youll never be without friends with an attitude like that. I like you very much :wave:

moorey

call me Mia
my bad, it was ACT Fair trading that said I can/should.
no need for any lawyers etc..... had I lodged it with NSW, they even said any proceedings can be done via telecom :)

Honestly loving all this hate !
really doesnt bother me knowing I'm not in the wrong.

You guys can ride on your high horse all you like... (esp those who haven't paid for the race should have no say in this event)
When simply put... SPE have issued $0 for a $180 that didnt happen.... those that think its cool, then great for you. I must stress again i never expected a full refund... only what is fair (race cover? camping?) + what SPE deems fit (obviously nothing)

so continue to crucify me when it is YOU who need to have a good hard think about the situation.
Fuck me.
Always suspected you were a psychopath...didn't realise you were an utter cunt also :faint2:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I know it's from WA but is there an ACT equivalent?
That document is actually a federal government publication. All states and territories now have (with some very subtle differences) the same consumer protection laws which came into effect at the beginning of 2011.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
thats the spirit little buddy- youll never be without friends with an attitude like that. I like you very much :wave:
I'm down on Sunday for big road ride - will call and see if you can have a beer with us afterwards... We can sit around and talk about what could've been and put lots of energy, time and resources into solving trivial shit.