Mont 24hr

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Track was truly wonderful, especially at night.... but racing for the first time on a single speed I was feeling that the section with the switchback climbs and short steep fireroad at around 12km in was there to just personally f@*k me up. :)
Yeah that short bit of fire road before Sidewinder got me every time too. I don't think it was as steep as it felt, I'm sure there was some kind of weird extra gravity or magnetic force there.

dadcram

Squid
+1 to the rubbish. We bleat about it every race, and it never gets any better.

I propose a 1 minute time bonus for every wrapper you pick up and return on your last lap. I wonder if that would work?

And great to see so many ETS-X's out as well - I saw 3! (including the one I was sitting on)
There were 2 in our team! I made sure my Orange one was next to another on the start line. Didn't help me though.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Yeah I remember those two. Was quite mellow in that train of riders despite the obvious frustration, but also I guess a certain level of being a little freaked seeing the poor rider on a stretcher. There was some friendly joking about SSers and some chatting. Was really a time for good behaviour... and really everyone was going to come out of it in the same order they went in!! Queue jumpers are never liked.

Track was truly wonderful, especially at night.... but racing for the first time on a single speed I was feeling that the section with the switchback climbs and short steep fireroad at around 12km in was there to just personally f@*k me up. :)
That was strange wasn't it, in practice you could fly up there, but come 3am it was a bit different, although seing as my team mate Vaneena flew up there in big ring made me feel a little bit hopeless, is this the bit of climbing that was only about 50 metres long after already climbing through some switchbacks?..much harder than it looked at night!:eek:

Blah!

Squid
Loved the track and the event.
Huge thanks to the organisers and volunteers!
Yeah, i got stuck in the broken leg traffic on my first lap... The two clowns that came through screaming "Track" were certainly disliked by everyone I spoke to. Didn't matter for me anyway. I hit the fire road, gained a few places before in the next kilometre or two my seatpost snapped. Half a lap without a saddle was extremely painful. :mad:
The seat post is now affectionately known as "Chunks" can even be seen in one of the pics by Paulb threatening to sodomise my backside. Got a lot of laughs from people on and off the track with a busted seat post. :rolleyes:

Other than a couple of tools acting like fools I found everyone on and off the track extremely friendly and courteous. Particularly the guys who when I'd ask "Do you want track?" they'd just say "Nah, mate, you're holding a good pace through here. Keep it up!".

Cheers again to everyone that put into the Mont. It was unreal. Will definitely be back.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe I was present when this occured and was truely disgusted at the arrogance of these 2 riders namely the one on the Red intense in the SRAM jersey! (You know who you are and your colleagues may too) Seriously WTF guys? Yes it was a race but the line up was nearly 500m long and everyone else was in the same position. You certainly didn't win any fans.

ps. I over took you on a later fire road anyway.
Owned!

Haha is there anything sweeter than that!

kerbs

Likes Bikes
Yeah that short bit of fire road before Sidewinder got me every time too. I don't think it was as steep as it felt, I'm sure there was some kind of weird extra gravity or magnetic force there.
Very nasty, and having ridden Sparrow lots and never having seen a hill that size in Sparrow, totally unexpected.

But wasn't it good riding up it, past full geared walkers :p

craign

Likes Dirt
And with 5 of those teams finding themselves a strong chance for 2nd place a fair few pushed themselves right through to the end before cracking the beers.
About midnight I think there was about 30 minutes between 2nd and 10th (or something like that). But then the attrition of the night started.

Apart from the Gu guys it was a pretty competitive and even field. How do we rig the rules to get them banned? :p

maff

Squid
Awesome event!

Does anyone know the name of the bike shop that was onsite? Doing the spares sales and repairs etc...

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apart from the Gu guys it was a pretty competitive and even field. How do we rig the rules to get them banned? :p
They came 2nd!

It seems to be a battle between the GU/Yeti guys and the Rockstar guys at all the races.

austy

Likes Bikes
nice mechanic

one of those bike culture guys was sitting there in the dark at 3am, in the cold wrapped up in a blanket. He didnt mind getting up and fixing my mates bike, all with a big smile on his face,what a legend.
that was my first ever race and everyone was very cool, and thumbs up to the check-point people cheering everyone on at the last lap, i felt like i was in the tour!

craign

Likes Dirt
I reckon it was the set up for that climb that made it hurt so much on the SS. The switchbacks, particularly the long off camber right hander were a bit of a grind especially in traffic. I was usually pretty dead at the top and messed up my line at the start of sidewinder just about every lap.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon it was the set up for that climb that made it hurt so much on the SS. The switchbacks, particularly the long off camber right hander were a bit of a grind especially in traffic. I was usually pretty dead at the top and messed up my line at the start of sidewinder just about every lap.
Getting behind people spinning up there on geared bikes really made that section hard (though of course thats their right to do that.. no complaining). I put a foot down once halfway up the switchbacks because of a blockage and starting again was just horrible. I was always so wasted by the beginning of Sidewinder I rode it like a drunk for around 200m.

I really enjoyed being jokingly jeared/encouraged by a much much faster geared rider at night on the creek run when he saw me spinning my legs madly to go fast. I asked whether he wanted to pass and he said something like "No, go just for it".

Which leads me to a recurring thought... why the hell single speed? I am loving SS even though it is harder for me than gears, but I just truly really enjoy it... just not exactly sure what it is.

kerbs

Likes Bikes
why the hell single speed? I am loving SS even though it is harder for me than gears, but I just truly really enjoy it... just not exactly sure what it is.
Harder than gears? shhhh... that's what we tell them, but it's not that way in practice.

Seriously though... For the little bit of extra effort to get uphill, which you get used to (and even find easy after plenty of practice), the flats and downhills are pretty cruisy, and not having to think about gear selection all the time lets you enjoy the ride more.

Banned!!!! What

Apart from the Gu guys it was a pretty competitive and even field. How do we rig the rules to get them banned? :p[/QUOTE said:
Mate don't try and have us banned!:eek:We are SS'ing for the same reason you guys are, because it rocks!
TJB got me SS'ing 12mths ago and I'm hooked hard.
There's nothing like the silence of a SS ripping silently through the single track in the dark of night. Especially when you are overtaking gearies:D
No chain slap and no gear crunching, lovin' the smooth quiet ride.

The more people that give SS'ing a go the better I reckon.
Maybe some more SS specific events would start happening.

Awesome weekend! My first time at Sparrow hill and I think as others have suggested the SS just loves that track.

scbullit

Likes Dirt
May as well just call a spade a shovel on this issue. #ockstar and Gu were duking it out all day/night/day and causing a fair bit of chaos in the process. We are not slow but many in our team copped it and we gave it back x2. Race leader! Race leader! ...so what, there is no cash on offer for being the biggest twats. Personally, I was barracking for Gu as I'm a bit over the so called (ockstars.

Otherwise, best 24 track ever.
I had one of the "rockstars" call "race leader coming through" only to then hear him go over the bars right behind me. He passed me a couple of hundred metres later, so he was ok, but I had a little chuckle...

I also had a chat with Paul Cole when he came past camp and he was telling me about those impatient wankers who barged through when the guy broke his leg. Paul was slowing everyone down and warning people of an injured rider, but these clowns kept going through...

Great event, and our team had some Sparrow virgins who were creaming themselves over the flowy single track!

Last edited: