Mont Wrap Up

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
It is unfortunate that it happens but I for one have been passed by way more average riders being idiots than sponsored riders.
Yep - my experience is that the Elite riders aren't the problem. Its the riders who think they're Elite ;)

...jim

skanky media ho
True enough - it ain't the clued-up elites. But over the years, as more serious racing has become an increased part of these events, there has been a parallel increase in tales of dodgy passing. In the early days the groundswell behind the whole 24hr thing was so successful because it was initally an outlet for those that were a bit disgruntled with the intensity of XC events.

A shift is going to have to come in the general thinking of those that R.A.C.E - and if there's emphasis on curtious passing for elites that's going to rub off elsewhere. Sure, a dick's always going to be a dick - but by accepting that dodgy passing is ok your not doing anything to ease the situation. But making it obvious that rude moves are unacceptable by rewarding good behaviour is setting the correct direction from the outset.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
but is it certain this was a sponsored rider or a LBS guy who bought the shop shirt and nix?
I think I may know who it was :rolleyes:

Re: Clarence St rider - What I don't get is that her partner is the consummate gentleman on course and always passes in a friendly and professional manner.

I like that CSC posted an apology, text book PR, but as for "I have known Kimberley for a few years, and this is the first incident I can recall where she has not exercised due care on the trails and respect for other riders safety." That made me giggle just a bit...

But like what has been said before, it's the wannabe's who are racing for bottom step of the podium that generally are the problem. Where as Sid Taberlay and Willo - super nice on track and insanely fast, I genuinely want to let them past because they're friendly guys and it's great to ride behind them for 2.8 seconds until they' vanish in a cloud of dust.

Back to the good stuff: All up it was tops, very happy with the shwag we got for 3rd (hic!) and my first ever MTB trophy! That's going straight to the pool room!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
.. out comes the bulldozer.
Totally out of context but ..who stole the rusty old bulldozer from Majura? It and the green shrubs around it disappeared a little while ago. Next thing you know it'll be the car body from the Auto Alley area.. :(

I was a little disappointed that the race detoured around Butt Wound Gully, too! Given that there were no solo riders, or even teams of 2/3 I would have thought Paul Cole might have been a bit more adventurous and give people a couple more opportunities to fall off. (Though I hear that the log "roll over"/jump about half way around claimed a couple of victims, I hope you're all OK now!)

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Totally out of context but ..who stole the rusty old bulldozer from Majura? It and the green shrubs around it disappeared a little while ago. :(
Not sure, but it is likely to have been CALM as part of their regular cleanup. The bit of track that went around it was put in only last year by Darren Stewart as part of the approved work he did for CORC. At the time he gave it the name "Tractor Factor". Guess he'll be looking for a new name now.

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Any well meaning (but ill considered) trail building has the potential to damage that relationship, and damage it quickly.
Damn right. Many ACT locals will be aware that there are other users of places like Stromlo and the forests who would love to see MTB disappear. The relationships we have developed with the ACT Govt to use these areas are based on the premise of CORC being trusted custodians of the areas we are allowed to build trails in. As Russ has hinted, certain areas like the ACT Forests provide us with more freedom in the management of trails and where the new ones will go because of the trust we have developed (ie they have faith that we will close old trails when they are no longer needed, and not build new ones at a rate which makes it look like a spaghetti bomb). In the case of Stromlo though it is still early days - CORC has still to build up the trust with the land managers, and the openness of the landscape allows for illegal trail activity to be easily picked up by some of those unsupportive groups. Not that this condones any illegal trail activity where it can be hidden - ALL new trail work or trail modifications done at Majura or Stromlo needs to go through the CORC Trails Team, or for Sparrow Hill and Kowen Paul Cole.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
(Though I hear that the log "roll over"/jump about half way around claimed a couple of victims, I hope you're all OK now!)
He he. I rode through here around 10pmish to find a lot of people standing around a guy lying face down on the ground and not doing much. Stopped to ask if all was OK, therere were some mumbled OKs when a LBSG poked his head around the corner with a big grin on his face saying "You should of seen it - it was like a disco - red, white, red, white, red, white, red, white, red, white, red." The earlier conversation allegedy went something like this:

LBSG: Are you OK?
Crash Test Dummy: Not really sure
LBSG: Well I can help you out if you have a busted derailleur
Crash Test Dummy: What do you do?
LBSG: Working in a bike shop, what do you do?
Crash Test Dummy: I'm a paramedic (Gets phone out and rings for help)

morgs

morgs
Not sure, but it is likely to have been CALM as part of their regular cleanup. The bit of track that went around it was put in only last year by Darren Stewart as part of the approved work he did for CORC. At the time he gave it the name "Tractor Factor". Guess he'll be looking for a new name now.
It's sitting out at the new Forestry HQ just down the road from Stromlo, along with various other bits of old logging machinery. Seems they're starting up a little collection.

M

mycyclingdisorder

Just who are those bucket boys? ;)
Dunno, but my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl overheard someone say that they came from the same Polish village as the Kasper and Viktor Kowalski. They too, had to dig their way out of oppression and find freedom in a new land. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
. They too, had to dig their way out of oppression and find freedom in a new land. :)
Seems theres a lot of digging out of holes these days!

Perhaps the Buckets and the Kowalskis should get together for a family reunion and talk about the sweet smell of freshly dug single trail...theres a whole forest between Stromlo and the city that is calling for a linking trail

Can we astro? please?

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Seems theres a lot of digging out of holes these days!

Perhaps the Buckets and the Kowalskis should get together for a family reunion and talk about the sweet smell of freshly dug single trail...theres a whole forest between Stromlo and the city that is calling for a linking trail

Can we astro? please?
There's a ticket to Spankytown right here, with your name on it :)

Seriously though, plans are to get onto the Stromlo-city linking trail proposal in the coming weeks, now that Stromlo Stage 2 has officially come to a close (that's right folks, Glen's shipping container has moved onto the next job). Guess this is a good oportunity to ask if there is anyone out there in Farkin land (local to Canberra) who would be keen on joining the CORC Trails Team and helping us out with this one. Alot of the groundwork has been done, so it's now just a matter of getting behind and pushing real hard. Sooo....., anyone?

Astro

PS If you think you won't be able to make a difference, remember what FRDrew has achieved so far with Gungahlin (not there yet, but progress).

Last edited:

morto1980

Likes Dirt
There's a trip to Spankytown right here, with your name on it :)

Seriously though, plans are to get onto the Stromlo-city linking trail proposal in the coming weeks, now that Stromlo Stage 2 has officially come to a close (that's right folks, Glen's shipping container has moved onto the next job). Guess this is a good oportunity to ask if there is anyone out there in Farkin land (local to Canberra) who would be keen on joining the CORC Trails Team and helping us out with this one. Alot of the groundwork has been done, so it's now just a matter of getting behind and pushing real hard. Sooo....., anyone?

Astro

PS If you think you won't be able to make a difference, remember what FRDrew has achieved so far with Gungahlin (not there yet, but progress).
Stromlo -> City?!?!? Wow. That'd kick ass. :D

I'd be interested in helping but I might already be in too deep with Nationals volunteer work - PM me and we'll see.

3bottombrackets

Cannon Fodder
Hey guys, sorry but haven't had the chance to go through and search all 12 pages..... does anyone know what photographers were on course and do you have links to their sites so I can check em out?