Mont Wrap Up

freeride_ac

Likes Dirt
i cant find any mont pics on the cycle-photos site.
I was talking to one of their photographers and he said they had a lot of events on so it would take them until around midweek or so. Give it another few days and they should be up i reckon. Can't wait to see 'em!

freshly_squized

Likes Bikes
Every one who commented on the kimberly incident..... i agree but i sorter see her side of the story wanting to get out there and get her lap done ... but it was un called for....

but one thing i like is the pro riders who called "track" and then "right" rather that of track when they were right next to you... then pushed you off the track...
Also i noticed that alot of pro/elite riders werent swapping the lanyard.. which i though was a bit unfair.... Did anybody else notice this.......

Anyway top weekend apart from the trees after the last gulley... which clamed the first hit of the MONT by ME on the green specialized XC pro where i hit it head on... lukly not breaking anyhting

thanks to al the pople who volunteered and longrides who made the weeked what it was...

cheers

xx
dan

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
Also i noticed that alot of pro/elite riders werent swapping the lanyard.. which i though was a bit unfair.... Did anybody else notice this.......
I did. I had no problem with that. The lanyard is a bit pointless, no one checks if you are carrying it. 99.9% of people won't cheat anyway. We continued to swap it after watching other teams just tag each other, but I'd rather just tag. It looked cooler than fumbling a card on a lanyard out of your pocket....:cool:

Props to Longrides, 24hrs at Majura was sweeeeeet. Sparrows next?

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is no way I'm going to stick something around my neck during a race, so why carry the lanyard?

Not to mention it gets me all excited when I get to slap my teammates on the bum :p.

...jim

skanky media ho
There is no way I'm going to stick something around my neck during a race, so why carry the lanyard?
Um, perhaps because it's part of the rules of the race?

Ok, strictly speaking that's the passport, not the lanyard (which we dumped, handing the plastic only from rider to rider). I noticed the Gu boys abided by the rules too. Hey, maybe we came second!

DaGonz

Eats Squid

Ok, strictly speaking that's the passport, not the lanyard (which we dumped, handing the plastic only from rider to rider). I noticed the Gu boys abided by the rules too. Hey, maybe we came second!
Maybe third? we were passing the sweaty bit of plastic around and stuffing up the leg of our nicks all night.

Cheers
Gonz

Stubags

Likes Bikes
I think it's a rediculous system. I'd be more than happy with the hand slap. I saw more than one passport on the track that had escaped the nix and the fumbling around at transition is a waste of time IMO

...jim

skanky media ho
I think it's a rediculous system. I'd be more than happy with the hand slap. I saw more than one passport on the track that had escaped the nix and the fumbling around at transition is a waste of time IMO
Yes, it is a silly system - but if it's the rules of the event it's the rules of the event. If you ignore the rules and gain time with a hand slap and I abide by the rules yet lose time by fumbling around in transition - frankly under a harsh reading of the rules, you're cheating.

Huw Kingston said, when someone questioned him about carrying the saftey gear at a Polaris some years ago, something along the lines of - "If I want to I'll make you all carry a pink fluffy bunny".

Guess what was on the equipment list the following year.

Last edited:

Mick01

Likes Bikes

I agree, it is a bit pointless and one thing that I preferred about the Scott over the Mont was the lack of baton/passport and the fact you could ride through transition. Now just waiting for the day when they start using RFID (or similar).

Mick

tjb

Likes Dirt
By the time those cycle-photos guys get their photos out we'll all have forgotten there was a race last weekend!

As others have said, Sportograf.de have set the bar to a new height with their speed after the Scott ....

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Now just waiting for the day when they start using RFID (or similar).
This has been discussed to quite some end here, and other places. I'm sure Russ will be along shortly but the limiting factors were technology, cost, and accuracy.

Having 1000 people cross a mat or two after 100km's has a reasonable error rate. having 2500 people go over a mat every 30mins for 24 hours the error rate becomes a problem. The technology to avoid this costs, which would have to go on to the competitors which I'm sure most won't want, not to mention you have to have the manual backup systems anyway.

From what I understand, Cost Vs Benefit isn't there yet.

Cheers
Gonz

M

mycyclingdisorder

By the time those cycle-photos guys get their photos out we'll all have forgotten there was a race last weekend!
Good one.

Actually, I've been in touch with the cycle-photos guys today, as well as their programmer dude, and the plan is (once their bit is ready, which I am assured will be today) that I will make it active this evening.

This of course will be after my night ride - because real live bike riding wins over clicking keys and moving the mouse every single time. Sparrow + Darkness + Bike = FUN :D

You'll then be able to browse all the photos. I'll stick it in NEWS section somewhere.

Keep the rubber side down.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mycyclingdisorder

A RedBull as the changeover baton? Then you'd have something useful if you were fading later in the lap. ;0)

and because beer would be silly...

Last edited by a moderator:

Graunched

Likes Dirt
This has been discussed to quite some end here, and other places. I'm sure Russ will be along shortly but the limiting factors were technology, cost, and accuracy.

Having 1000 people cross a mat or two after 100km's has a reasonable error rate. having 2500 people go over a mat every 30mins for 24 hours the error rate becomes a problem. The technology to avoid this costs, which would have to go on to the competitors which I'm sure most won't want, not to mention you have to have the manual backup systems anyway.

From what I understand, Cost Vs Benefit isn't there yet.

Cheers
Gonz

I dont know exactly what system '2 Wheel Promotions" use at Koralbyn but every endurance race i have ridden there the lap timing has been done electronically and there have not been any problems to date that i have been aware of.

Also another feature that i thought could benifit the Mont next year is a clock counting down the 24 hours near the transition area (another thing that they use at Koralbyn). This helps to limit the amount of time that you spend waiting in the transition area as you have a good idea of when the rider in your team left before. If you wear a watch this probably doesnt bother you but i am adverse to wearing a watch when riding/racing.........

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also another feature that i thought could benifit the Mont next year is a clock counting down the 24 hours near the transition area (another thing that they use at Koralbyn). This helps to limit the amount of time that you spend waiting in the transition area as you have a good idea of when the rider in your team left before. If you wear a watch this probably doesnt bother you but i am adverse to wearing a watch when riding/racing.........
That's a really good idea. Another useful part of it for me is that you don't know if your watch is on the same time as the race clock, so trying to figure out if you will get that last lap in or not can be an inexact science.

F

fishboy2807

Yeah, that'd be tops. I never know when I get in after a lap.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
With all the RFID timing, maybe they could put a timing point a couple of km from the transition hooked up to those alarm thingies you get in pubs to let you know your surf & turf is ready. The alarm would go off when your team rider crosses the timing point and the alarm would go off, that way you wouldn't have to get out of your sleeping bag until just before you needed to get to transition.