Mt Buller - All you need to know

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Place to Stay

Hey all , could anyone be able to tell me if there is cheep < geto >accommodation at Mt Bulla this year . Ive goggled spurs but havent come up with much . Any advice and price would be good .. Thanks Damo

indica

Serial flasher
If I were to take a 'non riding' friend up, stick him on a stinky with armour and send him down abom would that make me a bad person? He can ride a bike, but hasnt done any proper MTB before.
It'd be cool.
When I was there last year, there were two spaz girls with a guide and all hired stuff, going very slow but having a giggle.

Abom is fine, bumpy, but rideable by anyone .

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Sorry to here that isaac.Its unfortunate that through grollo inc over extending itself in other departments i.e city construction and offshore investments that buller has to bear the brunt of its poor investment stratagies.
Hear hear!!!!!!!

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well just got home n showered from buller.....verdict.....awesome! hadn't been in 2 years i think and it was still awesome....fair dusty and a bit loose in some spots but nice nonetheless....not much has changed but still good

Should be a good summer of Buller riding

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Sick! anyone hit up the XC trails on Corny Hill etc? if so, how are they looking now they have been completed? home trail bed in nicely I bet?:)

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
great posts and usefull info throughout this thread, it alone have tempted me to go, but being a 'bulla virgin, thers some things that needs clarifying...I can't find spurs accom. (edit: what he said ^^)on the Mt. Bulla website? Has it changed overship and as a result name change?

And this "Mt. Stirling" that was spoken about in here as a long free flowing descent...is this a so named track at bulla, or was it just in reference to possible tracks AT mount stirling?

How long is the drive to Bulla from Melbourne? I did the trip to Hotham and Falls during the ski season, however I know Bulla would be closer, just to help with planning;)

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
great posts and usefull info throughout this thread, it alone have tempted me to go, but being a 'bulla virgin, thers some things that needs clarifying...I can't find spurs accom. (edit: what he said ^^)on the Mt. Bulla website? Has it changed overship and as a result name change?

And this "Mt. Stirling" that was spoken about in here as a long free flowing descent...is this a so named track at bulla, or was it just in reference to possible tracks AT mount stirling?

How long is the drive to Bulla from Melbourne? I did the trip to Hotham and Falls during the ski season, however I know Bulla would be closer, just to help with planning;)
Not sure that Spurs has a website.

Mt. Stirling is seperate mountain to Buller which is next to it.

3 hours from eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Sorry couldnt answer all yours questions but hope that helps

alexdh

Squid
It'd be cool.
When I was there last year, there were two spaz girls with a guide and all hired stuff, going very slow but having a giggle.

Abom is fine, bumpy, but rideable by anyone .
My father, brother and I rode Abom fine and we are all beginner downhillers (my dad is 49 and hasn't ridden a bike in uhh... ages :p) was good fun infact my brother was more afraid of the chairlift then riding the trails haha. By the way I recommend the local bike shop in town they do great guided tours and bike hires aswell they hire out GT DHis and the tour helped us out alot.

Well worth the trip its great riding up there

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How many runs can one get in going flat stick 10-4 whilst the lifts run with mininmal lunch :p?
If you're fit and can ride well 20+. 14 - 16 is a pretty solid normal day on the bike and I've ridden with people that couldn't push out more than 10...

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How many runs can one get in going flat stick 10-4 whilst the lifts run with mininmal lunch :p?
Depends how fit you are but also whether you ride more Abom or International. Abom is super full of braking bumps and is so tough on the hands. That track wears you down more...

Z100

Likes Bikes
Depends how fit you are but also whether you ride more Abom or International. Abom is super full of braking bumps and is so tough on the hands. That track wears you down more...
I will second that, spent the Saturday riding Abom last weekend and it really does put a fair amount of strain on the hands. Great fun still!

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just letting everyone know not to plan a trip to Buller on the 9th and 10th of January at this stage. (Unless you want to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds!)
Does this still mean there's no riding on the mountain this weekend?

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can still go up and ride this weekend but friday and saturday will be very busy in and around the village.
Good, one thing with Buller is that it can be pretty dead once you finish riding. Nice to be around with a bit of atmosphere.

domtigani

Likes Dirt
good post, me and my mate are interested in going to bulla sometime soon and this information is really helpful, thanks.

Boofa

Likes Bikes
I Can't believe this Thread is still going strong.
It prob needs a good update...Jack Jack Attack...

Many of you may already know that Mt Buller is coming up on the 30th, 31st Jan and 1st of Feb 2009. It is shaping up to be one of the biggest races on the race calendar, and there are some rumours that a couple of the biggest names are going to be there to show everyone how to ride Buller Fast.

This year the Downhill and XC will be running over the weekend, the XC incorporating some of Glen Jacobs (Bike track building extraordinaire) tracks, with flowing single tracks, fire road climbs and some of the best and freshest tracks in Australia. Whilst the DH, the Beloved International is ripe and ready for Racing.
Remember the race week will be open to riding too, with Chairlift tickets available at a cheaper price for the Race Week, get up there and have a punt, see how you go and decide if your going to race: Remember, racing is just riding with a time, there is no pressure from anyone at any National to push the limits, you just do what you can do and be courteous on the Track to those both Faster and slower than you.

Check out the latest information about Buller at http://mtbuller.com.au/summer/month_event_full.aspx?EventId=4699

Get in more riding than is healthy in the most beautiful and exciting race venue in Australia.
Don't forget to take your camera and get a photo with a couple of the best riders in the world.

Peace out

Ash

http://yarravalleycycle.com