Mt Buller - All you need to know

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where's the fun and mountain bike adrenaline rush without pushing the limits???

Haha PUSH THE LIMITS!...........but don't kill yourself in the process.... haha

Can't wait to get back up to buller for a good sesh in the next week or so...just need the new car so i can get there!

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Depends how fit you are but also whether you ride more Abom or International. Abom is super full of braking bumps and is so tough on the hands. That track wears you down more...
Not wrong there - first crack at Mt Buller's Downhill last Saturday morning - constant rubbing removed a large chunk skin just under my wedding ring.

Had a ball otherwise.

Big thanx to Arron and Altitude Sports for renting me a Giant DH0 (sweet bike) and Martin from Shep for taking the time to show me the ropes.

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
hi guys,
great post and the info is great for the unknowing, just a little info from us guys at the bottom . a few of you will know of the klingsbourne trail and river spur trail 7.5 and 9km trails leading to the bottom of mt buller, well we are running a shuttle to buller summit on saturdays and sundays 3 times a day check the site for some more info, google mirimbah
again great info and enjoy the riding up there and maybe well see you down here

Last edited:

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know if the fires have cut off access to Buller from Melbourne?

My mate and I were going to head up next weekend from Friday til Sunday but wouldn't want to hit the Yarra Valley only to be turned back.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you heading up this weekend (14th and 15th) or the following one? We're heading up the following one, but yeah, we'll keep an eye out.

My mate is riding a green RMX and i'm on a black Atomik.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
Oh right, yeah Im going up this weekend - read your last post wrong.
I actually just spoke to the blokes at Altitude and they said lifts will be going at this stage for this weekend.

Will have to drive up the Hume though and turn right when you hit Seymour. I think thats probably the fastest way to get there anyways

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, I usually head up towards ringwood, then up through kinglake and yea... but i'm pretty sure the road through there will be closed... I'll check again closer to the date.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NoogiE, it was good to accidentally bump into you today. Give us a call when you get back from Canadia (lucky bastard) and we'll meet up for some rides.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got any current info on good places to stay, for under $75/night per person?

My mate and I will be heading up on Friday and back Sunday and i've been searching for places, but so many are closed over summer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey WynterPlace,

Just for your information, we stayed at Buller backpackers the first time we went up this season. While it was ok in terms of bedding, it had no communal area like there has been in previous years at Spurs. That was a major disappointment for us and put us off staying there. Last time we went, we stayed at Arlberg. If I recall correctly it was $150 for a room with a double bed, single bed, bunk bed and a TV so if you have more than two of you (there were 3 of us) you'll get a good deal.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah we looked at a few at that price, but my mate was wanting a really cheap weekend. Hopefully he'll see it the same way you do after this weekend.

I didn't think you could stay at spurs? I thought it was just a restaurant/cafe/bar. I can't find any info online about it.

Communal area doesn't worry us too much anyway, that's what the pub is for!

Last edited:

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah we looked at a few at that price, but my mate was wanting a really cheap weekend. Hopefully he'll see it the same way you do after this weekend.

I didn't think you could stay at spurs? I thought it was just a restaurant/cafe/bar. I can't find any info online about it.

Communal area doesn't worry us too much anyway, that's what the pub is for!
Spurs was available until this year. There was accommodation downstairs for about $45 including breakfast however the people who run Spurs also run Buller Backpackers, and this year decided to run the backpackers instead. I suspect it's cheaper and easier to run. Hopefully next year they'll re-open Spurs again as I suspect they're not getting the numbers staying there that they did previously.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buller Backpackers wasn't too bad, but you're right, the lack of a communal area was a little bit annoying. I think next time we'll spend the extra money and stay in an apartment.

but for $35/pp/per night it's not bad.

andy meagher

Likes Dirt
mt buller interschoole

hey mate

just wondering if enyone new if there was manny entrys for mount buller interschools im going up and so is my school team and hoping for a good amount of dhers and some good compitition

cheers
pm me any info

benannear

Likes Bikes
Accom @ Mt Buller

Check out Ski Lib for great Accom this Summer season at Mt Buller.
Huge communal living area, great rooms and prices. There is some talk of kitchen renovations in the next few weeks which may affect when they can take you.
Give Vanessa a call on 0422 059 769, and see what is available.

10SuthAH

Likes Bikes
interschools

Me and my school team should be going up for the interschools. Should be a fun weekend. (pity it clashes with baw baw. oh well).

bryce_music

Likes Bikes
Hey,
I'm racing Buller this weekend. This will be my first race. I have accommodation organized.
I am just wondering how much it will cost me for the weekend of racing. I need everything (raceplate and all the membership sourta stuff)
Thank's