Mt Buller - All you need to know

Beej1

Bike Hire

Don't spose anyone knows what times the bike shop (Altitude yeah?) is open during the week? I rang there on Monday and spoke to a guy about bike hire for this weekend, and couldn't get back to him before he shut at 4pm that day with numbers. Now there's no answer when I try calling (yesterday/today).

Cheers.

benannear

Likes Bikes
Shop opening hours at Mt. Buller

Just a quick one.
Altitude at Mt. Buller will be open on weekends only as we lead into Easter.
If you have any bike enquiries mid-week please email to benannear@groset.com or call my mobile 0424453789 and I will do my best to help out.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Ben @ Altitude

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
i went there to try downhilling probably not the best place to start as i live 10mins from stromlo.. which is a yawn-fest on my hardtail! i didn't end up doing any downhill but when i went there, there was no-one there like one some rich family who hired a bike for their 8yr old or something. anyway we saw this old guy and he told us to go more up the mountain... away from all the tracks... that when i started to get suspisous. why wasn't anyone up there??? it was weird

PS i did ride down the road up and that was amazing especially because my braked were really crapppy at the time! :D

can't get enough of that wonderful DUFF!

Last edited:

Lube

Likes Dirt
i went there to try downhilling probably not the best place to start as i live 10mins from stromlo.. which is a yawn-fest on my hardtail! i didn't end up doing any downhill but when i went there, there was no-one there like one some rich family who hired a bike for their 8yr old or something. anyway we saw this old guy and he told us to go more up the mountain... away from all the tracks... that when i started to get suspisous. why wasn't anyone up there??? it was weird

PS i did ride down the road up and that was amazing especially because my braked were really crapppy at the time! :D

can't get enough of that wonderful DUFF!
You need to Settle.The.Shit.Down on the Monster Energy stuff man.

Are you serious?

Seriously?

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Here's the latest info that I've been emailed about the 2010 operations at Buller. The basic details seem to be:

The trail maintenance and upgrade program is scheduled to commence in November and recommence in February. PLEASE GET UP THERE AND HELP!!!

Day passes are $51
Season passes are $299

Lifts are open 10am to 4pm every day from December 26th – January 31st. There's no mention of anything after that.

Attachments

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With a ski season like Buller is having this year, they should really be looking at expanding their summer season... Ditch the winter, build trails, a park area and riders will come.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
With a ski season like Buller is having this year, they should really be looking at expanding their summer season... Ditch the winter, build trails, a park area and riders will come.
Convince BSL of that and you'll be considered the provider of miracles. Atleast RBM are onto it with the XC trails, most mountain bike users are the recreational families and people with $500- $1.5k bikes. The "extreme" side of things is a very small fraction of the park pie say to speak. Developing the tracks which will be bring the larger demographics plays an important part in developing Mt Buller as a future MTB mecca.

Maybe when it's running successfully BSL may throw some money at it and consider running a more considerable summer program for the gravity fed riders amongst us.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
I used to think like that, and it may be right, but I also have an alternative angle.. that average Joe with their 500 - 1500 dollar bike might be reasonably happy to ride it anywhere, no real need to do the long haul to a specific location - namely buller here - as they are happy to get out anywhere nice on a nice little cruiser and breathe in some fresh air. On the other hand, although say your dedicated downhillers and freeriders may be a small percentage of folk under the massive umbrella of 'people who ride bikes', they're looking for specific terrain that you generally don't just happen upon. so they are actually the ones who are more likely to give a genre specific area more support, return visits and ultimately moola. Ofcourse all sectors should be catered for but I reckon there are enough numbers in the freeride/dh community to get some pretty good numbers through a spot that pumps some good resources into this field. I guess it's like the snow season, or the beach. Of all the people that visit the snow or play in the snow, and same at the beach(moreso for obvious reasons) probabaly the smaller percentage actually seriously ski/board or surf/lid, but these targetted areas are by far the ones that generate the most revenue for these areas/industries.
I have no idea where all that came from and am now going to bed to stare at the cieling. Peace all.

Heppla

Likes Dirt
I can confirm that Buller will only open from Boxing Day till the end of January.
BSL is calling this a commitment to summer operations, as in they wanted to scrap it all together. It is also due to the chairlift needing an overhaul.
No events are planned either, unless someone else wants to run it and pay BSL for the use of the chairlift.
Cheers.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will miss you Buller.... Well, actually not all that much as I haven't gone there in years! hahaha..

But, I only miss the old Buller when the tracks were new and good. That was a very long time ago now though. There was soo much potential there but it got stale... Years ago...

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, Mount Buller. So much potential, so little delivery. I've been pretty cautious about joining the winge directed at Mount Buller over the years. But this is just so disappointing. Seems to me the only thing Buller now has going for it is the chairlift. The trails are tired (understatement) and now the attitude of management feels a little like a slap in the face to those that have supported the mountain with their patronage over the years, turning a blind eye to the lack of development (this is by no means a critique of the trail workers who have obviously done all they can with little or no budgetary assistance).
I've always had faith that the mountain could be something better and that eventually we'd see that happen. Guess I was foolish.
Thank God for guys like the team at the You Yangs putting is as much work as they have and running their ride days (here's hoping they become more regular - every week?)
Thanks for the memories Buller - you were good...once.

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
Is a real shame to see Buller closing the lift season too early for downhill riding this summer. We are yet to here anything about us getting access to stirling resort for bike shuttles( after a few very favorable meetings of yeah that would be great) so at the moment we plan on running our shuttle back up buller from mirimbah (boxing day till easter) weekends at the moment but will probably run over the whole january period if interest is there. If we get a late go ahead with stirling it will add an extra shuttle into the day but the ride off stirling is worth the four wheel drive trip up there.Heres hoping a few miricles happen and the lifts open longer this summer-...but i dont hold my breath.
can't wait till winter finishes and i can get out of this shop and start some ridin again.

www.mirimbah.com.au

dunndog

Eats Squid
It's ironic too, this restricted opening of the chairs for the biking season.. Last winter, into sept, there was a late snowfall and buller jumped all over it, instantly extending their ski season through to somewhere in oct. very rash and ultimately foolish, as it warmed straight back up and didn't snow again - as any normal person would have predicted - but they had to run the time out as it was announced and must've incurred lossesdue to their own greediness. Then this year, a good dump in early june(I think, could even have been may), and they announce the chairs will fire up early.. And what happens? as any normal person would predict, it was the usual early dump followed up by nothing and they were open, incurring losses, again due to their greediness and small percentage gambling on a very fickle point. Then they turn around and decide to run a single chair for 1 month only for riding in summer, when you can rely on atleast 6 months of the year to turn on good weather for it.. Get behind a sustainable and growing industry Buller, stop backing away from it.. because in a few more years from now the summer may just be the main season offering conditions that are usable. Winters are getting shorter and milder and sorry but man made snow just doesn't cut it..especially when you can go ski 15 meters of annual snowfall in japan plus an international holiday for about the same cost.. Wise up.

benannear

Likes Bikes
Come talk to me at the Bike Buller display at the Worlds..........may take petitions up there to see if we can get any more love out of our dear lift company. See you in Canberra and C'mon Aussies!! Cheers Ben