Mt Buller - All you need to know

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was told definitely yes, the lifts will be open to the public while the Bike Buller festival is open.

I plan on going up that weekend myself to ride the DH tracks.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
A bunch of mates and myself will be up there too. Hoping its not going to be too busy, the brakeburner enduro will be on and Im guessing the guys racing will get precedence on the lift (only fair).

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there last time the brake burner was on and barely noticed them as they were quite spread out. I'm expecting a bigger turnout this year though.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
oh ok then sweet, if were using shuttles can i get to abom or will i have to walk up the runs from the village or is the trails from the village? thanks mb
Mate, just ride down the hill to hell corner and do home trail. You end up at the chairlift and dont have to do one second of walking up hill

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
we've had quiet a few people emailing us about camping in the erea up here for the bike buller festival.
the camping area is down here at mirimbah just as you go through the gate on the right side. no showers but toilets are across the road in the park.
The camping areas will expand next year with two new areas being built also down here at mirimbah unfortunetly nothing in the way of camping on buller and stirling you can camp anywhere howqua gap being the closest place to buller.
www.mirimbah.com.au

dunndog

Eats Squid
Easter?

So I heard somewhere the lifts might be running for easter, can anyone confirm whether this is this right or wrong?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Why not? weather's forecast to be spot on, and the chair is actually part of the course isn't it?
And I called Buller today, they said chairs will be running this weekend but not at Easter.

benannear

Likes Bikes
Chairlift Blues

Don't get your hopes up word on the street the lift may not run at all this weekend.
Yes folks sounds like all hopes of chairlifts running this weekend have been dashed! But I will wait for official announcement from our beloved Lift Company.
What this means for the Bike Buller events I don't know. I am guessing that the 4hr Brake Burner will be replaced with the "Super D" of last year and for the end of the 50k XC we will all enjoy the final 1500m ride all the way to the Village. OUCH!!
But this is just me taking a stab in the dark.
Have just checked the BIKE BULLER website and no official news as such.
What an embarassing and disapointing outcome.
Oh and if this news is true then no lifts for Easter as well.

But to get the "real deal" why not call the lift company and see what they say???

Chucker1.0

Likes Bikes
It has been confirmed (by a very reliable source on the mountain) the Lifts will NOT BE RUNNING for the rest of the year due to a Cable fault.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More info about the chairlifts
http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Detail/Summer/Mountain2/Latest-News2/76
As part of the comprehensive annual lift inspection and maintenance program at Mt Buller this summer a recent examination of the Horse Hill Chairlift revealed the haul rope required replacement. The installation of a new haul rope will be carried out in the coming weeks in readiness for the opening of the ski season on the Queens Birthday in June.

For this reason the Horse Hill Chairlift is unavailable for mountain biking and sightseeing passengers during the Easter holiday, however the Holden Express Chairlift will be operating on both Easter Saturday and Sunday between 10am - 2pm to carry sightseers up and down the mountain.

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
i have spoken to the resort this afternoon and at 4pm the plan was to run the super d as last year but this year all the way to mirimbah thats 12-13kms of trail depending on which way they send you down( new section of trail was cut which takes out most of the uphill section) hopr the river drops a little by the weekend was waist deep for a few riders using our shuttle on monday.
we are running our shuttle as usual this weekend but were thinking of running friday afternoon till dark if people are interested in getting some time on the trail before race time. but only if people are interested. let us know if you guys are interested in it running. and we can work out some times to start do laps
www.mirimbah.com.au

dunndog

Eats Squid
I called the resort a couple days ago about easter, they said no chairs for easter but will be running this weekind. No mention of this cable issue then! Great timing - october, november, december are good months to inspect infrastructure too buller, that way you could hopefully have things right for a bit of a riding season January through to May?
I know it's due to essential maintenance, but one way or another Buller just doesn't seem to be willing/able to firmly get behind mountain biking. For all the potential it really is a supremely poor effort. And the work of the trail crews goes to waste, who could blame them if they chucked it in.
Looking forward to ski season at Hotham this year.

Last edited:

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
I call the lift company yesterday and spoke to a lady, she wasnt sure but asked someone else and they said it WILL be running. So now i seriously have no idea what to believe.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I call the lift company yesterday and spoke to a lady, she wasnt sure but asked someone else and they said it WILL be running. So now i seriously have no idea what to believe.
Do you really want to ride a chair lift with a haul cable fault?:rolleyes: I say fix the bloody thing, throw this season out the window and start freakin embracing the 2 wheeled patrons by providing a longer season, fairer prices and for fark sake, some damn decent and new runs!

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, pity there is no straight answer here... Yes no, yes no.....
It's pretty far to drive only to be told once you arrive that the lifts arent running. Hopefully they are running though.

The article does say "Will not be running over easter" due to the fault. I would guess that if it is unsafe for the easter weekend then it will be unsafe for this weekend too.. But, who knows. It seems that Buller don't even know. hahaha