National 24 solo champs in 2011?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Inner North Dad's Ride - Represent!
Dad's ride (including occasional attendees) all the way down to 7th place in SS male, no less!

My fingers aren't working anymore. Well done to everyone, especially Ed, who is a catastrophe, but has more drive and determination than anyone I've ever watched race before.

- Joel

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Yes, the C-Town Inner North SS Massif is on track for global domination. I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't end up pushing the last few laps to try and win your age category, Joel.

Bellcha's acceleration at around 7-30am was the most frightening thing I've ever seen.

Congrats to Stu on a huge ride for 2nd, and pulling out a phenomenal last lap. Well done sir!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Ahh, Spoonie, I should have known you'd chip in with a comprehensive history of the exploits of 'the English'... nice wrap!
Only 'cause I raced in or supported him in those races :) was funny, '07 bellie got up on the podium and said "I'm just an ordinary guy, I'm not a professional rider, I mean I'm a full time bike courier but yeah..." I remember having a wee chuckle :) '08 Clackers and English were one of the few lapping me in the middle of the night so I got to see that race first hand. Every now and then Dan and Fenner came through, and I was playing Tag with the lead single speeder (positron on here I think) but yeah... Fun race! even if it did land me with a 3 month recovery :)

Sigh... I should be careful. I'll wind up on an entry list going "w.t.f have I just done..." :)

Hope everyone had fun this year! looks like a small committed bunch again!

Cheers
Spoonie

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Congrats to Stu on a huge ride for 2nd, and pulling out a phenomenal last lap. Well done sir!
Congrats all 'round. Thanks for a great race. I knew there was something left for the last lap, wasn't sure if you had just as much, almost got a crook neck looking over my shoulder.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Quick bit of further info on Jess for those interested.
Jess didn't "crack" at 1am as reported... she actually started slowing down at about 7pm.
Jess struggled with motivation, concentration and desire for quite a number of laps whilst Jo ate into her lead. This culminated in that during her last lap, she had 3 crashes, which for those that know Jess is very unusual.
Then after some soul searching she decided to end her Solo career at 3.48am.
In the lead up to this event, we both had our doubts about Jess' ability, and desire to do another 24 after the 2010 World champs and perhaps in hindsight it was the wrong decision.
Regardless, Jo Wall was awesome and I think if you speak with her she will tell you that she has found a new respect for this crazy sport we all love.
Jess is looking forward to new challenges and I'm looking forward to supporting her in them.
Jess only ever knew how to race these things flat out... which is why when she found she no longer had the desire to do that... she stopped. Just continuing to roll around to perhaps claim a podium wouldn't have been right. When she told me she wouldn't be continuing I knew that the "ride" was over.

There are people who can claim to have "competed" in a 24hr, less can claim they have "completed" a 24hr and only a very small number can claim to have "raced" a 24hr.

Jess raced 11 24 hours, since 2006 and won 7 of them. I would personally like to think that Jess has done a few small things to lift not only the profile of women's 24 hour elite racing but also that of the way 24 hour racing is done, the professionalism of it and the sport in general.

To race a 24 hour requires lots of training and preparation, but even more passion, motivation and desire. It's practically impossible to race at an elite level over 24 hours without those key "MENTAL" ingredients...
I know I will miss supporting Jess and being at these races to cheer on others.

Thanks again to CORC for putting on the Aussie solo champs. Without CORC's efforts Australia wouldn't be the dominate force it is in 24 hour racing.

Cheers

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done to all. Am I mad for thinking I might have a crack at a 24hr solo later this year?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Well done to all. Am I mad for thinking I might have a crack at a 24hr solo later this year?
Hell no! Are you thinking the Sydney or Forrest 24's?

this was the write up after my first serious attempt at a solo 24

http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/?p=13

Oddly, I don't think the experience ever changes no matter how many you do. You just go faster & further... The year I sat in the pits for some very fast (and not so fast) riders, I don't think it's any different for them either! If you never race one, I would encourage you to support someone as you really get the feeling you're part of their race! it's no easy gig and there's definitely a comradre among crews as you share coffee, stories and chat shivvering under a doona.

You may never do something as hard in life again, but at least you can look back and say with a smile "I've just done something incredilbe!"

IMHO, anyone with enough training, preperation and dedication can finish a 24... not sure many are willing ;) I perhaps look back on it all with a certain romance, but I can say having spent time on both sides of the fence, some of the most incredible experiences of my life have been at solo 24's!

There's only one way to find out though ;) Good luck!

Cheers
Spoonie

Delmar

Likes Dirt
... after some soul searching she decided to end her Solo career at 3.48am.
In the lead up to this event, we both had our doubts about Jess' ability, and desire to do another 24 after the 2010 World champs and perhaps in hindsight it was the wrong decision.
Jess only ever knew how to race these things flat out... which is why when she found she no longer had the desire to do that... she stopped. Just continuing to roll around to perhaps claim a podium wouldn't have been right. When she told me she wouldn't be continuing I knew that the "ride" was over.

There are people who can claim to have "competed" in a 24hr, less can claim they have "completed" a 24hr and only a very small number can claim to have "raced" a 24hr.

Jess raced 11 24 hours, since 2006 and won 7 of them. I would personally like to think that Jess has done a few small things to lift not only the profile of women's 24 hour elite racing but also that of the way 24 hour racing is done, the professionalism of it and the sport in general.

To race a 24 hour requires lots of training and preparation, but even more passion, motivation and desire. It's practically impossible to race at an elite level over 24 hours without those key "MENTAL" ingredients...
I know I will miss supporting Jess and being at these races to cheer on others.
As one who I suspect will never have the mental ingredients (and prob not the engine either...), let me say I don't think you'd be alone in thinking Jess has done a 'few small things'. So, a significant announcement here.

All the best to Jess and you in whatever riding direction you take.

JessD

Likes Dirt
Solo Nats

Hi All
Just a quick note from self to all you crazy 24hr racers, riders, supporters and followers...
Its been a blast, and there is a sense of loss right now but since winning the world champs in 2010 its been tough getting any true passion back to turn up to another 24hr race.
When the Nats came around it was just a process, sense of obligation and almost the final chance to see for sure if there was any passion left to race these things.
My close friends know that all of October, November, December and most of January I was in a Post Worlds Win depression. Sounds weird, like Jess you just won, what is there to be depressed about? But I had reached my goal and was exhausted, mentally drained and not one bit excited about racing another 24hr.
It was a relief when there was no news of the next 2011 World champs, no expectations and time to move on.
So when the start horn went on Saturday morning, I just turned the pedals and did my thing. But when Jo fought back and I started to tire, there was no passion to persist. Crashes occured and focus was lost.
I just did not want to continue and felt it was time for me to hand over the title to the girls who really wanted it.
Why just ride around and finish 2nd or 3rd? There were girls out on course who REALLY REALLY wanted it, had trained and worked their butts off to be there and I was not going to deny them of this.
As hard as it was to sit back and watch, it was also a pleasure to see so much passion out there from a whole bunch of new chicks(Jo and Bree) as well as those like Annie, Claire and Di fight it out for podiums.
I hope that I have had a small input into the great field of solo 24hr women out there on the weekend. You girls deserve it all and I hope you have found new inner strength that you never knew you had.
So now its my turn to exit 24hr solo and its not over for me...not sure what is going on yet, but its time to get some fun back, race hard - yes...but no more solo 24hrs.
Lucky Norm - he can now relax a little.
Thank you all so much for the time of my life.
Jess X

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
I'll miss you Jess, and I'll probably miss Normie more cause he's special.
Mainly for having a bizzare conversation with him at the 2009 Kona in the dark, whilst reinacting a band meeting scene from The Flight of the Concords, after that we just clicked :)

Last edited:

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
You've been Zimmer'd

Just remember 25 laps is the cut off for the Zimmering, other wise you've been Zimmer'd.
(this relates to a beery promise made at a COGS afternoon lunch yesterday, no offence intended)

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
All the best to Jess and you in whatever riding direction you take.
What he said.
It was a story I read on you Jess that finally got me to pull the trigger on my first 24hr solo dig a couple of years ago.

On another note, after reading through this thread, is it true that the Jeebus' Padawan's power's are growing exponentially and it may be he who realises the dreams of the SS faithfull everywhere, overall victory! Maybe he was the Messiah all along?

P.S. Congrats to all the finisher's and podium placers.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On another note, after reading through this thread, is it true that the Jeebus' Padawan's power's are growing exponentially and it may be he who realises the dreams of the SS faithfull everywhere, overall victory! Maybe he was the Messiah all along?
Brett is a bit tall to play Yoda to Ed's Luke...

Although, if a prophecy from Aust MTB Monthly article from last year comes true and Brett picks up a rear deraileur, he would make a suitable Annakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Tough tough race... like a lot of others I suffered with the 'why am I doing this again?' syndrome and was trying to think of acceptable reasons to pull out for ummm about the first 11 hours or so.

I eventually got into a bit of a rhythm but then crashed out at around 3am... (just when I had _almost_ started to have fun). Despite comments the morning after I'm probably not quite ready to pull the pin just yet but I understand a comment that was made to me a little while ago that we only have a finite number of 24hr races in us... I'm not sure what my number is yet but know that I do have one!

Once again though, the best event of the year - the feeling at this race is like no other in the country.

My bloggage from the event is here

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
realises the dreams of the SS faithfull everywhere, overall victory!
I'd be keeping a very close eye on the results from the Patterson 24hr, where Jebus will thrown down righteous punishment on the gearies.

Some more highlights:
Erin Zimmer winning the women's SS and having a great time all race.
Breony Webb - first u/25 girl in years, and 3rd overall in her first race, impressive!
Andrew Hall holding everyone up on the first lap rockgarden.