New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
From the article on news.com.au

"Riding dangerously: from $71 to $425."

Who decides what is dangerous? It seems insane to give somebody a $425 fine when "riding dangerously" is a matter of someone's opinion.

These fines have me fuming and I'm from Melbourne.

In Qld, the requirement is for a bell, horn or similar warning device in working order. I have a horn app on my phone and my phone is mounted on my handlebars for Strava. If police ever stop me I can quickly change apps and play my horn for them.

I can't find anything that requires use of the bell, horn or warning device.

stirk

Burner
After seeing two motorcycle cops lurking on the footpath right along side the cycle path on Liverpool st I saw a guy on a BMX not wearing a helmet, riding on the footpath and the bike was without a Bell.

I told him how much that would cost him now in fines and he said "yeah from today right" and rode off givng no fucks. He probably already knows how to outrun the police!

stirk

Burner
i thought it was ok to go on the footpaths, or was that with kids only?
Footpaths
Children under 12 years of age can ride on a footpath. An adult rider who is supervising a cyclist under 12 may also ride with the young cyclist on the footpath. Cyclists are allowed to ride on footpaths where indicated by signs

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Footpaths
Children under 12 years of age can ride on a footpath. An adult rider who is supervising a cyclist under 12 may also ride with the young cyclist on the footpath. Cyclists are allowed to ride on footpaths where indicated by signs
They make it confusing by painting some footpaths with no bike stencils, that may make the average person think you can ride on all the other footpaths.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Footpaths
State by state thing. In SA anyone is allowed to ride on the footpath now.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Footpaths
and if you are over 12 and under 18 - eg kid riding with little brother, you are not allowed on the footpath as you don't qualify as the supervising adult. yes our political process is that stupid.

seems they are also taking exception to riders taking the road through Pyrmont then joining the bike path at the end. I think in a lot of cases the police simply don't know the rules about those cycleways and are making it up, or basically doing speculative invoicing and assuming no one will take the time to challenge them in court.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
NO safety has changed for the cyclist in these laws.
But the fines for doing something much less dangerous than if it were done in a car are massive.
The only thing that changes in the safety issue is that the road ragers (cyclist haters) will be much worse than ever and the good drivers of which most are don't need to change. So no gain only loss for the cyclist. That is the reality of it.

Common Sense tells a driver of which 93% of cyclists are, that AT LEAST a metre is needed, but bogans will not change one bit.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
NO safety has changed for the cyclist in these laws.
But the fines for doing something much less dangerous than if it were done in a car are massive.
The only thing that changes in the safety issue is that the road ragers (cyclist haters) will be much worse than ever and the good drivers of which most are don't need to change. So no gain only loss for the cyclist. That is the reality of it.

Common Sense tells a driver of which 93% of cyclists are, that AT LEAST a metre is needed, but bogans will not change one bit.
So, we aren't the only people on the fucking planet, the laws are supposed to make it safer for everyone. Bike riders being cunts and running red lights is dangerous for drivers and pedestrians too.

Fit a bell, don't be a dick and you won't be fined, if you think it still sucks move to North Korea.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Bike riders being cunts and running red lights is dangerous for drivers and pedestrians too.

Fit a bell, don't be a dick and you won't be fined, if you think it still sucks move to North Korea.
Yeah its exactly the same as a car running a red. Never mind that it actually might help congestion.

And yup, north korea sucks. So we can let this country go to shit too cause fuck it, we aren't at north koreas level yet! Just bend over people, it's fisting time. But its ok, we use lube! North korea, no lube, so stop complaining.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
So, if you are riding on the road, what use is a bell?

Is a car going to hear the bell at all through closed Windows? I'm not putting a bell on my bike...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We may not be north Korea, but we are certainly venturing into a brave new world...one of foolish ignorance and stupidity, where our selfishness and lethargy is eroding individual freedom.

This has never been my experience. I have a bell on my commuter bike which covers a lot of bike paths. Consistently pedestrians step to the left and often accompanied by a friendly "thankyou" or a wave. I think a lot of the confusion arises if you ring your bell too late, when you're right on top of the pedestrian, causing a minor panic. If you ring from a suitable distance you get a much better response, you have time to ring again if needed, and people actually get out of your way making your ride more enjoyable.
Well try a cycleway in Newcastle...if the kids don't hit you with rocks (or their parents flog you for telling their kids off for throwing rocks at you), the fat as fat 3 lane wide fat cunts waddling along the shared pathway 3 a brest drinking shakes and eating ice cream manage to knock you off with their hurled abuse filled with self hatred, wild off leash dogs or children biting your legs or jamming in your spokes, the overlay focused runners with ear buds in swaying side to side wing you, or any of the many other threats of violence against cyclists don't knock you off then you're in with a good chance of being knocked down by some fucktard on a bike that is rushing to catch the peloton. That is without the constant threat of swerving cars, eggs, various canned substances, or glass.

People around here just don't like cyclists. When (yes on well signed shared paths) i cop a "why aren't you on the road?" I like to slow right down and let them know that people like them are the reason.

State by state thing. In SA anyone is allowed to ride on the footpath now.
This is the case in a lot of places with a more enlightened approach to traffic flow and safety. Downtown Tokyo just recently...pedestrians were like flies on a fresh turd. Cyclists weaving through them and nobody getting upset. I barely heard a bell either! Mainly the squeaky crusty groan of the not so well maintained bike. And do you think I saw a helmet? Nope! That said I like helmets.

Hah, this from the state that brought you Nimbin.
NSW only has 3 places the government cares for...

AIUI the ID thing didn't get presented to parliament.
Are you sure? As someone with no ID other than a passport, and regularly hassled by the cops for living I'd like to more...