New XT.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I didn't get a cover plate and it didn't look like you could remove the window to me. I hate it.... makes me look like a numpty (even more so). I will replace it with an I-Spec as soon as they are available though.
Bugger, looks like we're all donning the numpty cloak for a while then.

So, if I don't want the indicator but want to bar mount, what's my best option?

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I didn't get a cover plate and it didn't look like you could remove the window to me. I hate it.... makes me look like a numpty (even more so). I will replace it with an I-Spec as soon as they are available though.
Yep, no cover plate for me either... and my sitting position vs. the brake and shifter angle, I can barely see the indicator anyway.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
It's removable, but if not supplied with the cover plate there's no real point.
Hot glue gun and some plastic milk bottles.... there's your crafternoon sorted... Once you're done prototyping, get out a black rattle can...

As good as a bought one

Minlak

custom titis
Bugger, looks like we're all donning the numpty cloak for a while then.

So, if I don't want the indicator but want to bar mount, what's my best option?
The one you're buying say this:
View attachment 317901
Yep so hoping Bike24 is right....
If it turns out the indicator isnt removable from the xt bar mount, xtr bar mount shifter seems like the way to go.

View attachment 317905
Double the cabbages.
Well, that's poor form. He he. You're all numpties.
Yep, no cover plate for me either... and my sitting position vs. the brake and shifter angle, I can barely see the indicator anyway.
It's removable, but if not supplied with the cover plate there's no real point.
To clarify.... Yes it looks 100% removable. No I did not get a cover. If you took the viewer off there would be a cover needed that I didn't get.

Boom King

Hot glue gun and some plastic milk bottles.... there's your crafternoon sorted... Once you're done prototyping, get out a black rattle can...

As good as a bought one
Send the prototype off to Ideate to 3D print.

Boom King

Yes.

You could, but a better option is to chuck it on the small sprocket & pull sufficient tension so there's about a finger thickness clearance between the top jockey wheel & the lower span of chain (in this gear the derailleur cage sits basically horizontal). Given this method ensures sufficient length for multiple chainrings, it will allow you to play with chainring sizes and have enough to allow for suspension influence too.

DO NOT use the big sprocket/bypass derailleur + two links method if you're even remotely contemplating adding a bigger sprocket at either end of the system!!!! That method sets the chain for the biggest you currently have and makes no allowance for upward alteration.
When using this method, how do you ensure correct B screw setting?

Boom King

To clarify.... Yes it looks 100% removable. No I did not get a cover. If you took the viewer off there would be a cover needed that I didn't get.
Heads up!

A quick email to Shimano and they tell me that the cover plate is inside the indicator cover.

Ez or Minlak, you need to check this out.

You're welcome.

P.S. Not quite sure how this is possible given the cover plate goes over the hole that is there for the indicator needle.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Heads up!

A quick email to Shimano and they tell me that the cover plate is inside the indicator cover.

You're welcome.
That shit will be coming off tonight if that's the case. It would be nice if for once we got a decent user manual or instructions of some kind.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You could, but a better option is to chuck it on the small sprocket & pull sufficient tension so there's about a finger thickness clearance between the top jockey wheel & the lower span of chain (in this gear the derailleur cage sits basically horizontal). Given this method ensures sufficient length for multiple chainrings, it will allow you to play with chainring sizes and have enough to allow for suspension influence too.

DO NOT use the big sprocket/bypass derailleur + two links method if you're even remotely contemplating adding a bigger sprocket at either end of the system!!!! That method sets the chain for the biggest you currently have and makes no allowance for upward alteration.
When using this method, how do you ensure correct B screw setting?
Same way you would with any other method. Run through the gears. If it mashes teeth, wind the screw in. If there's a bit much of a gap, wind it out.

If anything, the offset position of the upper jockey wheel axis makes B-tension setting much easier and more effective in the high gear (slack derailleur) position. 9 & 10-sp Shadow derailleurs have the upper jockey wheel bolting into the cage pivot, so derailleur angle doesn't alter clearance. M8000/9000 derailleurs have the upper jockey wheel offset, so when the derailleur is in its resting (high gear) position, the pulley is above the cage pivot. As you go through the cassette & chain tension pulls the cage forward, the pulley rotates back and down around the cage pivot, increasing clearance as it goes

Last edited:

Boom King

Same way you would with any other method. Run through the gears. If it mashes teeth, wind the screw in. If there's a bit much of a gap, wind it out.

If anything, the offset position of the upper jockey wheel axis makes B-tension setting much easier and effective in the high gear (slack derailleur) position. 9 & 10-sp Shadow derailleurs have the upper jockey wheel bolting into the cage pivot, so derailleur angle doesn't alter clearance. M8000/9000 derailleurs have the upper jockey wheel offset, so when the derailleur is in its resting (high gear) position, the pulley is above the cage pivot. As you go through the cassette & chain tension pulls the cage forward, the pulley rotates back and down around the cage pivot, increasing clearance as it goes
Does the B screw not affect chain tension in the highest gear?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Heads up!

You're welcome.

P.S. Not quite sure how this is possible given the cover plate goes over the hole that is there for the indicator needle.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/19/5e8350ef034c8a566e237f865542308b.jpg
Hrm I removed the indicator earlier this afternoon and saw nothing of the sort... unless I'm retarded. It looked like a single piece to me.
I'll take another look when I get home from work in about an hour.

Boom King

Hrm I removed the indicator earlier this afternoon and saw nothing of the sort... unless I'm retarded. It looked like a single piece to me.
I'll take another look when I get home from work in about an hour.
Hold the press!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It has a very minor effect, because winding the screw in straightens the derailleur. It's a secondary thing though; the purpose of the B screw is to adjust clearance between the jockey wheel and cassette. With the chain measuring method I use, because you're setting to the amount of slack the derailleur can handle you end up with some chain length in reserve, which allows considerable room for adjusting things like gear range, angle alteration and the effect of chain growth from the suspension. The big sprocket method actually limits your scope for tuning.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

You're welcome.

It's INSIDE?

[video=youtube;TV3Oncvz_cU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3Oncvz_cU[/video]