New XT.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
It has a very minor effect, because winding the screw in straightens the derailleur. It's a secondary thing though; the purpose of the B screw is to adjust clearance between the jockey wheel and cassette. With the chain measuring method I use, because you're setting to the amount of slack the derailleur can handle you end up with some chain length in reserve, which allows considerable room for adjusting things like gear range, angle alteration and the effect of chain growth from the suspension. The big sprocket method actually limits your scope for tuning.
If one was to use the 'big sprocket method', but add a further 1-2 full links on top of the initial 2, would that accommodate for an extra 2 teeth up front at a later point?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That could be another way to do it. Also note that in the technical specifications "one link" refers to a single pitch length; it may be an inner or an outer link. "Two links" is one of each, ergo a joining link is a single outer link that replaces a standard one.

Short version: my method takes a huge amount of guesswork out of the process.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ride report on XT on SRAM x01 cassette.

Ok, so tangled my xx1 deraileur up in the spokes on Tuesday night - sad face. So won't shift back down the cassette but looks straight(ish), so Wednesday get on the interwebs and try and supply myself a replacement SRAM 11 soeed deraileur. Circa $300 for an x1? Get fucked SRAM.

So go into lbs and he can't even find the GX SRAM deraileur on their list, so he shows me his XT 11 speed deraileur and shifter - for a mere $285 fitted ( expensive game this). I say OK ( my inner Scotsman has conniptions over the $s), and by this morning I have my bike back with a now straight rear wheel, new XT deraileur, new XT shifter mated to a brand new x01 cassette.

First, shifter placement - the XT is really designed to be inboard of the brakes, and fits well after you've ripped the God awful stupid shifter window thingy off ( already removed by lbs). There is no cover so it's not the prettiest thing going around.

Double down shifting on XT has now gone for the index finger and only works for the thumb for the double shift down the cassette - I need to get used to this. The feel is exactly the same as 2015 10 speed - ie it's got that real clear decent amount of effort CLICK to go down the cassette and normal smooth as going up the cassette.

Shift quality - running the SRAM 10-42 cassette, the shifting up and down is flawless and at least as good as the xx1 I had up until Tuesday . When it is better,is the shift between 10 and 12 - on SRAM this is always a compromise - either noisey on one with good shifts, or poor shifts to the 10t and relative quiet. Definite points to the shimano deraileur on this front - a clear winner.

Downside - somewhere about the 36t, there is a hint of that meshing sound on the chain - so it's quieter in the middle of the cassette than the last couple of cogs.

Weights - from what I can work out I've probably added 30grams or so. Mores to the point if I break another deraileur I can buy one without be annaly raped by SRAM - $300 for a 3rd from top tier deraileur at discount retailers is nothing short of ridiculous, compared to $100 or so for a deraileur that is quite possibly better, about 8grams heavier, and looks nicer frankly.

So now have a couple of shifters and a bent deraileur and a fucked cassette to add to my pile of avid brakes. ;)

Ivan

Eats Squid
Thats good info Pharma.

Those SRAM rear dérailleurs are priced to induce a heart attack.

The GX isn't tooooo bad at $135 on CRC, but XT is cheaper.

If it's true that one-up have a 10-45 on a normal cassette, then SRAM are gonna have to drop there prices big time.

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's INSIDE?

[video=youtube;TV3Oncvz_cU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3Oncvz_cU[/video]
Yeah a few generations ago they were a small disc under the indicator clipped in place, very flat, but I didn't think theyve provided them for a while.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yeah a few generations ago they were a small disc under the indicator clipped in place, very flat, but I didn't think theyve provided them for a while.
Yep, Mr Ho is investigating. I have given him the part number so let's see what happens?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

My argument is that their own product description clearly states removable indicator, which implies an alternative is supplied.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
From memory, the covers haven't come with the shifters since the XT 9 speed days. They do have a shimano part number so you will (most probably) have to buy them. I don't think you'll get them for free from Shimano.

Minlak

custom titis
From memory, the covers haven't come with the shifters since the XT 9 speed days. They do have a shimano part number so you will (most probably) have to buy them. I don't think you'll get them for free from Shimano.
That's it I am done with shimano... Giving it away and going to campagnolo for everything.....

On a brighter note the news today has legislation being put in place to drop the GST threshold on imported items. And it seems in most countries a "Parcel Tax" is also levied around $17 on top of the tax for collecting the Tax. Order quick.....

Warp

Likes Dirt
I am not sure. I seem to recall my 10sp shifters came with them... From CRC. But those were the aftermarket ones in the black box, not the OEM stuff in bags (like my Ultegra brakes and rear mech).

I bought a long reach road brake that came in aftermarket boxing and it came with three different length nuts for different brake/fork combo. The ones I got from CRC came in a bag and just one nut that luckily worked with my fork.

So probably aftermarket stuff comes with more goodies and the OEM stuff comes without.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Well I got it all going on the Spitfire!

It does come off the 42 when backpedaling, but not the 37.
I was trying to find my 2mm chain ring spacers to see if they'd make a difference, but they appear to be AWOL.
Doesn't matter, I normally only climb fire roads to get back to the top of the good stuff for the most part.

Shifting is so crisp and clean... I didn't even have to adjust anything other than the upper limit (wouldn't shift to the 42 initially), and the B screw as the top pulley was too close to the 42 for comfort. Lower limit was perfect, and haven't had to touch the barrel adjuster yet.

Shift feel is *way* nicer than the previous XT... and I'm gonna have to say it's even better than the Saint stuff on my Makulu.

Love it!
Trail test tomorrow.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I am not sure. I seem to recall my 10sp shifters came with them... From CRC. But those were the aftermarket ones in the black box, not the OEM stuff in bags (like my Ultegra brakes and rear mech).

I bought a long reach road brake that came in aftermarket boxing and it came with three different length nuts for different brake/fork combo. The ones I got from CRC came in a bag and just one nut that luckily worked with my fork.

So probably aftermarket stuff comes with more goodies and the OEM stuff comes without.
Nah, it's recent - no black out plates on any 2015 on mtbr - mine were a proper Aus delivered retail box - no blanking plates. Obviously someone apt shimano thinks those windows are awesome

Minlak

custom titis
Well I got it all going on the Spitfire!

It does come off the 42 when backpedaling, but not the 37.
I was trying to find my 2mm chain ring spacers to see if they'd make a difference, but they appear to be AWOL.
Doesn't matter, I normally only climb fire roads to get back to the top of the good stuff for the most part.

Shifting is so crisp and clean... I didn't even have to adjust anything other than the upper limit (wouldn't shift to the 42 initially), and the B screw as the top pulley was too close to the 42 for comfort. Lower limit was perfect, and haven't had to touch the barrel adjuster yet.

Shift feel is *way* nicer than the previous XT... and I'm gonna have to say it's even better than the Saint stuff on my Makulu.

Love it!
Trail test tomorrow.
Put it on the Trek Fuel GXP cranks with Works 6mm offset direct mount and I too can confirm that no matter how much I tweaked it if you back pedal it comes off the 42t.

There wouldn't be any situation where I would back pedal in the 42t that I can think of as only slightly back pedal to clear an obstacle.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yeah tech climbs ain't my thing so it won't bother me at all... I'm used to it due to happening on the old 11-36 XT cassette anyway.