Newly Released Bikes General

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I don't know too much about the process that big business bike companies go through, but I'd imagine they place an order at giantmerida hq and the whole thing is assembled at the mega factory and sent to trek storage in a box ready to go. Maybe a QR inspection of a sample at the mega factory. I may be wrong.
Pretty much nailed it

There's a Pinkbike(?) article on the ins and outs of having a carbon bike built for sale

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
"Assembled" indicates I was not correct about it all being done at the factory. But that is better than the loose application of built from a long while back with the NAFTA flouting.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Companies seem to go the round about way saying 'Assembled in the USA' or 'Designed in the USA' but no one shouts from the rooftops saying 'Made in China'. That sticker is usually pretty discrete.

No one really wants to know that they spent a bomb on a bike from the world's capital of cheap labour even it is exactly what happens.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some Taiwanese made frames are almost impossible to ID the country of manufacture on.

I'm not even sure the perceived "made in America" prestige exists anymore, most of the main players of that line aren't American made anymore.

moorey

call me Mia
Companies seem to go the round about way saying 'Assembled in the USA' or 'Designed in the USA' but no one shouts from the rooftops saying 'Made in China'. That sticker is usually pretty discrete.

No one really wants to know that they spent a bomb on a bike from the world's capital of cheap labour even it is exactly what happens.
I’d trust Taiwanese work over American any day.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure Taiwanese or even Chinese labour is that cheap in global terms any more. Polygon bikes made in Indonesia I would think should have a cheaper labour force. My 1994 DiamondBack has a designed in USA and made in Taiwan stickers that are about the same size FWIW.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Taiwanese quality is good but as they are a capitialist democracy then they have the same point of view to find a cheaper source of labour and resources. Extra handy if you also speak the same language too.

The higher end stuff is made there but they have also farmed off stuff to China. If layering CF takes longer than welding then makes sense to get it done in a cheaper per hour place.

moorey

call me Mia
Great looking bike!
~$2900 delivered for a frame, DPX2 shock, headset, axle, and seat clamp.
Sounds reasonable
The spec on the 161 is fantastic. Better than on most $12k Uber bikes. Would absolutely buy one if in the market.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty long wheelbase and CS for intended/expected use? Would be interesting to throw a leg over and see how it feel son the trail.
Seems that it could be another possibility for the 'one bike to rule them all' category