Newly Released Bikes General

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh dear. It’s worse than I thought.

How does a $9k privateer have better spec than a $18k pivot? (I’m not citing/linking, but remember looking and comparing)
Because a Privateer frame is deliberately built as cost effectively as possible - the owners of the company happily admit that. They use off the peg tubing and rudimentary finishing because it's their whole ethos. I'm not saying they're built cheaply, I'm saying they're built as efficiently as possible to keep costs down.

Secondly, you're comparing an alloy frame to a carbon one - the latter is way more labour intensive and difficult to build. So it costs more. A lot more.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Because a Privateer frame is deliberately built as cost effectively as possible - the owners of the company happily admit that. They use off the peg tubing and rudimentary finishing because it's their whole ethos. I'm not saying they're built cheaply, I'm saying they're built as efficiently as possible to keep costs down.

Secondly, you're comparing an alloy frame to a carbon one - the latter is way more labour intensive and difficult to build. So it costs more. A lot more.
O

moorey

call me Mia

Is a privateer frame worth $0 and a pivot $9k?
If not, you’re proving my point?
I’m honestly not here to argue with you, but I don’t honestly think you believe you aren’t paying for a name some times. On top of that, some brands charge a lot more for identical spec upgrades.
Buy what you want. Ride what you want. It’s probably sour grapes my end, but some bike companies are taking the piss.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Is a privateer frame worth $0 and a pivot $9k?
If not, you’re proving my point?
I’m honestly not here to argue with you, but I don’t honestly think you believe you aren’t paying for a name some times. On top of that, some brands charge a lot more for identical spec upgrades.
Buy what you want. Ride what you want. It’s probably sour grapes my end, but some bike companies are taking the piss.
Alright blow the Pivot off I can't be bothered arguing about that one as I barely know anything about it. But I will defend Ibis and anyone else trying to move manufacturing in house. It's laudable. Don't like it don't buy it but belittling them for giving it a go and trying to operate as a sustainable business too.... I just don't get that.

Hope make very little out of the bike frames they manufacture, even at the prices they charge. It's pretty much a "we're doing this to prove we can" flex to advertise their abilities. Ibis would be similar.

moorey

call me Mia
Alright blow the Pivot off I can't be bothered arguing about that one as I barely know anything about it. But I will defend Ibis and anyone else trying to move manufacturing in house. It's laudable. Don't like it don't buy it but belittling them for giving it a go and trying to operate as a sustainable business too.... I just don't get that.

Hope make very little out of the bike frames they manufacture, even at the prices they charge. It's pretty much a "we're doing this to prove we can" flex and to advertise their abilities. Ibis would be similar.
I don’t believe I belittled any bikes, but I might say you are.
Where did I defend moronic Hope bike prices? I love their well priced hubs….I think almost everything else they do is overpriced for what it is. I’ve also never mentioned, or meant Ibis. Last time I looked they were pretty well priced.
Sorry to trigger you man. :(

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Also we're in an environment now where shipping costs are many, many times higher than they were (and are reportedly so out of control they're having an impact on US inflation). Last night I was helping a mate online look at Treks and was blown away at how much even very average spec bikes are now - from a company that would have the clout to buy big and keep costs lower. Bikes cost more now. The only genuinely below average price frames I've seen recently have been Nukeproof.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I don’t believe I belittled any bikes, but I might say you are.
Sorry wasn't aimed directly at you. And for clarification I certainly wasn't having a go at Privateer if that's what came across. The 141 is by all accounts a very, very good bike.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Also we're in an environment now where shipping costs are many, many times higher than they were (and are reportedly so out of control they're having an impact on US inflation). Last night I was helping a mate online look at Treks and was blown away at how much even very average spec bikes are now - from a company that would have the clout to buy big and keep costs lower. Bikes cost more now. The only genuinely below average price frames I've seen recently have been Nukeproof.
They're not alone, but Trek pricing is a bit ridiculous. Starting point for a garden variety Supercaliber is a full $1k more than my wank factor Project One Procaliber

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
The prices go up....and people continue to buy them.
But we could say the same thing about cars, houses, caravans, shoes, and just about anything esle you can purchase.
Put me on a $22k Specialized Sworks Epic and watch me finish in exactly the same place I would on my $3k Specialized Epic.
Don't complain about the prices....just don't pay them.

moorey

call me Mia
The prices go up....and people continue to buy them.
But we could say the same thing about cars, houses, caravans, shoes, and just about anything esle you can purchase.
Put me on a $22k Specialized Sworks Epic and watch me finish in exactly the same place I would on my $3k Specialized Epic.
Don't complain about the prices....just don't pay them.
Are you new to the internet, pops?