Newly Released Bikes General

Scotty T

Walks the walk
3d printing tech is pretty amazing.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-2021-commencal-meta-tr-is-mini-enduro-a-thing.html

New Meta TR looks nice, particularly that new top tube.

It’s always funny to see how bad companies are at resisting the lure of increasing travel with model revisions, even when the point of the bike in the first place was to provide a shorter travel option.
Looks pretty nice - they need to introduce a new "trail" META model because each iteration is making TR more like the AM version..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-2021-commencal-meta-tr-is-mini-enduro-a-thing.html

New Meta TR looks nice, particularly that new top tube.

It’s always funny to see how bad companies are at resisting the lure of increasing travel with model revisions, even when the point of the bike in the first place was to provide a shorter travel option.
More travel mean more awesome though! Sometimes more stiff would be a better option. Unless it's too stiff and you can't micro adjust the steering on trail.

Not enough new standards either

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
In what universe is SX 12 speed better than Deore 11sp?

I'd go for the Origin over the Ride (much nicer colour too) buy a dropper and save for a better fork. Pretty much everything else is the same.

HamboCairns

I see Rockshox have an even cheaper fork for companies to sling on the front (Rockshox 35 Silver). If it replaces the Recon then fine but you know it won't..

HamboCairns

And that's kind of reflected in the industry as a whole these days, designs are all maturing and converging, so it's the finer details that actually sort out the ride qualities, and they're getting much better at realising those smaller details.
Which means more importance on test rides or more meaningful reviews on different terrains and rider types.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I think it's just a maturing of any design. Suspension products are getting more efficient and sophisticated with their valving and performance, and suspension kinematics are getting more and more engineered for particular traits.
My Nicolai's really highlight that; the G13 and G15 have 15mm of rear travel difference between them, 20mm on the forks, and near identical geometry, but the G15 feels extremely deep and plush compared to "up and go" attitude of the G13. The actual number on the travel is starting to become a lot less meaningful in the overall design of the bike's purpose.

And that's kind of reflected in the industry as a whole these days, designs are all maturing and converging, so it's the finer details that actually sort out the ride qualities, and they're getting much better at realising those smaller details.
Not convinced I agree. The natural conclusion of more sophisticated suspension isn't that you need more of it. To me the convergence of designs is more representative of trend development, and the lure of the arms race. Refinement of system kinematics and component performance should mean a 130mm travel trail bike can be improved without having to add 10mm travel and dilution of its initial reason for being.

Sorry, should add I agree that you absolutely can have a poppy 140mm trail bike that doesn't ride like an enduro sled, but evidently the new TR ain't that.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
The new Commencal allows you to have the lovely straight lines of the new transition models in aluminium and at more obtainable price. Wasn't a huge fan of the 2020 frame but the 2021 looks tops. Still a three grand frame and shock though :(

HamboCairns

The new Commencal allows you to have the lovely straight lines of the new transition models in aluminium and at more obtainable price. Wasn't a huge fan of the 2020 frame but the 2021 looks tops. Still a three grand frame and shock though :(
I really like it

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Between the new Meta and the Ripmo AF we are very quickly approaching an 'affordable' one-bike quiver killer. I am starting to become tempted to bin the 2 bike model (3 with the DJ) and reclaim some garage space...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
You may as well put the Prime in that mix too - its another $3k 'affordable' frame :)

But yes, thinking next bike is likely a Prime or Meta - Ripmo AF has an ugly AF toptube but otherwise nice.