Newly Released Bikes General

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice, but it has stupidly, lazily designed, short, same-sized chainstays across the larger sizes.

To me nothing says CBF than this. And yet Ibis, Pivot and so many other brands make much of their design and engineering ethos.

It's almost as if because it's behind the rider it's of no importance.

Maybe it only matters to me as I'm quite tall..

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Would mullet 10/10.
Ibis say no to Mullet, would drop head angle to 62 and raise BB by 8mm - I think, was mentioned in the PB comments.

I am more excited about Ibis adding a little guard to cover the lower link and stop debris getting in.

Not sure what to make of their traction tune, will wait for reviews. That poo green is growing on me, looks less poo the more I look at it!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
And the ibis people in the comments straight up said throwing a 29’ wheel on the front would be stupid.

Edit: shiny beat me to it.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ibis say no to Mullet, would drop head angle to 62 and raise BB by 8mm - I think, was mentioned in the PB comments.

I am more excited about Ibis adding a little guard to cover the lower link and stop debris getting in.

Not sure what to make of their traction tune, will wait for reviews. That poo green is growing on me, looks less poo the more I look at it!
Run a 150mm fork and 29er front wheel & tyre and you've changed the A2C 2mm. I reckon it'd be fine.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Nice, but it has stupidly, lazily designed, short, same-sized chainstays across the larger sizes.

To me nothing says CBF than this. And yet Ibis, Pivot and so many other brands make much of their design and engineering ethos.

It's almost as if because it's behind the rider it's of no importance.

Maybe it only matters to me as I'm quite tall..
I am also quite tall and inhabit the personal space of an XL sized HD4 frequently.

Can see the lazy argument but from personal experience the HD4 is the most stable bike I have ever - ever - ridden (including a few rangey 29ers) and given the way Ibis meticulously fettle their bikes prior to release that the chainstay length is probably an optimal compromise across all sizes.

The other reason is that I'd imagine having 4 carbon moulds for each front triangle size AND 4 matching moulds for the rear subframe would get biblically expensive, especially given the increasingly rapid frame redesigns mean you're only getting about 18-24 months out of a mould before it's time to bin it and start again.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other reason is that I'd imagine having 4 carbon moulds for each front triangle size AND 4 matching moulds for the rear subframe would get biblically expensive, especially given the increasingly rapid frame redesigns mean you're only getting about 18-24 months out of a mould before it's time to bin it and start again.
I get that, and my Remedy has 435mm length chainstays and rides very well. If choosing again I'd look more critically at this though.

I don't buy the expense. Just get modular dropouts included in the design that can accept long and short fitment. Just like Banshee. Or even a flip chip like SC are running. Same cost, but some variety for the rider in stead of it being like an Oprah Winfrey show...

"You get short stays, and you get short stays, and you over there, you all get short stays!"

beeb

I get a little baffled by the "cost of the mould" argument (not digging at you @Asininedrivel - I mean generally speaking).

Surely with CNC machining they can't be that expensive to manufacture these days. I guess they could still be a couple of thousand per mould, but with all the stress modelling and design work able to be done on computer these days, how many moulds are they really producing? Given the prices of carbon frames, I'm sure they're more than recouping their costs over a production run.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Weren't Ibis making an Extra Small frame in the US because it would have been too expensive vs the volume to have it done in Taiwan with the rest of them?

beeb

I had the impression it was actually more expensive to do it in the US, but it allowed them to experiment with different materials and lay-up techniques. I only briefly read about it so may be a little off the mark though.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had the impression it was actually more expensive to do it in the US, but it allowed them to experiment with different materials and lay-up techniques. I only briefly read about it so may be a little off the mark though.
You've remembered well.