Newly Released Suspension & Components General

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
And where are these screenshots and details you speak of? :p
Working on it! The RSS app is pretty basic and the share option just copies the webpage URL.

Copy paste, here is the main details and hopefully not treading on any toes posting it.

What are the main components?
There are three main components that make up the Flight Attendant system;

• Fork Module – Part of the fork damper, sits just behind the crown
  • Shock Module – Part of the shock damper, sits on top of the piggyback reservoir
  • Pedal Sensor – Sits inside the crank spindle, compatible with most DUB cranks
All components communicate wirelessly using the same AXS technology used in SRAM’s Eagle AXS drivetrains and the RockShox Reverb AXS dropper post. In fact, both the fork and shock modules use exactly the same AXS batteries. The pedal sensor uses a small coin cell battery.

How does it work?
The RockShox Flight Attendant system features a range of sensors that are designed to measure inputs from both the rider and the terrain;

• Pedal sensor – Determines whether the rider is pedalling or not
  • Vibration sensor – Detects bumps in the trail, both the size and frequency
  • Pitch sensor – Determines whether the rider is climbing, on the flat, or descending
Using these sensors, Flight Attendant then determines whether the fork and shock should be in one of three settings: Open, Pedal & Lock.

When you’re coasting down the trail without pedalling, the suspension defaults to open. When you begin pedalling, the system wants to firm up the compression damping. Before doing that though, it will first check in with the other sensors to work out what’s going on underneath the wheels. From there it will then determine which mode is the most appropriate for the terrain.

It’s extremely fast, taking just five milliseconds for the system to make an adjustment. According to RockShox, in the time it takes for you to blink, the system has made about 80 calculations on what the suspension should be doing. It’s basically a much less violent version of the T-1000.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Working on it! The RSS app is pretty basic and the share option just copies the webpage URL.

Copy paste, here is the main details and hopefully not treading on any toes posting it.

• Shock Module – Part of the shock damper, sits on top of the piggyback reservoir
All components communicate wirelessly using the same AXS technology used in SRAM’s Eagle AXS drivetrains and the RockShox Reverb AXS dropper post. In fact, both the fork and shock modules use exactly the same AXS batteries. The pedal sensor uses a small coin cell battery.

How does it work?
The RockShox Flight Attendant system features a range of sensors that are designed to measure inputs from both the rider and the terrain;

• Pitch sensor – Determines whether the rider is climbing, on the flat, or descending
Using these sensors, Flight Attendant then determines whether the fork and shock should be in one of three settings: Open, Pedal & Lock.

When you’re coasting down the trail without pedalling, the suspension defaults to open. When you begin pedalling, the system wants to firm up the compression damping. Before doing that though, it will first check in with the other sensors to work out what’s going on underneath the wheels. From there it will then determine which mode is the most appropriate for the terrain.

It’s extremely fast, taking just five milliseconds for the system to make an adjustment. According to RockShox, in the time it takes for you to blink, the system has made about 80 calculations on what the suspension should be doing. It’s basically a much less violent version of the T-1000.

View attachment 381195
View attachment 381196
So my prediction of a $25k bike will come true for Specialized and this then!

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have the wireless suspension and shifting you have 4 AXS batteries and 3 coin cell batteries. Add Tyrewiz and you go to 5 cell batteries. That's crazy!
That's a lot of batteries for the novelty of wireless.
I bet a larger central battery with cabling is not only lighter, but more user friendly too

Also 19k for a bike! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
And where are these screenshots and details you speak of? :p

How does it work?

View attachment 381195
View attachment 381196
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmqvh2xy5...ht-attendant-service-manual-english.pdf?dl=0

BKMad

Likes Dirt
While I am sure there are people out there that will benefit from this technology, it seems to be just a gimmick to me. I assume that most people are like me in that they adjust the rebound to get that right and generally run the compression fully open and maybe occasionally turn up the LSC for a long climb or something. I don't think most people are sensitive enough to feel the difference. Of course, if you're a dentist buying a specialized, you definitely need it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
In theory, it could (should?) be amazing, but the devil's in the detail and these electronically controlled suspension systems have all come up short in their implementation. The big suspension companies would be better off spending the money improving their existing dampers and air springs rather than adding electronic wizardry, but that's not going to get the dentists buying new gear.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
In theory, it could (should?) be amazing, but the devil's in the detail and these electronically controlled suspension systems have all come up short in their implementation.
One of my mates got a Lapierre Spicy Team (the first bike to come with their EI suspension system). He also got to experience the second generation of their EI system too (introduced in 2015) after the first gen version he had completely shat itself which probably isn't supporting my argument but bear with me. The point is he rated it a lot. Thought it was absolutely fantastic in terms of intuitiveness and how quickly it reacted to conditions. He wasn't an "all the gear no idea" dude like me either, regularly placed top 10 in Elite so he knew how to ride.

As a qualified nerd, I think this stuff is great. Stupidly expensive yes, but it always trickles down. An X01 AXS derailleur was $1200 a year ago, almost half that now.

moorey

call me Mia
While I am sure there are people out there that will benefit from this technology, it seems to be just a gimmick to me. I assume that most people are like me in that they adjust the rebound to get that right and generally run the compression fully open and maybe occasionally turn up the LSC for a long climb or something. I don't think most people are sensitive enough to feel the difference. Of course, if you're a dentist buying a specialized, you definitely need it.
Yep. I definitely need the fancy LSC/HSC on my bikes so I can run them fully open and never think about again. Can’t recall the last time I flicked the climb switch on my forks either.
Some will benefit from the flight control. More power too them. I’m not one of them.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
One of my mates got a Lapierre Spicy Team (the first bike to come with their EI suspension system). He also got to experience the second generation of their EI system too (introduced in 2015) after the first gen version he had completely shat itself which probably isn't supporting my argument but bear with me. The point is he rated it a lot. Thought it was absolutely fantastic in terms of intuitiveness and how quickly it reacted to conditions. He wasn't an "all the gear no idea" dude like me either, regularly placed top 10 in Elite so he knew how to ride.

As a qualified nerd, I think this stuff is great. Stupidly expensive yes, but it always trickles down. An X01 AXS derailleur was $1200 a year ago, almost half that now.
Yup, tech nerd as well. This stuff is cool but I don’t need it. The shifting interests me and would love to try it one day.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As someone who did the first 11km of the Lake mountain descent with my forks accidentally locked out without realising, I tend to agree with you haha.