Newly Released Suspension & Components General

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Reactions: PJO

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think it's a great idea, but wouldn't buy it. Even if it works flawlessly, it still requires a frame specifically designed to accept the parts. Likelyhood of many manufacturers jumping aboard enough to make this commonplace? 2/5ths of f***-all...

At least with a gearbox, you can swap it between compatible frames, and they allow a lot more packaging options for different suspension designs.

I do think this would be a remarkable leap forward for downhill or "super-enduro" type bikes though given (IIRC) a derailleur-based shifting system is a UCI requirement for World Cup racing.

Personally - I reckon if a derailleur bothers you that much, a gearbox is a better solution.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Ok this is pretty cool.

This is pretty cool, has managed to bring some of the advantages of a gearbox to an otherwise conventional system. I think the big win is the chain and derailleur clearance from the ground and no clutch! Otherwise it's only a small win weight wise at the back wheel, still think gearboxes is where we want to get to ultimately. Can't wait to get some proper reviews on the Effigear Mimic, still bugger all real world data on it :(

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Doesn't it just reposition the derailleur cage? Still all the same components from what I can see. Just slightly more protected than a conventional derailleur.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I think it's a great idea, but wouldn't buy it. Even if it works flawlessly, it still requires a frame specifically designed to accept the parts. Likelyhood of many manufacturers jumping aboard enough to make this commonplace? 2/5ths of f***-all...

At least with a gearbox, you can swap it between compatible frames, and they allow a lot more packaging options for different suspension designs.

I do think this would be a remarkable leap forward for downhill or "super-enduro" type bikes though given (IIRC) a derailleur-based shifting system is a UCI requirement for World Cup racing.

Personally - I reckon if a derailleur bothers you that much, a gearbox is a better solution.
I disagree with you here, there is a requirement for one additional mount to run his derailleur. If you ran the SRAM UDH you’d be able to run a conventional one as well. The tensioner jockey would mount to a frames ISCG mount so there are no other mounts to introduce.

having put some time on a zerode the biggest drawback is being unable to shift under any sort of power. I can shift under full power on deore drivetrain ffs! Also the drag is more noticeable than any idler bike I’ve ridden ( a Kavenz, commencal and norco)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Deviate cycles when explaining why they went a conventional drivetrain for the Highlander, rather than the Pinion on the Guide.

You might have seen Deviate Cycles' first bike in 2017, the 160mm-travel Guide that employs a 12-speed gearbox from Pinion and 27.5'' wheels. It's a wild-looking carbon fiber thing with swoopy tubes and, much like the new Highlander, a high single-pivot suspension layout. The longer-travel Guide (pictured here) is intended for enduro-ish riding, or even lapping the bike park, where the focus is on the descents and there's a case to be made for the reliability and suspension performance that a gearbox can offer.

But if you've used a gearbox before, any company's gearbox, you'll know that one thing they don't offer is efficiency. ''We're sold on the gearbox for a winch up/tear down kinda riding, and the suspension performance and low unsprung mass it offers is frankly incredible,'' Deviate's Ben Jones said of their Guide, although he's far more pragmatic about gearboxes than you'd expect given that 50-percent of their model range uses them.

''However, for our trail bike, the gearbox had to go - it feels draggy during undulating riding or when accelerating hard,'' he continued.

beeb

I disagree with you here, there is a requirement for one additional mount to run his derailleur. If you ran the SRAM UDH you’d be able to run a conventional one as well. The tensioner jockey would mount to a frames ISCG mount so there are no other mounts to introduce.

having put some time on a zerode the biggest drawback is being unable to shift under any sort of power. I can shift under full power on deore drivetrain ffs! Also the drag is more noticeable than any idler bike I’ve ridden ( a Kavenz, commencal and norco)
The concentric rotating tensioner isn’t the issue, it’s fitting the high idler sprocket and making it work in the suspension design. A couple a mm here and there can have really significant effects on how a bike rides so it’s not just slap an idler anywhere and she’ll be right.

I think this has some really practical applications (like downhill racing) but it’s unnecessary for most people’s riding.

frenchman

The concentric rotating tensioner isn’t the issue, it’s fitting the high idler sprocket and making it work in the suspension design. A couple a mm here and there can have really significant effects on how a bike rides so it’s not just slap an idler anywhere and she’ll be right.

I think this has some really practical applications (like downhill racing) but it’s unnecessary for most people’s riding.
Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were referring to usability of his drivetrain on different frames being limited.

beeb

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were referring to usability of his drivetrain on different frames being limited.
To be fair, I was also saying that. It’s another derailleur mounting standard (in its current form), and rear swing-arms will have to have the internal space (or a raised arm) for the derailleur to fit through. A Sram UDH could be incorporated into the derailleur mounting though like you say.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The holy grail is to fit inside our existing frame standards, no influence on suspension kinetics, 98-99% efficiency. And robust. And long wearing.

Oh and light. And if it should be cheap too

We don’t want much really, do we?

frenchman

One part of a bike that will never have a universal standard is definitely a derailleur hanger. I think he chose the perfect part to have proprietary mounting.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A cassette tool and wrench aren't the kind of things you take on the trail though. That said, how many times have you had to tighten rotor bolts on the trail?
Not me personally but a friend managed to lose 3 at Stromlo and the remaining were loose too. Only time I’ve seen them loosen before.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
One part of a bike that will never have a universal standard is definitely a derailleur hanger. I think he chose the perfect part to have proprietary mounting.
Its getting there with the UDH (Universal Derailleur Hanger)

Its got a couple of smarts built in too, pivots away when hit from the front and stops chainsuck.

Brands already using or transitioning to it are -