No name and shame, prob a good thing i suppose

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I'm going out on a limb...are we talking 'MM' as the shop?
It's disturbingly easy to figure out which shop it is by combining the phrases 'high end bikes, arrogant staff and dangerously shit service'

dunndog

Eats Squid
As would I usually. This was a once-every-blue-moon thorough going over of every little pivot bolt, etc.. the kind of service that supposedly makes it 'like new again'.

...Needless to say :(
Haha.. let me guess.. the $500 super service including fork and shock?

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'm going out on a limb...are we talking 'MM' as the shop?
Too far Moore. Always too far.
I got it from the opening post, by looking at theOP's location: Melbourne. I was almost tossing up sending my beloved in there for a certain similar sounding thorough going over, but then remembered I like my bike working and not needing to be sent back several times to be huffed at by uppity hipster pricks who know heaps more about deconstructed lattes and what I want than I do. I therefore got my torque wrench out, disassembled andregreased bearings etc myself and send my front and rear susto NS DYNAMICS as they always have been and always will be awesome and deserve a shout out.
Beware the MM's...

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Rip Jobs

I found a lady and her young son broken down on the side of the trails yesterday, bike had just been service @ $180 with both jockey wheel screws left loose to the point where one fell out.

As you were Gents and Ladies.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
i feel there's a vital difference in being simply ripped off, and having your bike come back in a potentially dangerous state through shoddy workmanship!

dunndog

Eats Squid
i feel there's a vital difference in being simply ripped off, and having your bike come back in a potentially dangerous state through shoddy workmanship!
Neither of those are acceptable.
there's a big difference between an honest mistake that is owned up to and rectified - we are only human - and being ripped off. To me, ripped off means you have been charged way too much and/or the work carried out is of a poor standard. Either way they demonstrate a complete lack of respect to you, the customer, and are completely unacceptable in a climate where retailers are crying blue murder.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wouldn't be happy to spend $180 on a cheap hardtail that's worth about $300 new and on the first ride after the service it falls apart. The BB bearings seemed to be seizing and also no Loctite on the jockey bolts either, things like stems, cranks, wheels, drive gear should be double checked. The shop used is known for dodgy work also.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
Just echoing much of the sentiment presented here....it's an unregulated industry with no obligatory qualifications. I put it in the same basket as "tutoring"; anyone can set themselves up with a bike shop and hire professed "bike mechanics" without the need for any requisite qualifications, background checks etc. As a result you get an absurdly wide range of quality (or, quite often, lack thereof.....). Certainly not tarring all shops and their employees with the same brush but it's a scenario that lends itself to charlatans. The ego and sense of self-importance characterising some bike shop employees is mental; lads, you're not curing cancer, ditch the 'tude!
I recall several years ago doing a group ride in the Blue Mountains and a mechanic from a shop in that general area was labeling customers every name under the sun and essentially bemoaning their very existence . I asked him if he'd ever come across customers he liked, to which he replied "only the ones that spend heaps". Was a ridiculous mindset that ended in me telling him that I wouldn't set foot in the shop at which he worked because he was a f&*^ing idiot. We spoke no further that day......!
However, kudos to those shops and their employees who go the extra yard; you're few and far between but I hope you keep fighting the good fight!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll double echo that. It's not the only unregulated industry however. Small engine repair is the same. However they tend to keep the mechanics out back, and the sales up front. At least the larger stores do. Some larger bike shops around here do the same. If you're bike needs fixing you speak directly with the wrencher, want to buy something you speak with the sales person.

I'm going to guess that bike shop sells bikes Lance used to ride?

There is a shop near me that's been around for about 12 months now and they do mainly servicing with some accessory and bike sales as well. I know of people who travel an hour to get bikes fix there. I got my rear brake fixed there and looked like the oil was coming out of the lever. Let them know and I was asked to bring it straight back and it was rebleed and fixed on the spot for no extra $. It cost me the same as replacing the front and rear with brand new brakes from online, but I've not had to mess around with them since and it didn't send me broke.

In comparison I took my <6month old bike back to the shop of purchase for it's free service. Experienced mechanic was on holidays and when I went to pick it up the only thing done was the tyres pumped up to about 40psi and tyre shine sprayed all over them + the rotors and grips etc. The play in the rear wheel was still there. Questioned it and the owner of the store looked at a similar bike on the floor that and it was the same. Called it as 'normal' and I was sent on my way. Not satisfied and having to take the bike apart to clean the tyre shine off everything anyway I had a look and fixed the issue myself! Even found two cable ties missing.

Just echoing much of the sentiment presented here....it's an unregulated industry with no obligatory qualifications. I put it in the same basket as "tutoring"; anyone can set themselves up with a bike shop and hire professed "bike mechanics" without the need for any requisite qualifications, background checks etc. As a result you get an absurdly wide range of quality (or, quite often, lack thereof.....). Certainly not tarring all shops and their employees with the same brush but it's a scenario that lends itself to charlatans. The ego and sense of self-importance characterising some bike shop employees is mental; lads, you're not curing cancer, ditch the 'tude!
I recall several years ago doing a group ride in the Blue Mountains and a mechanic from a shop in that general area was labeling customers every name under the sun and essentially bemoaning their very existence . I asked him if he'd ever come across customers he liked, to which he replied "only the ones that spend heaps". Was a ridiculous mindset that ended in me telling him that I wouldn't set foot in the shop at which he worked because he was a f&*^ing idiot. We spoke no further that day......!
However, kudos to those shops and their employees who go the extra yard; you're few and far between but I hope you keep fighting the good fight!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recall several years ago doing a group ride in the Blue Mountains and a mechanic from a shop in that general area was labeling customers every name under the sun and essentially bemoaning their very existence . I asked him if he'd ever come across customers he liked, to which he replied "only the ones that spend heaps". Was a ridiculous mindset that ended in me telling him that I wouldn't set foot in the shop at which he worked because he was a f&*^ing idiot. We spoke no further that day......
I can't understand how anyone with that attitude can have enough customers come back to keep the business alive? I know that if I ran a bike shop, I'd be eternally grateful for every customer that comes in, but maybe that's only my attitude since cycling is a hobby and not a career at the moment....

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't understand how anyone with that attitude can have enough customers come back to keep the business alive? I know that if I ran a bike shop, I'd be eternally grateful for every customer that comes in, but maybe that's only my attitude since cycling is a hobby and not a career at the moment....
Having worked in a bike shop before, I can understand their gripes. HOWEVER, it's one thing to have a whinge to someone else in the industry, it's stupidity to whinge to customers. It would get exhausting to put time and effort into having stock in your store only to have people come in, try them on and then ask if they can have them for less than the cost price because that is what CRC have them for... I'm not sure there is much $ in high end bikes. Especially considering how picky we all are. Kids bikes are where the $ is.

You don't really know you've been to a good shop until you've been to a good shop though. One that calls back, one that calls you because they know you're after something and they spotted a deal, one that calls/texts as soon as a part is in or your bike is ready or even to let you know they found a problem and it's going to be more expensive than quoted, one that knows their $%^& about what they sell.

An auto mechanic told me recently that there are standard prices and times for jobs in their industry. e.g if you needed to drop the gear box out of a car, replace the clutch plate there is a standard number of hours that takes, plus parts. When you drop your car off and they hoist it up to find a long range fuel tank in the way. They can't just add an extra 2-3 hours to the job without checking with you first.

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to offer the other side, and this is not excusing shonky work. but you get attitude from bike mechanics because this is what an average day can look like.

Open up,
First customer local road rider, comes in complains you dont stock XXX brand tubes and then complains about pricing of the brand you do stock (say 9 dollars for a name brand road tube)
you spend 5 minutes trying to help him, he buys one tube, leaves in a huff.

Next customer comes in to try helmets, you spend 20minutes with them explaining the range and types and the pros/cons of model.. you fit them to a particular model.. you then get the but CRC has them $50 cheaper.
at this point road rider storms in comes up to you and steps infront of your customer claiming the tube which he clearly pinched is faulty and demands a replacement, you offer a free tube and to fit it if he can give you 15minutes.. he agrees...
helmet customer decides the 20 minutes you helped him for was enough for him to decide he did infact want that helmet.... from CRC

You start fitting the tube, phone rings.. you get tube on and in while on phone .. you inflate it. all good. you throw a chain checker on old mates bike and lube the chain and check a few things... bike needs a chain and BB urgently and probably more,

Road rider comes in you explain its all good but he should get his bike serviced.. your quickly told his brother/mate/uncle does it and its all good.

fast forward 2 weeks old mate who bought helmet from CRC wants you to warrant the visor he just broke of in a crash,

fast forward 3 months. old mate want you to warrant a frame repair because his BB has collapsed and killed the press fit shell even though he was fully informed 3 months and 6000kms ago he needed a new one

I get cranky and customers sometimes get attitude from me when i spend all day trying to fix stuff for ungrateful customers then they come in dont say hi and the first thing that comes from there mouth is "tubes" often the reply is "yes" followed by a blank stare.

That said we have customers I would happily pickup their bike from their house and work after house because once a year they might do a coffee run for us or they listen when you offer advise or occasionally buy something from you even though you both know they can get it cheaper online because you have spent time with them helping decide what to buy and had it fitted correctly etc etc

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Just to offer the other side, and this is not excusing shonky work. but you get attitude from bike mechanics because this is what an average day can look like.

Open up,
First customer local road rider, comes in complains you dont stock XXX brand tubes and then complains about pricing of the brand you do stock (say 9 dollars for a name brand road tube)
you spend 5 minutes trying to help him, he buys one tube, leaves in a huff.

Next customer comes in to try helmets, you spend 20minutes with them explaining the range and types and the pros/cons of model.. you fit them to a particular model.. you then get the but CRC has them $50 cheaper.
at this point road rider storms in comes up to you and steps infront of your customer claiming the tube which he clearly pinched is faulty and demands a replacement, you offer a free tube and to fit it if he can give you 15minutes.. he agrees...
helmet customer decides the 20 minutes you helped him for was enough for him to decide he did infact want that helmet.... from CRC

You start fitting the tube, phone rings.. you get tube on and in while on phone .. you inflate it. all good. you throw a chain checker on old mates bike and lube the chain and check a few things... bike needs a chain and BB urgently and probably more,

Road rider comes in you explain its all good but he should get his bike serviced.. your quickly told his brother/mate/uncle does it and its all good.

fast forward 2 weeks old mate who bought helmet from CRC wants you to warrant the visor he just broke of in a crash,

fast forward 3 months. old mate want you to warrant a frame repair because his BB has collapsed and killed the press fit shell even though he was fully informed 3 months and 6000kms ago he needed a new one

I get cranky and customers sometimes get attitude from me when i spend all day trying to fix stuff for ungrateful customers then they come in dont say hi and the first thing that comes from there mouth is "tubes" often the reply is "yes" followed by a blank stare.

That said we have customers I would happily pickup their bike from their house and work after house because once a year they might do a coffee run for us or they listen when you offer advise or occasionally buy something from you even though you both know they can get it cheaper online because you have spent time with them helping decide what to buy and had it fitted correctly etc etc
Not meaning to excuse rude customers at all, but if that's what it takes to make you become a wanker to other customers, including to me who spent many hundreds of dollars in one hit, then that's pretty pathetic. As a school teacher I have to deal with ungrateful, cheating and snotty kids all day but I still do my best for each of them. It's my job.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not meaning to excuse rude customers at all, but if that's what it takes to make you become a wanker to other customers, including to me who spent many hundreds of dollars in one hit, then that's pretty pathetic. As a school teacher I have to deal with ungrateful, cheating and snotty kids all day but I still do my best for each of them. It's my job.
Fair call, What I was perhaps trying to suggest is not all bike shops are CU:censored:S and sometimes we can have shitty day and sometimes how/what you ask can effect the response

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fair call, What I was perhaps trying to suggest is not all bike shops are CU:censored:S and sometimes we can have shitty day and sometimes how/what you ask can effect the response
I'm not sure I knowing shops offering that level of service...

mellow

Banned
Service ?

Believe it or not I am not trying to brag. I am a very lucky older chap with a lovely wife. I have bought 3 new r1200gs/a bmws in the last 5 years. Yes this should be in the fuckwit forum. 2 dealers lost BMW in 4 years. My first took 9 weeks to get genuine panniers fitted. From Melbourne. The current dealer puts in the effort and is rewarded by the best marketing of all. Happy target market ( yes I know, overweight, grey bearded never has Beens reliveing their youth ). But it works. I will refrain from bicycle experience as I am hoping my issue will be sorted, but if not I am going to fuck with their business. Let's just stop accepting being treated like idiots. In our game it would not be tolerated for a moment. My road bicycle service is exceptional. Beyond actually. I would give my mechanic my wallet or house or car keys if he asked, and that is the kind of trust we should have when your life sits on two tiny bits of rubber. Best wishes and have fun.