No name and shame, prob a good thing i suppose

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just to offer the other side, and this is not excusing shonky work. but you get attitude from bike mechanics because this is what an average day can look like.

Open up,
First customer local road rider, comes in complains you dont stock XXX brand tubes and then complains about pricing of the brand you do stock (say 9 dollars for a name brand road tube)
you spend 5 minutes trying to help him, he buys one tube, leaves in a huff.

Next customer comes in to try helmets, you spend 20minutes with them explaining the range and types and the pros/cons of model.. you fit them to a particular model.. you then get the but CRC has them $50 cheaper.
at this point road rider storms in comes up to you and steps infront of your customer claiming the tube which he clearly pinched is faulty and demands a replacement, you offer a free tube and to fit it if he can give you 15minutes.. he agrees...
helmet customer decides the 20 minutes you helped him for was enough for him to decide he did infact want that helmet.... from CRC

You start fitting the tube, phone rings.. you get tube on and in while on phone .. you inflate it. all good. you throw a chain checker on old mates bike and lube the chain and check a few things... bike needs a chain and BB urgently and probably more,

Road rider comes in you explain its all good but he should get his bike serviced.. your quickly told his brother/mate/uncle does it and its all good.

fast forward 2 weeks old mate who bought helmet from CRC wants you to warrant the visor he just broke of in a crash,

fast forward 3 months. old mate want you to warrant a frame repair because his BB has collapsed and killed the press fit shell even though he was fully informed 3 months and 6000kms ago he needed a new one

I get cranky and customers sometimes get attitude from me when i spend all day trying to fix stuff for ungrateful customers then they come in dont say hi and the first thing that comes from there mouth is "tubes" often the reply is "yes" followed by a blank stare.

That said we have customers I would happily pickup their bike from their house and work after house because once a year they might do a coffee run for us or they listen when you offer advise or occasionally buy something from you even though you both know they can get it cheaper online because you have spent time with them helping decide what to buy and had it fitted correctly etc etc
It's just like any other business where you deal with the general public and I always loved the "my mate can do it for 1/2 that price" BS.

mellow

Banned
Wasps' nest.

In most professions there are codes of ethics and legislature and such. Bicycles lack engineering Certs. or roadworties or indeed trade qualifications necessary to call oneself a " bicycle mechanic". Correct me if I am wrong. In most trades and professions these are prerequisites of license / insurance to trade. What I am saying is that we must be proactive in demanding legitimate professional service.

mellow

Banned
Ranting really now.

Having said my bit, I should add that for many years and many bikes I received fantastic, extra mile service from that dirt shop up north. Shop bikes and demos without question. And forgive the odd fuckwit from me. I still would, but geographically challenged. Be happy.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to offer the other side, and this is not excusing shonky work. but you get attitude from bike mechanics because this is what an average day can look like.

Open up,
First customer local road rider, comes in complains you dont stock XXX brand tubes and then complains about pricing of the brand you do stock (say 9 dollars for a name brand road tube)
you spend 5 minutes trying to help him, he buys one tube, leaves in a huff.

Next customer comes in to try helmets, you spend 20minutes with them explaining the range and types and the pros/cons of model.. you fit them to a particular model.. you then get the but CRC has them $50 cheaper.
at this point road rider storms in comes up to you and steps infront of your customer claiming the tube which he clearly pinched is faulty and demands a replacement, you offer a free tube and to fit it if he can give you 15minutes.. he agrees...
helmet customer decides the 20 minutes you helped him for was enough for him to decide he did infact want that helmet.... from CRC

You start fitting the tube, phone rings.. you get tube on and in while on phone .. you inflate it. all good. you throw a chain checker on old mates bike and lube the chain and check a few things... bike needs a chain and BB urgently and probably more,

Road rider comes in you explain its all good but he should get his bike serviced.. your quickly told his brother/mate/uncle does it and its all good.

fast forward 2 weeks old mate who bought helmet from CRC wants you to warrant the visor he just broke of in a crash,

fast forward 3 months. old mate want you to warrant a frame repair because his BB has collapsed and killed the press fit shell even though he was fully informed 3 months and 6000kms ago he needed a new one

I get cranky and customers sometimes get attitude from me when i spend all day trying to fix stuff for ungrateful customers then they come in dont say hi and the first thing that comes from there mouth is "tubes" often the reply is "yes" followed by a blank stare.

That said we have customers I would happily pickup their bike from their house and work after house because once a year they might do a coffee run for us or they listen when you offer advise or occasionally buy something from you even though you both know they can get it cheaper online because you have spent time with them helping decide what to buy and had it fitted correctly etc etc
I can see how that would piss you off, in the same situation it would piss me off too. I'm a teacher and the amount of people who think they can do it better/different or want to tell you how to do your job does my head in.

Is there anything that can be implemented to curb some of these issues though?

I've often thought how I would react if someone came to my job, took a look around, thought they could do better themselves or a mate could and then offered me $XX less an hour without putting in any effort or qualifications etc. Oh wait, parents do that ALL the time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've worked in some interesting and challenging customer service roles; retail, debt collecting, penalty appeals, hospitality, and so on...some people just aren't designed for a customer service role. It is poor management to facilitate it. If someone is technically brilliant and they can't be near customers, keep them away from customers or replace them. There is no excuse for poor service in an industry reliant on service.

When I've even plagued by arseholes (like Merc's talking about) i like to turn it into a game and entertain my colleagues. See just how far you can spin bullshit to the customer before they cotton on. You aren't likely to loose a sale over it anyway so have some fun. "You appear to be a gentlemen of refined tastes..." is always a good way to start such a facade.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In most professions there are codes of ethics and legislature and such. Bicycles lack engineering Certs. or roadworties or indeed trade qualifications necessary to call oneself a " bicycle mechanic". Correct me if I am wrong. In most trades and professions these are prerequisites of license / insurance to trade. What I am saying is that we must be proactive in demanding legitimate professional service.
Well are you going to go & set up Bke Mechanics courses in every TAFE college around the country? Unlike the common trades, bike courses, while they do exist, are extremely few & far between, so it's actually incredibly difficult to go & get the necessary certificate. Manufacturer-backed professional service training is also practically non-existent; SRAM are the only one I know of who do offer service education to bike industry workers.

mellow

Banned
maybe.

I realise I may come off sounding like a pompous wanker.
I am maybe one of those who should be kept from the public, and I am.
Please realise I am not trying to be a braggart, but to make a point about the providers to the recreation we love and wish to contribute to the development and safety of.
We have never advertised, have no signage, silent unlisted numbers, and I am an unrecognisable / unattractive knob.
I believe because we treat everyone with respect, and theirs' as our own.

In my twenties I met Dick Smith, in a very remote location. We spent couple hours.
He did not want an " audience ", or piss in my pocket about who or what he was.
He was genuinely interested in us, what we were up to, asked questions, was contagiously positive and vibrant. He offered help ( which we did not need ) and opened a door without conditions attached.
Hence he is " Dick Smith ".
Media often quotes him on providing service.
Imagine that !

mellow

Banned
devils' advocate.

Some, myself included, to pursue our desired professions, travel interstate and internationally to gain relevant experience and qualifications. For years.
We also take on large personal debts to service these. For years.
If we accept a bar set so low, and excuses of it's too hard and my local TAFE won't help, ( which is a joke industry. research Vic and Qld. of late if you like ), do we condone the current poor state of affairs.
Personal and professional and business development requires sacrifice and hard work.

Feel free to tell me . . . . . . . . whatever.
At least it proves your passion and ownership for what you do.
You wish to develop and improve the legitimacy, compliance and safety of your industry. Kudos.
Demand better.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I know I'm being simplistic here but it sounds a little bit like that you're being nice to the arseholes and snapping at the normal customers!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Fair call, What I was perhaps trying to suggest is not all bike shops are CU:censored:S and sometimes we can have shitty day and sometimes how/what you ask can effect the response
The difference here is that these are isolated responses to isolated incidents, not a history and seeming policy on poor customer service and shoddy workmanship. We all cop attitude and shit at work, and without trying to belittle your situation, it can be over far bigger issues than a bike helmet or tyre tube.. if these tings get a bike shop employee so riled up I'd suggest a different line of work..

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
The difference here is that these are isolated responses to isolated incidents, not a history and seeming policy on poor customer service and shoddy workmanship. We all cop attitude and shit at work, and without trying to belittle your situation, it can be over far bigger issues than a bike helmet or tyre tube.. if these tings get a bike shop employee so riled up I'd suggest a different line of work..
No excuses for being a knob. It just means you're a dick.

Anyway, it's a free market and both and negative and positive reputations soon spread. It's quite interesting how one simple interaction with a salesperson can influence a person's opinion of a shop, regardless of their products or workmanship.

I'm a bit surprised at the extent of the reputation of the store mentioned at the start of this thread. (note, not surprised at the reputation (it's deserved), just the extent of it).