Official kentlyn thread

Jado

Likes Dirt
New DH Trail?

Hey, saw the new lines marked out - I would like to help with the new DH trails I saw today, can someone private message me and we can chat?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Original Rock trail was 1.35kms. It has developed over the years. The 5km loop (Strava wise) was 6.8km exact. It is now 7kms.

Sorry to the Strava users, but a new Strava name, is what is needed. Maybe RockTrail using just one word.

Get in quick with RockTrail and take the top times.

The new bit will get quicker with some tweeking.

The Rock Trail as it was on yesterday morning, has only been like that since 2013.

Last edited:

Jado

Likes Dirt
Original Rock trail was 1.35kms. It has developed over the years. The 5km loop (Strava wise) was 6.8km exact. It is now 7kms.

Sorry to the Strava users, but a new Strava name, is what is needed. Maybe RockTrail using just one word.

Get in quick with RockTrail and take the top times.

The new bit will get quicker with some tweeking.

The Rock Trail as it was on yesterday morning, has only been like that since 2013.
Thanks for answering, so you are doing the work?

Strava is gone on rock trail, well the "contest" at the top that was going over the last 12 months. I made the new segment and Strava calculated all the old recordings in the new circuit. And there in lies the problem, if Strava counted our ride today onwards it would be fine, but that bit adds at least three minutes so the new times are heavily handicapped.

Why don't we reopen the blockage giving riders a 'strava' option? This is Rock Trail Original and heaps of people will ride the new bit (myself included).

But to not ever be able to have a Strava KOM for the track is a rather unappealing scenario.

What do you think of the trail opening with sign posts, i can do the laminated signs. And help reopen.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
My suggestion would be that Bob does more exrtensions ( go on bob you know you want to) throwing the old strava segment completely out the window hence creating a new segment and a new leaderboard. Or if thats it for the extensions and the old route is reopened the sign should definately read <stravarard< & >just for fun> :p

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Bob for all of your work on the trail over the years. I think it's ridiculous that there is a call to make a change based on Strava times. Trails evolve. If it's going to be labelled it should be called the Rock Trail B Line loop. That way anyone who cares can see who is winning 2nd division on The Rock Trail. :violin:

Why not ask to take out some of the rocks or turns. That'll improve strava times too. :twitch:

Jado

Likes Dirt
My suggestion would be that Bob does more exrtensions ( go on bob you know you want to) throwing the old strava segment completely out the window hence creating a new segment and a new leaderboard. Or if thats it for the extensions and the old route is reopened the sign should definately read <stravarard< & >just for fun> :p

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
+1

Good suggestion

Jado

Likes Dirt
Thanks Bob for all of your work on the trail over the years. I think it's ridiculous that there is a call to make a change based on Strava times. Trails evolve. If it's going to be labelled it should be called the Rock Trail B Line loop. That way anyone who cares can see who is winning 2nd division on The Rock Trail. :violin:

Why not ask to take out some of the rocks or turns. That'll improve strava times too. :twitch:
Hi Ya,

Hey Nice suck up to the trail builder but I think your missing the jist. But first of all I love bob's work and have told him so personally, and if we could measure the amount of true appreciation that is within you and within me for Bob's work well i know my appreciation is greater - I moved to 7 mins from Kentlyn 18 months ago and currently ride there 3-5 times a week, and the place has changed my life - my appreciation goes way beyond mountain biking. Second of all i have an admission, i didn't know Bob the Builder's profile on Rotorburn till tonight. So there you go. It's not a call based on strava times, its a suggestion based on the limitation of the tool we use to measure our rides. As i said above I'll ride both ways if the other is opened up again. It would be good for those of us who are in the top times to be able to still compete against one another. I was hoping to get back and improve my spot from 7th, which was 3rd when i did it but surpassed by many recent efforts. I like the competition, its great. It probably seems like a wank to you but i really don't care.

The only way I wish to improve my strava is for me to ride faster, the Rock Trail is a brilliant XC trail and if it evolves further I'm a massive fan of that idea. As the above poster has suggested I hope too that there's a significant enough difference in the circuit so Strava does not include the pre-this-week's rides.

If the strava segment for Rock Trail is now history, then well, so be it. I will still ride as fast as I can go and also as a fun loop with my riding mates. It is a suggestion that i think that caters to a big group of people riding there, who are fans of bob's work too.

Last edited:

mtboer

Likes Dirt
No problem to open up the 3 metres, just kick the stuff out of the way. Then people can ride what they like.
Not really a hassle. The only thing I don't want is trails crossing each other and not be able to get back out, for noobs.
Bill is a great guy (the landowner of half of it) but I really don't want people going through his place. Opening that bit up causes no worry at all.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There you go. Permission from the builder for the strava junkies to ignore his new work and for others who just want to ride great trail to do that as well. Problem solved.:decision:

Jado

Likes Dirt
No problem to open up the 3 metres, just kick the stuff out of the way. Then people can ride what they like.
Not really a hassle. The only thing I don't want is trails crossing each other and not be able to get back out, for noobs.
Bill is a great guy (the landowner of half of it) but I really don't want people going through his place. Opening that bit up causes no worry at all.
Cheers Bob, yep i get the bit about making it easy and well directed for the noobs.

Jado

Likes Dirt
There you go. Permission from the builder for the strava junkies to ignore his new work and for others who just want to ride great trail to do that as well. Problem solved.:decision:

Truth be known I'll end up riding the new bit more than the bypass.

The thing I don't get about those people labeling "strava junkies" is that they have a distorted view from the reality of the majority of people that use strava. And those that have this opinion always appear bitter and want the rest of the world to do it their way, and are always labeling strava users as awful things. The reality for the vast majority of riders using strava and (for example) riding in the top 100 around Rock Trail is that they are normal mountain bikers enjoying seeing their own improvement and enjoying some friendly rivalry with mates and other strava users, by far and away the experience for most is this shared friendly competitive experience. There are a few (complete minority) who are real 'nuts' about strava and do stupid things and you anti-strava guys pull out your 200 foot wide paint brush and brush the whole strava population with this crap.

Last edited:

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Bob great to hear you've extended the rock trail, now I wish I went and checked it out yesterday morning.
I myself have been scoping out a possible extension to 6 bridges trail, as it's only myself now things might take a bit long to complete

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Bob great to hear you've extended the rock trail, now I wish I went and checked it out yesterday morning.
I myself have been scoping out a possible extension to 6 bridges trail, as it's only myself now things might take a bit long to complete
You did the 6 Bridges so quick. How many of you then ?

That's a great track.

Jado

Likes Dirt
New Trail Section Open - Forest Flow Loop Complete

Hi,

A new trail has been completed and now ready for riding. Welcome to Forest Flow Loop. The trail is an independent loop but can be done in conjunction with 6 bridges forming a figure eight.

It's an up track (which is the new section) and flowy fast gravity trail that drops into the entrance of Roller Coaster (which is part of 6 bridges) forming about 300 metres of fast, fun flowing gravity which I'm sure will generate those smiles we all know.

The start of the loop (the up bit) is about 10 metres before the turn off to Roller Coaster, picture below shows the fresh track on the left.

Go ride and enjoy! (It needs some bedding in but it's good to go)

2d1w8lv.jpg

Newts

Likes Dirt
Hi,

A new trail has been completed and now ready for riding. Welcome to Forest Flow Loop. The trail is an independent loop but can be done in conjunction with 6 bridges forming a figure eight.

It's an up track (which is the new section) and flowy fast gravity trail that drops into the entrance of Roller Coaster (which is part of 6 bridges) forming about 300 metres of fast, fun flowing gravity which I'm sure will generate those smiles we all know.

The start of the loop (the up bit) is about 10 metres before the turn off to Roller Coaster, picture below shows the fresh track on the left.

Go ride and enjoy! (It needs some bedding in but it's good to go)

View attachment 327642
that's one of the original lines of Kentlyn... Plenty of room for tracks up the top - was looking at that last year when I was searching for Yeahyeah's 6 Bridges track before it was completed