Oil catch can

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Lol :) Just acknowledging there might be differences in the technical subtleties of catch cans with cancer mobiles as opposed to their use on (less cancerous) DI petrols.
That is true.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You like sniffing unleaded petrol fumes at the sevo instead. o_O:)
No I really really don't... I try to stand upwind as much as possible and dream of electric cars I can charge overnight much more conveniently and not have to stuff around with stinky servos...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Looks exactly like this though? I'm not trying to be cheap, just curious.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Cat...573471?hash=item3cf8584a1f:g:Ey8AAOSwE95aXEM4
I'm running one of these, seem to do the job reasonably well on my old diesel navara. I've got a Gatorade bottle set up underneath to catch the run off, I reckon I'd get around 300ml every 10,000km service cycle so it's definitely saving some build up. It doesn't stop all the oil getting through though, there's still residue on the intercooler pipes but I'd hazard a guess that it's less than I'd otherwise get. Didn't notice a difference between metal mesh and fabric, both seem to do the same thing but metal can be washed and reused.

The beast has a solid 545,000 on the clock though so your results will probably be different id be willing to bet...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Th
I'm running one of these, seem to do the job reasonably well on my old diesel navara. I've got a Gatorade bottle set up underneath to catch the run off, I reckon I'd get around 300ml every 10,000km service cycle so it's definitely saving some build up. It doesn't stop all the oil getting through though, there's still residue on the intercooler pipes but I'd hazard a guess that it's less than I'd otherwise get. Didn't notice a difference between metal mesh and fabric, both seem to do the same thing but metal can be washed and reused.

The beast has a solid 545,000 on the clock though so your results will probably be different id be willing to bet...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Thanks Plank. Exactly what I was originally asking. I'll grab one and fit it. Still better than nothing even if it does still let a little through.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hey Dman have you checked to see how much oil it goes through in between services?

What a lot of you blokes don't realise is that the car is tuned to cope with oil vapours as part of the emission control system, Fair enough if the car has a serious problem with piston blowby but I wouldn't put a catch can on for the sake of it. I can tell you now it will not stop gas reversion from valve overlap depositing carbon gunk on the back of the valves. The only thing you can do there is use fuel additive cleaner from the start of owning the car.

https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-powertrain/diesel-fiddles-may-2016

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Hey Dman have you checked to see how much oil it goes through in between services?

What a lot of you blokes don't realise is that the car is tuned to cope with oil vapours as part of the emission control system, Fair enough if the car has a serious problem with piston blowby but I wouldn't put a catch can on for the sake of it. I can tell you now it will not stop gas reversion from valve overlap depositing carbon gunk on the back of the valves. The only thing you can do there is use fuel additive cleaner from the start of owning the car.

https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-powertrain/diesel-fiddles-may-2016
Or upper engine cleaning foam

I had a Japanese made one years ago, sprayed on carbon build up on old pistons I couldn't get off with a blade, 5 mins later would float off.

Three-bond?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Or upper engine cleaning foam

I had a Japanese made one years ago, sprayed on carbon build up on old pistons I couldn't get off with a blade, 5 mins later would float off.

Three-bond?
Yeah, the Subies use the foam. It's best to use it in regular intervals from when your car is new as once you get a thick coating of carbon it takes a lot to get rid of it. I was sceptical of upper cylinder cleaner until I removed a few cylinder heads that had it done regularly and they really looked clean in behind the valves and ports. I've had good experiences with the Wynns branded cleaner.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah, the Subies use the foam. It's best to use it in regular intervals from when your car is new as once you get a thick coating of carbon it takes a lot to get rid of it. I was sceptical of upper cylinder cleaner until I removed a few cylinder heads that had it done regularly and they really looked clean in behind the valves and ports. I've had good experiences with the Wynns branded cleaner.
This stuff, think it was three bond, was impressive. The oem foam from Subaru australia may as well be mr sheen in comparison.

Once I get my thumb out of my ass and build that worked ej25 I'll have to go back to regular maintenance.

stirk

Burner
Lol :) Just acknowledging there might be differences in the technical subtleties of catch cans with cancer mobiles as opposed to their use on (less cancerous) DI petrols.
There are also differences between the particulate exhausting heavy machinery diesel most cancer studies are based on versus the more efficient and modern car engines. What's better, a large petrol guzzler versus a smaller turbo diesel with the same power output but more efficiency?

Note the lack of acronyms, particularly the one used for the internal combustion engine, using that acronym will end up with the Facebook data machine labelling me a drug addict. You can expect some police surveillance soon!

Flow-Rider

Burner
There are also differences between the particulate exhausting heavy machinery diesel most cancer studies are based on versus the more efficient and modern car engines. What's better, a large petrol guzzler versus a smaller turbo diesel with the same power output but more efficiency?

Note the lack of acronyms, particularly the one used for the internal combustion engine, using that acronym will end up with the Facebook data machine labelling me a drug addict. You can expect some police surveillance soon!
He's got no respect for our old Hiluxes that we save from smelting into new Alfas.

I'd rather stand behind a diesel and suck in raw diesel fumes than stand behind a petrol with the cats that aren't working properly, which is a lot of petrol cars on the road of old age.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'm not sure why?

https://theconversation.com/fact-check-are-diesel-cars-really-more-polluting-than-petrol-cars-76241

"...This article rightly sums up the outlook that new, well maintained diesel vehicles have quite similar levels of particulate emissions to petrol cars, although they are still higher. However, most vehicle fleets are dominated by the older and considerably more polluting, earlier emission standard vehicles. It will take many years for these vehicles to make their way out of operation. During this time, human health will continue to be damaged by diesel emissions..."

Haakon

He's got no respect for our old Hiluxes that we save from smelting into new Alfas.

I'd rather stand behind a diesel and suck in raw diesel fumes than stand behind a petrol with the cats that aren't working properly, which is a lot of petrol cars on the road of old age.
I can point you in the direction of a good Oncologist...

and you’re right - I have no respect for old diesels being used as general transport. Also no respect for anyone who buys a new one either - you can’t plead ignorance as you might on the old one you bought years ago.

Haakon

What's better, a large petrol guzzler versus a smaller turbo diesel with the same power output but more efficiency?

!
From a human health and air quality perspective, the petrol guzzler by a very wide margin is better.

From a GHG emissions perspective, the diesel. By a little bit...

Flow-Rider

Burner
I can point you in the direction of a good Oncologist...
I can tell you from working in fairly enclosed workshops when motors are running, which one will make you cough your guts up first and make your eyes sting, What a lot of car companies don't tell you is that emission controls hardly work when a car is warming up in it's overfueled (rich) condition. You know, the time people are running around their car in an enclosed garage filling their boot or loading the kids in the car with the motor running. Breathing in raw unleaded fumes is not ideal.

and you’re right - I have no respect for old diesels being used as general transport. Also no respect for anyone who buys a new one either - you can’t plead ignorance as you might on the old one you bought years ago.
I was only having a bit of a joke but,:)
I will like to see a true evaluation on the environment with deposing of old used cars, I know with mine over 32 years old and most people I know these days change their cars in under 10 years periods. Big truck engines that are under constant loads and you can see large plumes of smoke come out of the stacks when they accelerate would have been more of a worry to me.

Haakon

Yeah, the whole old vs new car and their relative life cycle emissions is pretty fraught. The catch is that there a lot of variables! But the short answer is a new one is better (with a big fat caveat that it can go either way if extreme examples are used). And that's talking about GHG emissions.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...car-is-greener-than-driving-an-old-one-really

If you're talking air quality/health impacting emissions, then the new one wins every time hands down. That doesn't even need discussion!

And absolutely agree with heavy vehicles, am really hoping Tesla and others can start a shift to electric in heavy freight like they have in passenger cars. But at least controls are getting tigher (albeit slower than for passenger vehicles). Although its worth noting that in heavy traffic and in residential areas heavy freight emissions are less of proportion of crap you're breathing in.

You should also read about what the Trump administration has allowed in the US - new bodies being fitted with reconditioned old engines using obsolete emission controls (or none at all) and getting around emission standards...

Its also extra hard when you have complete cnuts who think this is acceptable behaviour;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-...040248?hash=item1a4b092538:g:FLgAAOSw~QBallgv

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/adBlue-...141529?hash=item4d6f5239d9:g:8T8AAOSw~T9ad7Sx

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I can tell you from working in fairly enclosed workshops when motors are running, which one will make you cough your guts up first and make your eyes sting, What a lot of car companies don't tell you is that emission controls hardly work when a car is warming up in it's overfueled (rich) condition. You know, the time people are running around their car in an enclosed garage filling their boot or loading the kids in the car with the motor running. Breathing in raw unleaded fumes is not ideal.

I was only having a bit of a joke but,:)
I will like to see a true evaluation on the environment with deposing of old used cars, I know with mine over 32 years old and most people I know these days change their cars in under 10 years periods. Big truck engines that are under constant loads and you can see large plumes of smoke come out of the stacks when they accelerate would have been more of a worry to me.

especially Oxygen sensors with open heater circuits.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most of these high powered cars like Holden 6L utes on the roads that have been retuned with big cams are no different to an old car.Over the years I've put a fair few cars on gas analysers and a lot of cars pour hydrocarbons out of the tail pipe when accelerated. Governments hardly ever check emission control on cars that are few years old and when they do the tolerance is really loose from what I've seen in QLD. They just go after some car enthusiast that drives his muscle car once a month while the soccer mum car has leaking exhaust fumes with clogged up fuel injectors and the cat needed replacing about about 5 years ago.

I'm not a big car driver these days, I've only put about 60k on my hilux in the last 10 years and the wrx virtually sits in the garage most of its life.

Haakon

Most of these high powered cars like Holden 6L utes on the roads that have been retuned with big cams are no different to an old car.Over the years I've put a fair few cars on gas analysers and a lot of cars pour hydrocarbons out of the tail pipe when accelerated. Governments hardly ever check emission control on cars that are few years old and when they do the tolerance is really loose from what I've seen in QLD. They just go after some car enthusiast that drives his muscle car once a month while the soccer mum car has leaking exhaust fumes with clogged up fuel injectors and the cat needed replacing about about 5 years ago.

I'm not a big car driver these days, I've only put about 60k on my hilux in the last 10 years and the wrx virtually sits in the garage most of its life.
Yeah, no arguments there... EPAs have zero budget these days, and the annual checks in those states that have them are a joke.