Oil catch can

link1896

Mr Greenfield
With oil so thin that it evaporates as soon as you look at it to save a poofteenth of drag. It seems that everything is made well up until the point one part breaks and then you need to throw the whole unit away. I can't see that removing a whole engine on a car that is 10 years old or more and replacing it with a complete unit because it's not economical to repair is being environmentally friendly.

hardly worth doing it yourself even.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I can tell if that VW/Audi/Skoda 5 cars ahead on the freeway is diesel or not. Feral stinky shitboxes. Any 4wd/suv i just hit recycle immediately so I can avoid choking on selfish wanker fumes...
I followed a fairly new Lexus the other day with rotten egg gas smell and those twin turboed Audi's when they accelerate just dump plumes of fuel out, even some of the BMW X5 do it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I followed a fairly new Lexus the other day with rotten egg gas smell and those twin turboed Audi's when they accelerate just dump plumes of fuel out, even some of the BMW X5 do it.
Yeah I’ve seen that too. Most petrols will blow crap out the back if given a bootful after some time toodling around. I suspect it’s build up of shit on the cat that’s burnt off.

I don’t know if it’s related to the new turbo Audi smoke, but direct injection has the same (although not nearly as bad....) particulate problem for the same high compression high temperature combustion reasons as a diesel. Euro VII petrols will need particulate filters too (and diesel will simply not be economically viable to build in most cases to meet Euro VII).

That rotten egg smell is a byproduct of the oil companies refusing to upgrade their refineries to bring sulfur content down to globally acceptable levels. We have 10 times what the EU has. Despite the car industry wanting it because the high sulfur content can screw with direct injectors, the feds have folded to high quality lobbying by oil execs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah I’ve seen that too. Most petrols will blow crap out the back if given a bootful after some time toodling around. I suspect it’s build up of shit on the cat that’s burnt off.

I don’t know if it’s related to the new turbo Audi smoke, but direct injection has the same (although not nearly as bad....) particulate problem for the same high compression high temperature combustion reasons as a diesel. Euro VII petrols will need particulate filters too (and diesel will simply not be economically viable to build in most cases to meet Euro VII).

That rotten egg smell is a byproduct of the oil companies refusing to upgrade their refineries to bring sulfur content down to globally acceptable levels. We have 10 times what the EU has. Despite the car industry wanting it because the high sulfur content can screw with direct injectors, the feds have folded to high quality lobbying by oil execs.
Rotten egg gas is normally the engine is so over fuelled from an EFI problem or the cat can't burn all the excess fuel off. You shouldn't smell much of it on any new car unless it's warming up. Normally the sulphur is converted to sulphur dioxide, which has a different smell. You need to spend about a year working beside a tune scope in an automotive workshop. It funny how one minute experts in Europe say how good diesels are and next minute they're one of the most deadliest things on the planet to human kind.

Haakon

Yes - cats designed for low sulfur fuel and not coping with over fuel situations.
Mind you, over fuelling from a fault is a fault - not a design or tech issue?

Not sure if you’re saying I’m a one minute expert or not (not heard that one before...), but for the record I’ve always said diesel was evil shit... A lot of greenie friends have had to deal with my “i told you so!!!”

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes - cats designed for low sulfur fuel and not coping with over fuel situations.
Mind you, over fuelling from a fault is a fault - not a design or tech issue?

Not sure if you’re saying I’m a one minute expert or not (not heard that one before...), but for the record I’ve always said diesel was evil shit... A lot of greenie friends have had to deal with my “i told you so!!!”
You can't really replace diesel engines in commercial industry with petrol engines, it's the automotive industry trying to make them like a petrol engine to appease the public for everyday normal use.

Haakon

You can't really replace diesel engines in commercial industry with petrol engines, it's the automotive industry trying to make them like a petrol engine to appease the public for everyday normal use.
It won't be petrol replacing diesel, it will be electrification - be it hybrid, or fool cells, or straight electric. Fuck the trucks off long haul altogether, at least on the main city to city route (so fucking dumb have a hundred trucks traveling the Hume alongside a freight rail line...) and electric heavy trucks are viable for a lot of the freight task.

Actual 4WD use in the actual bush are likely to stay diesel for some time, SUV owners in town can suck it up with the car fleet being cleaned up.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I would happily change my diesel 4wd for a decent petrol hybrid drivetrain. No need for auxiliary batteries. RWD with 8 or 9 speed auto, no transfercase or low range. Electric motors in each wheel providing front wheel assist. Peak torque at stall. Could get away with a 2.5L turbo petrol. Better fuel economy, cleaner, better tourer and better off road ability.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Fossil fuels are still too cheap ATM and if someone was to invent a more economical way to harness and store natural energy the oil corps will buy them out. Who knows what the future will bring and we can't keep on digging stuff out of the ground for ever either.

scblack

Leucocholic
It won't be petrol replacing diesel, it will be electrification - be it hybrid, or fool cells, or straight electric.
Ah gotcha, so we move the smog away from your street to the generators. Good one, at least we can't see the coal fumes from Canberra huh. Its a nice platitude, but the power has to be generated somewhere and in Australia its going to be many many years before coal is replaced.

and electric heavy trucks are viable for a lot of the freight task.
No, they are not viable. At least not for many years from now. If they were actually viable, they would be used now. Maybe in the future but for now that's the most efficient option.

Actual 4WD use in the actual bush are likely to stay diesel for some time, SUV owners in town can suck it up with the car fleet being cleaned up.
Actually 4wd use in the bush could easily use petrol - Its only old die-hards who desperately hang on there, the ones who know no better. Along with the manual transmission die-hards (especially for towing).

Haakon

Ah gotcha, so we move the smog away from your street to the generators. Good one, at least we can't see the coal fumes from Canberra huh. Its a nice platitude, but the power has to be generated somewhere and in Australia its going to be many many years before coal is replaced.

No, they are not viable. At least not for many years from now. If they were actually viable, they would be used now. Maybe in the future but for now that's the most efficient option.

Actually 4wd use in the bush could easily use petrol - Its only old die-hards who desperately hang on there, the ones who know no better. Along with the manual transmission die-hards (especially for towing).
Depends on where your power is coming from. That’s changing. But even with brown coal EVs are better. Marginally... But your EV gets better as the grid improves, your dino juice machine only ever gets worse.

And obviously electric trucks are not here yet. But they’re not far off... Although the train lover in me notes that a convey of Tesla Semis all running on autopilot has economics that beats rail transport in the US. Don’t know if that’s the case here, but we do love our cheap Chinese shit from eBay to arrive overnight...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Electric cars still have a long way to go, I used to visit a shop here in Brisbane that owns a fleet of taxi hybrids. When the electrics go on them it very costly and it's quite often.

Vibrations and electrics don't mix either and it's a chaotic nightmare. I looked after a fleet of mobile gensets that travelled on the back of a road train all over Australia and by the time they arrived at the location, the electrics crapped themselves. We tried mounting them on rubber and timbre, they lasted a little bit longer but still the same. Not sure I'd want to own an electric 4 wheeler that goes in salt water either and even worse when you go to very isolated locations.

Haakon

And yet they’re still used as taxis and not VW diesels - I guess the long term dollars still stack up.

Mechanically the hybrids are very simple at least.

Flow-Rider

Burner
And yet they’re still used as taxis and not VW diesels - I guess the long term dollars still stack up.

Mechanically the hybrids are very simple at least.
I'm sure they made money out of them and Govt would have some sort of rebate or incentive also.
I can't ever remember getting into any VW taxis at all but diesel yes.