Oil catch can

Flow-Rider

Burner
All this catch can talk reminded me the Alfa really needs one... It’s a very highly boosted engine (170bhp from a 1.4).

Popped the engine cover off and staring back at me is a factory oil separator that just drains back into the valve cover! Nice :)
How does it drain back into the tappet cover ? I can only see a vacuum port to manifold and Diaphragm and what looks to be a breather from the crankcase.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
How does it drain back into the tappet cover ? I can only see a vacuum port to manifold and Diaphragm and what looks to be a breather from the crankcase.
Those are two outlets - one to the inlet manifold, and one to the turbo inlet. It has two ports on the valve cover it’s mounted on - one for crankcase fumes in, and one for a condensed oil return.

Seems it’s not quite as effective as an aftermarket catch can though. Good enough for a stock engine mostly driven by SWMBO though I think. It’s also a port injection engine so no real worries.

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...turbo/18669-oil-catch-cans.html#/topics/18669

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those are two outlets - one to the inlet manifold, and one to the turbo inlet. It has two ports on the valve cover it’s mounted on - one for crankcase fumes in, and one for a condensed oil return.

Seems it’s not quite as effective as an aftermarket catch can though. Good enough for a stock engine mostly driven by SWMBO though I think. It’s also a port injection engine so no real worries.

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...turbo/18669-oil-catch-cans.html#/topics/18669
I see, the others are underneath it. That's a bit different to the one you pictured though.

Haakon

I see, the others are underneath it. That's a bit different to the one you pictured though.
No, the close ups are of a turbo like mine. The full engine shot in that thread is of a non turbo model.

Anyway, I’m just happy I don’t need to install a catch can :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
No, the close ups are of a turbo like mine. The full engine shot in that thread is of a non turbo model.

Anyway, I’m just happy I don’t need to install a catch can :)
I think it says something about the engine if it needs one in standard form. I'm pretty sure there's nothing on my WRX and I don't get an oiled up air filter.

Haakon

I think it says something about the engine if it needs one in standard form. I'm pretty sure there's nothing on my WRX and I don't get an oiled up air filter.
You wouldn’t, they feed back into the induction post filter. The issue with turbos is crap collecting in the intercoler and on turbine blades.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You wouldn’t, they feed back into the induction post filter. The issue with turbos is crap collecting in the intercoler and on turbine blades.
Where's this unusual build up on the blades ? That turbo was in a car for more than 13 years untouched.

20180422_115754.jpg

20180422_115849.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Flow, your example isn't relevent in an age of Euro IV, V and VI engines.
My point is that they make a problem to solve a problem. The twin turboed 300zx engine was way advanced for emission control in it's era, a lot of the stuff you see on it they're using on current model cars. I got a turbo here from a late model wrx that's even cleaner , everything in the older cars was factored to last unlike the crap they build these days. Recycling has proven not to be cheap or even cost effective.

Haakon

My point is that they make a problem to solve a problem. The twin turboed 300zx engine was way advanced for emission control in it's era, a lot of the stuff you see on it they're using on current model cars. I got a turbo here from a late model wrx that's even cleaner , everything in the older cars was factored to last unlike the crap they build these days. Recycling has proven not to be cheap or even cost effective.
How do you define cleaner? Euro IV, V and VI define it as the emissions of CO, HC, NOx, SOx and particulates.

The internal combustion engine is about at its engineering limit for economical improvements in efficiency and emissions and everything is compromise. Reductions in real emissions often come with costs, both manufacturing and maintenance. So long as it lasts the warranty period and meets regulations, they will build it at least cost.

Those regulations are only going to get tighter, and so to meet them we will be seeing a lot more hybridisation along with diesels being fucked off as a prelude to more extensive electrification of the fleet. Cant come soon enough.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
How do you define cleaner? Euro IV, V and VI define it as the emissions of CO, HC, NOx, SOx and particulates.

The internal combustion engine is about at its engineering limit for economical improvements in efficiency and emissions and everything is compromise. Reductions in real emissions often come with costs, both manufacturing and maintenance. So long as it lasts the warranty period and meets regulations, they will build it at least cost.

Those regulations are only going to get tighter, and so to meet them we will be seeing a lot more hybridisation along with diesels being fucked off as a prelude to more extensive electrification of the fleet. Cant come soon enough.
There's other forms of transport but Australia isn't very accommodating towards it, like cycling. :)

If Australia was really worried about vehicle emissions they would do road side testing more often. Drive behind a lot of these European cars with your window down and vents open and smell what comes out of them. When people drive cars with their foot flat to accelerate as fast as they can and as they do with this weird city style of driving, raw hydrocarbons pour of the tail tail pipe, emission controls do sweet f all in that instant .

Anyway, my main point isn't about vehicle emissions, it's about making a production engine so cheap that it needs an oil catch can.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Parallel and square bores in an open deck Eco-boost block is maybe asking too much?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Parallel and square bores in an open deck Eco-boost block is maybe asking too much?
With oil so thin that it evaporates as soon as you look at it to save a poofteenth of drag. It seems that everything is made well up until the point one part breaks and then you need to throw the whole unit away. I can't see that removing a whole engine on a car that is 10 years old or more and replacing it with a complete unit because it's not economical to repair is being environmentally friendly.

Haakon

My little 0.9 3 cylinder Clio was sort of an emissions cheat and a greta example of why downsized turbo engiines are not always a great idea - it was astoundingly efficient on the official test cycle, but in real world driving where you cane it (because its a 900cc engine in a 1000kg car!! Plus it was a willing little thing that loved to be thrashed :) ) it would routinely dump extra fuel in to manage combustion temperatures. Excess hydrocarbons up the wazoo...

Haakon

Drive behind a lot of these European cars with your window down and vents open and smell what comes out of them. .
I can tell if that VW/Audi/Skoda 5 cars ahead on the freeway is diesel or not. Feral stinky shitboxes. Any 4wd/suv i just hit recycle immediately so I can avoid choking on selfish wanker fumes...

Haakon

I can't see that removing a whole engine on a car that is 10 years old or more and replacing it with a complete unit because it's not economical to repair is being environmentally friendly.
No one does that anymore, you just scrap the whole thing and get a new one... And whilst to many its counter intuitive, that's not always a terrible environmental outcome.