Old and angry: what pisses you off? The rants of ANGRY old men and women!

Flow-Rider

Burner
MTB are so expensive these days. Looking to replace my rig, Pikes up front, 140 stock RS shock at the back, alu, xt gruppo.

Same bike is looking at $5k + in that spec and that's if I can get it in stock.

Gonna keep riding my rig methinks - this is nuts.

/endrant
Yep, that's my conclusion also, a lot it has got to cool down after they open the borders.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I stopped looking at prices once I ordered a frame.
It got way too depressing.

Same spec level but a few years newer = a few thousand more. Fml.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
MTB are so expensive these days. Looking to replace my rig, Pikes up front, 140 stock RS shock at the back, alu, xt gruppo.

/endrant
AN XT equipped bike will run you $7-8k, if you can find one.
If you can grab one at $5k and afford it in today's market, I would grab it

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mounta...5-cf-8/3188.html?dwvar_3188_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK

Not meant to be an endorsement for Canyon, but XT under $7k, plus shipping, looks like large is actually in stock. Decent price for the build vs similarly specced boutique brands, but still a load of cash to spend regardless and highlights how expensive the retail brands have become.

It’s the muppets on FB asking for new price or higher for near new second hand bikes because they’re out of stock that grind my gears at the moment. Put a pair of coloured grips or a mudguard on an otherwise stock bike and suddenly it’s a custom build worth hundreds more.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mounta...5-cf-8/3188.html?dwvar_3188_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK

Not meant to be an endorsement for Canyon, but XT under $7k, plus shipping, looks like large is actually in stock. Decent price for the build vs similarly specced boutique brands, but still a load of cash to spend regardless and highlights how expensive the retail brands have become.

It’s the muppets on FB asking for new price or higher for near new second hand bikes because they’re out of stock that grind my gears at the moment. Put a pair of coloured grips or a mudguard on an otherwise stock bike and suddenly it’s a custom build worth hundreds more.
Yep. My mate has been searching for ages for a decent trial/enduro bike for his son for under $5000. I sent him the link to the new canyons. They look like they will be cheaper then anything comparable secondhand on Facebook.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

/endrant
My 10 year old carbon Anthem is still in play because of this. It's not the ideal bike for around here and I don't ride it enough as a result but the financial impediments to replacing an otherwise perfectly functional bike are just too great...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Also think about building something around a new frame/forks/shock and moving as many parts as you can across from the old bike to mitigate the costs somewhat.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Working with people that dont give any fucks. I don't give a single fuck what is happening in your world outside of work, if you come in...expect to work. I'm not carrying the slack so you can just stand there and gossip.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If you can grab one at $5k and afford it in today's market, I would grab it
By same spec I meant '11 speed' deore. I don't mind that but forks make a world of difference and I can't go from a pike to a gold35.

Thinking of trying to snap up a cheap 120mm 15x100 fork and making my other XC rig a bit more trail as a side rig - it hardly gets any ride time.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Bloody shovel leaners 'working' on a section of road during my commute today. Completely blocking off a heavily used bike path, but only one end. So you get stuck and have to backtrack half a km, or climb a concrete barrier with your bike onto a main road to continue. Giving me stupid looks when I mentioned I rode through just fine last week - telling me "it's a changing works zone" like that's supposed to mean something.

Put some signs up douchebags. So people don't ride down and get stuck. If it was a main road that you blocked off there would have to be a sign-posted detour. Fark.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m seeing this more lately…..
Douches who sit 6’ left of the centre line when making a right turn on a single lane road, so no one can get past them on their left and have to wait until oncoming traffic has cleared and they make their turn.
I’m generally a mellow, patient driver, but the urge to employ my bullbar is increasing. Is there a limit to how loud an air horn you can legally fit? Asking for a friend.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Douches who sit 6’ left of the centre line when making a right turn on a single lane road, so no one can get past them on their left and have to wait until oncoming traffic has cleared and they make their turn.
I’m generally a mellow, patient driver, but the urge to employ my bullbar is increasing. Is there a limit to how loud an air horn you can legally fit? Asking for a friend.
...and refusing to pull out unless there's a big enough gap you could drive a B-double through, slowly?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
As far as I can tell this is a typical Ballaratbag move. They can't get into a turning lane properly, how could they ever leave space on a single lane road?
Not to mention the lack of indicators, pulling out into oncoming traffic to get around a parked car or using a fucking roundabout properly. Ballarat has the most roundabouts in regional Victoria, you'd think they'd have figured it out by now!
Don't get me started on the fuckers who have to park right outside the place they are visiting. Even if it's a no parking zone.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As far as I can tell this is a typical Ballaratbag move. They can't get into a turning lane properly, how could they ever leave space on a single lane road?
Not to mention the lack of indicators, pulling out into oncoming traffic to get around a parked car or using a fucking roundabout properly. Ballarat has the most roundabouts in regional Victoria, you'd think they'd have figured it out by now!
Don't get me started on the fuckers who have to park right outside the place they are visiting. Even if it's a no parking zone.
I like this
Not sure what @Labcanary is on about? Needs to be clearer, too many missing letters. And yes!