The greatest question of them all

• Aussie Aussie Aussie!!

Votes: 124 80.0%
  • Oi!! Oi!! Oi!!!!

Votes: 31 20.0%

• Total voters

MOXAB

Likes Dirt
Yeah, bad luck to graves, disapointing there but anyway I'm still kinda happy cos im half Latvian so yeah:D

Beej1

I feel so sorry for the guy (Graves). The blowout at Fort Bill last year, being crashed out by another rider in Italy this year, and crashed out again at the Olympics. That photo of him sitting with his head in his hands at Italy ... man, he's proving a lot by keeping his chin up and continuing to perform so well.

I understand this is just the way racing goes, and you can't be too vindictive towards the rider who crashes Jared out, but I have to say, if he's riding in Canberra next weekend, and something like this happens, I imagine I will feel like decking whoever knocks him out of the race. Hopefully he just gets so far in front it won't be of concern ....

Great effort though to get as far as he did.

Ryan

Radministrator
Just watched the replay over here in the UK. Gutted :(

In the women's final, I think that Reade's move in the last corner wasn't deliberately dirty, just a dick move. There was no way she was sticking it and if she hadn't hit AC she would have been over the edge of the berm anyway. AC wasn't even knocked off line though. Because she is an axe, made of meat. What a rider, head and shoulders above any female bike rider ever in my opinion.

Jared got a bad gate in his final but his first corner move was a fucking stunner. Again, I don't think the move that brought him down was deliberately dirty, just another dick move that was never going to stick. As soon as I saw the Saffa setting up inside Graves I was cringing. No way was he keeping it upright on that line at that pace.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hey I'm a South African anyone got any problems they can talk to me!
There were plenty of stacks all week, and he was trying to make a passing move which just didn't pay off.
Unlucky for Jarred, but don't make it personal, it's just the way it goes.

Hope Jarred is at the World Cup so I can give him a round of aplause great effort for a mtb'r.
Contemplating a ban.

cjaty

Likes Dirt

Great effort for a rider you mean.He has achived more in cycling in different styles than a lot of pros have done in just one class.I could have cryed for him today

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Yeah, I'm starting to think Jared has a massive target on his back. Ah well, stellar effort on his behalf in not only making the final, but putting in an effort that made the top 3 fight. He'd be ride great over the two days of competition and I'm sure if the final was run a couple times he would win at least one of them.

The year is not completely over though, Jared will be attending Canberra next weekend so lets hope he can take out the 4x and get a little bit back.

molzy13

Likes Dirt
Whats with everyone dissing the South African? It was a legit move and it didn't pay off. Graves is unlucky but give the South African a break!
yeah i thought he was a really sick rider. went awesome in the quaterfinals, i loved watching him. i could see it coming as he was stuck on the outside line coming into the corner. but still give him a break:)

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
Graves had a shit gate but his first corner was unreal. His exit speed seemed very high considering his line. Many riders were hitting that line and had no speed down the second straight. The first jump out of the corner is what cost him. He over jumped a little and lost a bunch of momentum and thats when Day, Robinson and Nhlapo lined the inside run into turn 2.

Watch the race and check out Donny Robinson's line into the turn. A lot more risky then Nhlapo's. Once again, I'm already sick of people saying it was a take out move and that it wasn't on. I idol Graves and was extremely cut when he crashed but I never saw that move from Nhlapo as a take out move.

I think we all just need to be proud of what Graves, Kama, Madill, Callisto and Bailey did for Australia. Makes me extremely proud to be Australian and more so a Bmxer.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Sarah Walker was also fckn unluckly!!! That chick rocks and it would have been great to have the Kiwi up there getting a medal!!! 4th but no cigar:D
Gutted when I saw her just miss out. the Booker's are close mates of mine, and she'd been training so hard for this. ah well, better luck next time.

Think old mate who took out Gravesy was a bit too carelesss though. same as read.
AC put in a great effort

Andrew.

gilly101

Likes Dirt
Gotta feel it for Jared but, final and another take out. Is he destined to get a 1st other than in wourld cup rounds? Lets hope so!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Jarrod!!! Oh no! He truly gave it his all! Awesome effort! I think the South African’s inside move would have been nothing short of legendary had he pulled it off.
Echos my sentiment exactly. Nhlapo just came into that corner too hot, too inside on the berm and on the wrong side of Jared to pull that off. I think there was a chance he could have pulled it, and wow... that would have been incredible... but anybody who's raced BMX before knows that when the stakes are high, you've got ground to make up, and you're cookin', the brain usually doesn't have time to make split-second judgments on whether to back off from a move or not... I don't begrudge Nhlapo. What a great rider, and after Graves, I really wanted him to medal as well. :(

Now Reade... she definitely had more than a split second to think about her corner before making that dumb decision. Instead of pulling on the brakes, it looks like she wanted to change her line to conserve her speed. Bad decision. She could be THE female BMX'er if she matched her power with a little improvement in skills and better judgment.

I think that first corner by Jared will go down in the history as one of the textbook examples of how to come from behind in the holeshot through the corner. Stunning.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Graves and Kama were just on Channel 7's "Yum Cha" morning show. Poor bloke (Graves) was gutted, but great to see him getting some exposure. I wish they would tell everyone about all of his other abilities, so that it isn't just us that know how good he is!!!

Wal.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Echos my sentiment exactly. Nhlapo just came into that corner too hot, too inside on the berm and on the wrong side of Jared to pull that off. I think there was a chance he could have pulled it, and wow... that would have been incredible... but anybody who's raced BMX before knows that when the stakes are high, you've got ground to make up, and you're cookin', the brain usually doesn't have time to make split-second judgments on whether to back off from a move or not... I don't begrudge Nhlapo. What a great rider, and after Graves, I really wanted him to medal as well. :(

Now Reade... she definitely had more than a split second to think about her corner before making that dumb decision. Instead of pulling on the brakes, it looks like she wanted to change her line to conserve her speed. Bad decision. She could be THE female BMX'er if she matched her power with a little improvement in skills and better judgment.
I agree entirely about Nhlapo, just an unfortunate outcome for all involved, I'm not so sure about Reade though. I don't think it was necessarily a takeout move, but to me it stank of a dive way too deep to try and force Anne-Caro wider again, and shake her up. I don't think Reade had much of a chance to catch AC on the final straight unless she made her lose some of her speed. I bet know she's just wishing she'd been a bit more conservative and held on for silver though.
Hindishgt, ay?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I bet know she's just wishing she'd been a bit more conservative and held on for silver though.
Hindishgt, ay?
Yep. You got it. I guess Reade just got a bit greedy and wanted that gold, even though she had almost no chance at that point of getting it. Now she's got nuttin'.:(

Joly Joe Rider

Likes Dirt
Awesome to see the BMX on tv. I had all the boys from SBR watching the final and although they hadn't even heard of him we were all devo'ed to see him go out. Either way proud of his efforts.